Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Some tear-off browser menus would be nice

Some tear-off browser menus would be nice

Jonathan N. Little

dorayme wrote:
> In article<jlev0s$r6l$(E-Mail Removed)>,

>> Like this?
>>
>> <http://www.littleworksstudio.com/temp/usenet/curveflyout.jpg>
>>

> Yes, I think that is it! I assume you can grab that specific "Curve
> Flyout" and drag it around to anywhere you are working.

Yes

<snip>

>> ... the
>> creative composing process pulls from multiple sources flipping through
>> windows is not as efficient as seeing them all at once. Just the way I
>> work. As soon and I can swing it I will probably get a third monitor.
>>

> I understand. It is one of the main reasons I have gotten used to
> multiple screens though for a while now, I have had to be more
> disciplined because my laptop does not support anything but its tiny
> miserable self as second screen and it is less than useful as a
> result. I am hoping to remedy this a purchase of a machine that will
> support two independent big screens (like my old now not much used
> non-Intel Mac tower that sits under a desk nearby). But one thing, I
> had three screens once, but found it promoted indiscipline and neck
> problems.

>> My fear is, and this is OS-independent because they are all trending
>> this way, that the quest for the single universal UI is folly. What
>> works for a phone may not for a desktop. Touch is the new sexy thing,
>> but I have no need for a touch for my work, but all the new UI are
>> leaning towards touch at the *expense* of mouse and keyboard. I just
>> want choice and control of how I work.

> Me too! And in the trendy Mac world, the danger may be greater.

It is not confined to Mac, although I do blame Jobs and his disdain for
button and labels and sold the multitude on style-over-function that MS
and Linux feel compelled to follow...Unity, Metro, ugh!

> Talking gadgets, btw, I am thinking of a book reader. I want one that
> I can put PDFs that I have or can get, as well as downloading from
> commercial and *public* libraries. I don't get straight answers from
> salesmen in shops about their capabilities and restrictions so need to
> research it. A friend bought a Kindle, loves it, but was surprised at
> how expensive so many books cost to put on it. That worried me, she is
> no cheapskate like me!

PDFs don't work well on the readers because they are like
pixels-perfect-websites where they don't re-flow, especially where aging
eyes need to increase the font size... If you can get it in another
format like ePub or HTML it is better.

I got my wife Kindle, the B&W e-ink type. Very, very easy to read. Now
this if for text because of the nice contrast and it does no glow like a
Fire or iPad. If you want multimedia, then they are the ones to get but
for *reading* the e-ink is better.

First thing is there are tons of free books out there, especially if you
look beyond the latest best-seller publications. Places the like
<http://www.gutenberg.org/>. A must browse site.

Next, Kindle to date does not support the ubiquitous ePub format. The
*must-have* software is Calibre <http://calibre-ebook.com/> It runs on
Win|Mac|Linux and is a great library management and format conversion
tool. I don't get books via my Kindle, but use Calibre and then sync the
Kindle. I give it 5 stars. I can find all kinds of ePub books and I just
convert to mobi for the Kindle.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

dorayme

In article <jlfius$fn6$(E-Mail Removed)>,

> dorayme wrote:

> > Talking gadgets, btw, I am thinking of a book reader. I want one that
> > I can put PDFs that I have or can get, as well as downloading from
> > commercial and *public* libraries. I don't get straight answers from
> > salesmen in shops about their capabilities and restrictions so need to
> > research it. A friend bought a Kindle, loves it, but was surprised at
> > how expensive so many books cost to put on it. That worried me, she is
> > no cheapskate like me!
> >

> PDFs don't work well on the readers because they are like
> pixels-perfect-websites where they don't re-flow, especially where aging
> eyes need to increase the font size... If you can get it in another
> format like ePub or HTML it is better.
>
> I got my wife Kindle, the B&W e-ink type. Very, very easy to read. Now
> this if for text because of the nice contrast and it does no glow like a
> Fire or iPad. If you want multimedia, then they are the ones to get but
> for *reading* the e-ink is better.
>
> First thing is there are tons of free books out there, especially if you
> look beyond the latest best-seller publications. Places the like
> <http://www.gutenberg.org/>. A must browse site.
>
> Next, Kindle to date does not support the ubiquitous ePub format. The
> *must-have* software is Calibre <http://calibre-ebook.com/> It runs on
> Win|Mac|Linux and is a great library management and format conversion
> tool. I don't get books via my Kindle, but use Calibre and then sync the
> Kindle. I give it 5 stars. I can find all kinds of ePub books and I just
> convert to mobi for the Kindle.

Thanks very much for this, downloaded already, and passed on links to
friend with Kindle, and will very probably go and get a Kindle for
myself. Yes, I have already worked out that it is the B&W e-ink type
that I want.

