Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Need lenses

Need lenses

J. Clarke

> "Max" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
> > "J. Clarke" wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) in.local...
> >
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
> > says...

> >> And here's a review of that lens.
> >>
> >> http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ns-Review.aspx
> >>
> >> John

> > Personally I've got the 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM and it is my least
> > favorite lens. The biggest annoyance is the lack of full-time manual
> > focusing--if it's in autofocus you have to switch off autofocus to focus
> > manually--one of these days I'm going to forget and force the damned
> > thing and bust it.

> Interesting. Full-time manual focus is something that my main lenses
> now have -- but I've never, ever, used it intentionally. In fact, I
> kind of consider it a danger -- I can bump the focus by mistake, so I
> have to be careful where my hands go on the lens.
>
> The only place I've wanted it is on my macro lens -- which doesn't have it.

Haven't really had that problem. Generally if I want to use manual
focus I have to hunt a bit for the ring, except on the 100 macro.

Max

"Wolfgang Weisselberg" wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...

Max <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I recently purchased a Canon EOS 60D (very slightly used and at a good
>> price)
>> I would like some recommendations for two Canon lenses:
>> a "wide" zoom and a tele zoom.

>How wide, how tele and how high is the budget?

Equivalent to a 28 in a 35MM SLR on the wide end and slightly beyond the
wide end of an appropriate telephoto zoom.
The budget isn't *necessarily* a serious consideration but how logical would
it be to spend an inordinate amount of money on lenses to go with the
particular camera I have?
As I mentioned in a previous post, I am not a professional photographer but
my wife and I travel around the country a lot and I take a lot of pictures.

>For example, there's the 10-22 EF-S as an ultrawide --- wide
>enough?

Wider than I anticipate using.

>Do you need fast lenses? Or would lighter, slower lenses be
>OK?

I believe my agenda would rule out the need for a "fast" lens and lightness
would be an overriding consideration.

>Do you need them to have little gap between their ranges?

Not necessarily.

>Could you be interested in a 50mm (the f/1.8 is Canon's
>cheapest lens, but optically good)? Very usable for low
>light photography ...

Possibly, at some point in the future.

>Do you actually need a tele zoom, or would a tele non-zoom
>(say one of 85mm, 100mm, 135, 200mm, 300mm, ...) be 'good
>enough' (optically they are usually better, they just don't
>have the zoom range, obviously ...).

For my purposes I think I would be better equipped with zoom lenses. While
compromises in optical quality are a consideration I doubt that they would
be significant enough to disappoint me.

>Wolfgang

Thank you for your insightful input.

Max

Robert Coe

On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 09:00:11 -0600, "Max" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:
:
: Max <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: >> I recently purchased a Canon EOS 60D (very slightly used and at a good
: >> price)
: >> I would like some recommendations for two Canon lenses:
: >> a "wide" zoom and a tele zoom.
:
: >How wide, how tele and how high is the budget?
:
: Equivalent to a 28 in a 35MM SLR on the wide end and slightly beyond the
: wide end of an appropriate telephoto zoom.
: The budget isn't *necessarily* a serious consideration but how logical would
: it be to spend an inordinate amount of money on lenses to go with the
: particular camera I have?

That's a good question. For reasons that have never been explained, Canon left
autofocus microadjustment off of the 60D. (The 50D did have it.) The more
lenses you accumulate, and the pickier you get about their performance, the
more likely you are to find the lack of this feature to be a problem. Even
Canon's very good lenses and cameras can be affected. Example: A couple of
years ago I bought my first 7D (a very good camera) and a 17-55mm f/2.8 IS (a
very good lens) to go with it. After my first (rather disastrous) photo shoot
with this new setup, I discovered that it needed 9 points (out of a possible
20) of autofocus microadjustment. Without it, the camera/lens combination was
unusable. If the 7D hadn't had the autofocus microadjustment feature, I would
have had to send at least the lens back.

