Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Will a fax machine work on voip?

Will a fax machine work on voip?

John

All in one phone/fax machine. If you switch to voip and use it
through an ATA, will the fax machine still work?

--
John

David Woolley

John wrote:
> All in one phone/fax machine. If you switch to voip and use it
> through an ATA, will the fax machine still work?

If the ATA uses the same codec as the PSTN (G.711 A-Law in the UK) and
the propagation delay is low enough, it should work. (G.711 mu-law
should also work, at least as well as faxing to the US).

If it uses T.38 encoding of fax and regenerates the fax signal, it
should also work.

If it uses GSM or G.729 without T.38, there is no hope.

Gordon Henderson

In article <jlbcd4$4ie$(E-Mail Removed)>,
David Woolley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>John wrote:
>> All in one phone/fax machine. If you switch to voip and use it
>> through an ATA, will the fax machine still work?

>If the ATA uses the same codec as the PSTN (G.711 A-Law in the UK) and
>the propagation delay is low enough, it should work. (G.711 mu-law
>should also work, at least as well as faxing to the US).

It's not so much propogation (latency) as jitter and packet loss.

Although I've demonstrated it working, I'd never give anyone any
sort of guarantees whatsoever of it working for real.

>If it uses T.38 encoding of fax and regenerates the fax signal, it
>should also work.

If you can find a provider that'll terminate the T.38...

>If it uses GSM or G.729 without T.38, there is no hope.

Indeed.

Basically, it might work and if it does, then great, but doesn't
expect it to and use something else - e.g. email. What I have done
for clients in the past is ported their FAX number to a FAX to Email
service, then connected their legacy FAX maching to their standard
BT line for outgoung faxes (and make sure they withold the number
so people don't try to fax back on it) That seems to work fine when
people have a small number of FAXes to send, but still need to recieve
them.

Gordon

John

On Mon, 2 Apr 2012 11:43:54 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Henderson
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <jlbcd4$4ie$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>David Woolley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>John wrote:
>>> All in one phone/fax machine. If you switch to voip and use it
>>> through an ATA, will the fax machine still work?

>>If the ATA uses the same codec as the PSTN (G.711 A-Law in the UK) and
>>the propagation delay is low enough, it should work. (G.711 mu-law
>>should also work, at least as well as faxing to the US).

>It's not so much propogation (latency) as jitter and packet loss.
>
>Although I've demonstrated it working, I'd never give anyone any
>sort of guarantees whatsoever of it working for real.
>
>>If it uses T.38 encoding of fax and regenerates the fax signal, it
>>should also work.

>If you can find a provider that'll terminate the T.38...
>
>>If it uses GSM or G.729 without T.38, there is no hope.

>Indeed.
>
>Basically, it might work and if it does, then great, but doesn't
>expect it to and use something else - e.g. email. What I have done
>for clients in the past is ported their FAX number to a FAX to Email
>service, then connected their legacy FAX maching to their standard
>BT line for outgoung faxes (and make sure they withold the number
>so people don't try to fax back on it) That seems to work fine when
>people have a small number of FAXes to send, but still need to recieve
>them.
>
>Gordon

Thanks Gordon and David. It's not a major issue as very few faxes are
sent, but was just curious as to whether it would.
--
John

David Woolley

Gordon Henderson wrote:

> It's not so much propogation (latency) as jitter and packet loss.

Propagation delay is important for some modem applications, because the
modem handshaking has very tight time constraints for some applications.
21CN is actually VoIP under the hood (so fax does work over VoIP), but
some modems can no longer be used. I think this particularly affects
ones in alarm systems.

Woody

"David Woolley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jlfbpl$d3c$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Gordon Henderson wrote:
>

>> It's not so much propogation (latency) as jitter and packet
>> loss.
>>

> Propagation delay is important for some modem applications,
> because the modem handshaking has very tight time constraints
> for some applications. 21CN is actually VoIP under the hood (so
> fax does work over VoIP), but some modems can no longer be
> used. I think this particularly affects ones in alarm systems.

21CN may be voip underneath but it is only a protocol and will be
working over dedicated circuits.

Voip for we mere mortals is through the Interweb will all its
delays, routes, and anything else you can think of, so if it does
work at all it may at best be unreliable and at worst produce
cr*p.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

David Woolley

Woody wrote:

> 21CN may be voip underneath but it is only a protocol and will be
> working over dedicated circuits.

I don't believe they are dedicated to voice. To me it only really makes
sense if they share with the back haul circuits that support BT provided
wholesale IP services, as well.

The traffic will be prioritised, but that is also something that a
competent network manager and a VoIP friendly ISP would do.

> Voip for we mere mortals is through the Interweb will all its
> delays, routes, and anything else you can think of, so if it does
> work at all it may at best be unreliable and at worst produce
> cr*p.

Stephen

On Mon, 02 Apr 2012 12:54:16 +0100, John
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 2 Apr 2012 11:43:54 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Henderson
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>In article <jlbcd4$4ie$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>>David Woolley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>>If the ATA uses the same codec as the PSTN (G.711 A-Law in the UK) and
>>>the propagation delay is low enough, it should work. (G.711 mu-law
>>>should also work, at least as well as faxing to the US).

>>It's not so much propogation (latency) as jitter and packet loss.
>>
>>Although I've demonstrated it working, I'd never give anyone any
>>sort of guarantees whatsoever of it working for real.
>>
>>>If it uses T.38 encoding of fax and regenerates the fax signal, it
>>>should also work.

>>If you can find a provider that'll terminate the T.38...
>>
>>>If it uses GSM or G.729 without T.38, there is no hope.

>>Indeed.
>>
>>Basically, it might work and if it does, then great, but doesn't
>>expect it to and use something else - e.g. email. What I have done
>>for clients in the past is ported their FAX number to a FAX to Email
>>service, then connected their legacy FAX maching to their standard
>>BT line for outgoung faxes (and make sure they withold the number
>>so people don't try to fax back on it) That seems to work fine when
>>people have a small number of FAXes to send, but still need to recieve
>>them.
>>
>>Gordon

>Thanks Gordon and David. It's not a major issue as very few faxes are
>sent, but was just curious as to whether it would.

If you use Fax over VoIP where there is QoS on the access line (ie not
just over a normal Internet feed) then the loss rate can be very low.

But - that isnt going to be particularly cost effective unless you
need that link for other things, and plain old analog voice is
probably cheaper.....
--
Regards