Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: Why CSS is better than HTML Table?

Re: Why CSS is better than HTML Table?

Andreas Prilop

On Sat, 31 Mar 2012, Alan_Smith wrote:

> There are some reasons why CSS is better than HTML table:

I believe quantum mechanics is better than surgery.

--
In memoriam Alan J. Flavell
http://www.alanflavell.org.uk/charset/

Martin Edwards

On 31/03/2012 15:50, Andreas Prilop wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Mar 2012, Alan_Smith wrote:
>
>> There are some reasons why CSS is better than HTML table:

> I believe quantum mechanics is better than surgery.

You are accusing the poster of category confusion, but there is a point
here. Tables should be used for tables. Used for anything else they
are a confounded nuisance.

--
Myth, after all, is what we believe naturally. History is what we must
painfully learn and struggle to remember. -Albert Goldman

Jukka K. Korpela

2012-04-01 13:23, Martin Edwards wrote:

> Tables should be used for tables. Used for anything else they are
> a confounded nuisance.

The most vulgar forms of the anti-table-movement tend to attack
undeniable tabular data too, requiring minced tag approaches (div, div,
div, span, span, span, with loads of tricky, kludgy, and unreliable CSS
code) to them as well.

In the more educated circles, there are endless debates of what is a
"real table" or "tabular data". What you call a table tells more about
you than the data. This makes the vulgar form somewhat reasonable. Why
waste time on cutting hairs when you can spend it on coding?

It's usually pointless to debate against the anti-table-movement, in any
of its form. Just as it is pointless to debate on religion or to fight
against superstitions.

The real problem with using tables for layout was the complexity of the
designs and the requirements on pixel-exactness. In most cases, the div
+ CSS school has just made the situation worse. They keep repeating
dogmas they learned from somewhere, without ever stopping to cite any
factual evidence. The most honest of their dogmas is "layout tables are
outdated".

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

dorayme

In article <jlasqn$fdb$(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Edward A. Falk) wrote:

> Fanny Dooley still likes CSS and hates Tables.

Why do you think that is?

--
dorayme

Edward A. Falk

In article <(E-Mail Removed)-hannover.de>,
Andreas Prilop <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Sat, 31 Mar 2012, Alan_Smith wrote:
>
>> There are some reasons why CSS is better than HTML table:

>I believe quantum mechanics is better than surgery.

Maybe, but Fanny Dooley still likes CSS and hates Tables.

--
-Ed Falk, (E-Mail Removed)
http://thespamdiaries.blogspot.com/

Gene Wirchenko

On Mon, 2 Apr 2012 00:45:11 +0000 (UTC), (E-Mail Removed) (Edward A.
Falk) wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)-hannover.de>,
>Andreas Prilop <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>On Sat, 31 Mar 2012, Alan_Smith wrote:
>>
>>> There are some reasons why CSS is better than HTML table:

>>I believe quantum mechanics is better than surgery.

>Maybe, but Fanny Dooley still likes CSS and hates Tables.

I use CSS in my tables. And why not? They are two different
things for two different purposes.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

se

"Gene Wirchenko" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelelsen
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 2 Apr 2012 00:45:11 +0000 (UTC), (E-Mail Removed) (Edward A.
> Falk) wrote:
>
>>In article <(E-Mail Removed)-hannover.de>,
>>Andreas Prilop <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>I believe quantum mechanics is better than surgery.

>>Maybe, but Fanny Dooley still likes CSS and hates Tables.

> I use CSS in my tables. And why not? They are two different
> things for two different purposes.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Gene Wirchenko

Yeah, exactly; That's it. Prophets on newsgroups trying to build up
lack of self-confidence - he's a pain.
/se

Martin Edwards

On 01/04/2012 11:36, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
> 2012-04-01 13:23, Martin Edwards wrote:
>
>> Tables should be used for tables. Used for anything else they are
>> a confounded nuisance.

> The most vulgar forms of the anti-table-movement tend to attack
> undeniable tabular data too, requiring minced tag approaches (div, div,
> div, span, span, span, with loads of tricky, kludgy, and unreliable CSS
> code) to them as well.
>
> In the more educated circles, there are endless debates of what is a
> "real table" or "tabular data". What you call a table tells more about
> you than the data. This makes the vulgar form somewhat reasonable. Why
> waste time on cutting hairs when you can spend it on coding?
>
> It's usually pointless to debate against the anti-table-movement, in any
> of its form. Just as it is pointless to debate on religion or to fight
> against superstitions.
>
> The real problem with using tables for layout was the complexity of the
> designs and the requirements on pixel-exactness. In most cases, the div
> + CSS school has just made the situation worse. They keep repeating
> dogmas they learned from somewhere, without ever stopping to cite any
> factual evidence. The most honest of their dogmas is "layout tables are
> outdated".

Thanks for revealing this area of debate to me. I don't know anyone
else who is into computing personally, so I get all my information online.

--

On 02/04/2012 01:45, Edward A. Falk wrote:
> In article<(E-Mail Removed). uni-hannover.de>,
> Andreas Prilop<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Sat, 31 Mar 2012, Alan_Smith wrote:
>>
>>> There are some reasons why CSS is better than HTML table:

>> I believe quantum mechanics is better than surgery.

> Maybe, but Fanny Dooley still likes CSS and hates Tables.

And what about poor old Dicey Riley? She's taken to the cup. As for
me, I've lost my fallooran.

--

On 02/04/2012 00:54, dorayme wrote:
> In article<jlasqn$fdb$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) (Edward A. Falk) wrote:
>
>> Fanny Dooley still likes CSS and hates Tables.

> Why do you think that is?

Who knows what is in another person's mind?