Bob

Max

On 3/31/2012 9:56 AM, Robert Coe wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 09:00:11 -0600, "Max"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> :
> :
> : "Wolfgang Weisselberg" wrote in message
> : news(E-Mail Removed)...
> :
> : Max<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> :>> I recently purchased a Canon EOS 60D (very slightly used and at a good
> :>> price)
> :>> I would like some recommendations for two Canon lenses:
> :>> a "wide" zoom and a tele zoom.
> :
> :>How wide, how tele and how high is the budget?
> :
> : Equivalent to a 28 in a 35MM SLR on the wide end and slightly beyond the
> : wide end of an appropriate telephoto zoom.
> : The budget isn't *necessarily* a serious consideration but how logical would
> : it be to spend an inordinate amount of money on lenses to go with the
> : particular camera I have?
>
> That's a good question. For reasons that have never been explained, Canon left
> autofocus microadjustment off of the 60D. (The 50D did have it.) The more
> lenses you accumulate, and the pickier you get about their performance, the
> more likely you are to find the lack of this feature to be a problem. Even
> Canon's very good lenses and cameras can be affected. Example: A couple of
> years ago I bought my first 7D (a very good camera) and a 17-55mm f/2.8 IS (a
> very good lens) to go with it. After my first (rather disastrous) photo shoot
> with this new setup, I discovered that it needed 9 points (out of a possible
> 20) of autofocus microadjustment. Without it, the camera/lens combination was
> unusable. If the 7D hadn't had the autofocus microadjustment feature, I would
> have had to send at least the lens back.
>
> Bob

Interesting phenomenon. I'm glad you mentioned it.
However, I already *have* the 60D and will have to deal with it as best
I can. If I need to send a lens or camera to Canon for some sort of
adjustment I suppose I'll have to deal with it.
I do appreciate the information.

Max

Robert Coe

On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 11:06:52 -0600, Max <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: On 3/31/2012 9:56 AM, Robert Coe wrote:
: > On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 09:00:11 -0600, "Max"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: > :
: > :
: > : Max<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: > :>> I recently purchased a Canon EOS 60D (very slightly used and at a good
: > :>> price)
: > :>> I would like some recommendations for two Canon lenses:
: > :>> a "wide" zoom and a tele zoom.
: > :
: > :>How wide, how tele and how high is the budget?
: > :
: > : Equivalent to a 28 in a 35MM SLR on the wide end and slightly beyond the
: > : wide end of an appropriate telephoto zoom.
: > : The budget isn't *necessarily* a serious consideration but how logical would
: > : it be to spend an inordinate amount of money on lenses to go with the
: > : particular camera I have?
: >
[...]

I didn't mean to suggest that you should jettison your 60D, which I'm sure is
a fine camera. I'm just saying that the camera's lack of autofocus
microadjustment may place a limit on how picky you can be about the sharpness
of the lenses you use. Which in turns means that spending big bucks on
high-end lenses may not be a sensible course of action. Of course if you're
planning to keep the lenses longer than the camera, that may be a different
story.

Bob

Max

"Robert Coe" wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 11:06:52 -0600, Max <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

:
: Interesting phenomenon. I'm glad you mentioned it.
: However, I already *have* the 60D and will have to deal with it as best
: I can. If I need to send a lens or camera to Canon for some sort of
: adjustment I suppose I'll have to deal with it.
: I do appreciate the information.

>I didn't mean to suggest that you should jettison your 60D, which I'm sure
>is
>a fine camera. I'm just saying that the camera's lack of autofocus
>microadjustment may place a limit on how picky you can be about the
>sharpness
>of the lenses you use. Which in turns means that spending big bucks on

..high-end lenses may not be a sensible course of action. Of course if you're
>planning to keep the lenses longer than the camera, that may be a different
>story.

>Bob

In years past I have invested in cameras that were beyond my ambition to put
to good use.
Those cameras included:
(all Canon)
FTb
F1
A-1
EF
In most cases I used Canon lenses; one exception being a Vivitar Series 1.
(70-210)
There was a period of time when I settled for lower end cameras (Canon
SX110, SX10, etc) since they served my purposes.
Other hobbies and interests kept me from pursuing photography with
sufficient intensity to develop a deep understanding of it.
Spending the last 12 years or so traveling has spurred my interest in the
hobby.
I doubt, but one seldom knows for sure, that I would take full advantage of
camera equipment that might be more advanced than the 60D.
In fact, that particular camera just might be a bit beyond my needs as it
is.
Having said that, I still want lenses that are capable of whatever the 60D
is; not the cheapest but not the best either.
Budget has less to do with my decisions than talent and intention.

Max

Bruce

"Max" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In years past I have invested in cameras that were beyond my ambition to put
>to good use.
>Those cameras included:
>(all Canon)
>FTb
>F1
>A-1
>EF
>In most cases I used Canon lenses; one exception being a Vivitar Series 1.
>(70-210)

How much did you invest in tuition?