--
dorayme

Jonathan N. Little

dorayme wrote:
> Thanks very much for this, downloaded already, and passed on links to
> friend with Kindle, and will very probably go and get a Kindle for
> myself. Yes, I have already worked out that it is the B&W e-ink type
> that I want.

Yes I have been happy with the Kindle. I want to get the Touch, but the
store was all out so I got the cheapy with the page buttons. It fine as
long as you don't have to enter much in...it's like texting. My only
wish is that I wish it was a little bit larger, but not as large as an
iPad. More like 1 inch. What I do is rotate the text 90 degrees.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

dorayme

In article <jlfv6j$i4c$(E-Mail Removed)>,

> dorayme wrote:
> > Thanks very much for this, downloaded already, and passed on links to
> > friend with Kindle, and will very probably go and get a Kindle for
> > myself. Yes, I have already worked out that it is the B&W e-ink type
> > that I want.

> Yes I have been happy with the Kindle. I want to get the Touch, but the
> store was all out so I got the cheapy with the page buttons. It fine as
> long as you don't have to enter much in...it's like texting. My only
> wish is that I wish it was a little bit larger, but not as large as an
> iPad. More like 1 inch. What I do is rotate the text 90 degrees.

Yes, last time I saw one I was thinking a tad bigger would be nice.
But I rate highly light and easy to carry. For me, it will be a mere
reader, I have enough computing on my desk already, the idea is for a
quite different life outside.

Yes, iPad seems to me too large, but really and above this (though
they, of course, tend to go together*) too heavy to add as an extra
when on the move. It is nice, of course.

-----
* In this world they do. But not necessarily, there might be a world
in which some bigger is lighter just as there might be a world where
offspring are born bigger than their parents. <g>

--
dorayme

Jonathan N. Little

dorayme wrote:
> Yes, last time I saw one I was thinking a tad bigger would be nice.
> But I rate highly light and easy to carry. For me, it will be a mere
> reader, I have enough computing on my desk already, the idea is for a
> quite different life outside.

I got a nice leather cover so it is like a small thin book. If you turn
off WiFi (I use Calibre via USB to load it) the battery lasts a long
long time, in the order of a month...

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

dorayme

In article <jlgcmo$kn8$(E-Mail Removed)>,

> dorayme wrote:
> > Yes, last time I saw one I was thinking a tad bigger would be nice.
> > But I rate highly light and easy to carry. For me, it will be a mere
> > reader, I have enough computing on my desk already, the idea is for a
> > quite different life outside.

> I got a nice leather cover so it is like a small thin book. If you turn
> off WiFi (I use Calibre via USB to load it) the battery lasts a long
> long time, in the order of a month...

That's a good tip! When I get mine, I will have a running start,
thanks to you.

Have been looking at where to get, seem cheaper direct from Amazon
rather in a local store here. But I need to check this out, and local
comes with easy guarantee (meaning if it has anything wrong for a
while, you just take it back, they never argue).

These touch ones I am always thinking have more to go wrong, and your
paws are always groping all over where you read, I am *half* thinking
to go for a touch one.

Just might be nice to navigate and look cool while at it. You can't be
too careful, with the increasing interference of govts, they might
have spotters to round up old fashioned types and send them to camps.

--
dorayme

Jonathan N. Little

dorayme wrote:
> In article<jlgcmo$kn8$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Jonathan N. Little"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> dorayme wrote:
>>> Yes, last time I saw one I was thinking a tad bigger would be nice.
>>> But I rate highly light and easy to carry. For me, it will be a mere
>>> reader, I have enough computing on my desk already, the idea is for a
>>> quite different life outside.

>> I got a nice leather cover so it is like a small thin book. If you turn
>> off WiFi (I use Calibre via USB to load it) the battery lasts a long
>> long time, in the order of a month...

> That's a good tip! When I get mine, I will have a running start,
> thanks to you.
>
> Have been looking at where to get, seem cheaper direct from Amazon
> rather in a local store here. But I need to check this out, and local
> comes with easy guarantee (meaning if it has anything wrong for a
> while, you just take it back, they never argue).

I was surprise at how robust they feel. Really solid.

> These touch ones I am always thinking have more to go wrong, and your
> paws are always groping all over where you read, I am *half* thinking
> to go for a touch one.

It might be easier to page turn and not to use that 4-way button to move
the pointer. But other than that for $80 USD the non-touch is quite a
bargain. I think that is Amazon strategy, keep it cheap and you you mind
getting more than one. You can get a standard Kindle and a Fire for less
that an iPad and with the two do the same...except fulfill the
I-have-an-iPad smug factor!