>There was a period of time when I settled for lower end cameras (Canon
>SX110, SX10, etc) since they served my purposes.
>Other hobbies and interests kept me from pursuing photography with
>sufficient intensity to develop a deep understanding of it.
>Spending the last 12 years or so traveling has spurred my interest in the
>hobby.
>I doubt, but one seldom knows for sure, that I would take full advantage of
>camera equipment that might be more advanced than the 60D.
>In fact, that particular camera just might be a bit beyond my needs as it
>is.
>Having said that, I still want lenses that are capable of whatever the 60D
>is; not the cheapest but not the best either.
>Budget has less to do with my decisions than talent and intention.

How much of your budget is allocated to tuition?

Max

"Bruce" wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

"Max" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>In years past I have invested in cameras that were beyond my ambition to
>>put
>>to good use.
>>Those cameras included:
>>(all Canon)
>>FTb
>>F1
>>A-1
>>EF
>>In most cases I used Canon lenses; one exception being a Vivitar Series 1.
>>(70-210)

>How much did you invest in tuition?

Very little. I first attended college on the GI bill.
Later, as I advanced in my profession I acquired an associate's degree in
Fire Technology. The city paid for the courses.
In addition I took several courses at the National Fire Academy. The
federal government paid for those.
Finally, I took certain required courses to qualify me as a state certified
dwelling inspector so I could start a business. I paid for those courses.

>>There was a period of time when I settled for lower end cameras (Canon
>>SX110, SX10, etc) since they served my purposes.
>>Other hobbies and interests kept me from pursuing photography with
>>sufficient intensity to develop a deep understanding of it.
>>Spending the last 12 years or so traveling has spurred my interest in the
>>hobby.
>>I doubt, but one seldom knows for sure, that I would take full advantage
>>of
>>camera equipment that might be more advanced than the 60D.
>>In fact, that particular camera just might be a bit beyond my needs as it
>>is.
>>Having said that, I still want lenses that are capable of whatever the 60D
>>is; not the cheapest but not the best either.
>>Budget has less to do with my decisions than talent and intention.

>How much of your budget is allocated to tuition?

There must be a motive for your question. Why do you ask?

Max

Bruce

"Max" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>"Bruce" wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>"Max" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>In years past I have invested in cameras that were beyond my ambition to
>>>put
>>>to good use.
>>>Those cameras included:
>>>(all Canon)
>>>FTb
>>>F1
>>>A-1
>>>EF
>>>In most cases I used Canon lenses; one exception being a Vivitar Series 1.
>>>(70-210)

>>How much did you invest in tuition?

>Very little. I first attended college on the GI bill.
>Later, as I advanced in my profession I acquired an associate's degree in
>Fire Technology. The city paid for the courses.
>In addition I took several courses at the National Fire Academy. The
>federal government paid for those.
>Finally, I took certain required courses to qualify me as a state certified
>dwelling inspector so I could start a business. I paid for those courses.
>

>>>There was a period of time when I settled for lower end cameras (Canon
>>>SX110, SX10, etc) since they served my purposes.
>>>Other hobbies and interests kept me from pursuing photography with
>>>sufficient intensity to develop a deep understanding of it.
>>>Spending the last 12 years or so traveling has spurred my interest in the
>>>hobby.
>>>I doubt, but one seldom knows for sure, that I would take full advantage
>>>of
>>>camera equipment that might be more advanced than the 60D.
>>>In fact, that particular camera just might be a bit beyond my needs as it
>>>is.
>>>Having said that, I still want lenses that are capable of whatever the 60D
>>>is; not the cheapest but not the best either.
>>>Budget has less to do with my decisions than talent and intention.

>>How much of your budget is allocated to tuition?

>There must be a motive for your question. Why do you ask?

I apologise. Perhaps I could have made my question clearer by asking
how much you invested in, and are budgeting for, photographic tuition?

Max

On 4/1/2012 10:26 AM, Bruce wrote:
> "Max"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> How much did you invest in tuition?

>> Very little. I first attended college on the GI bill.
>> Later, as I advanced in my profession I acquired an associate's degree in
>> Fire Technology. The city paid for the courses.
>> In addition I took several courses at the National Fire Academy. The
>> federal government paid for those.
>> Finally, I took certain required courses to qualify me as a state certified
>> dwelling inspector so I could start a business. I paid for those courses.

>>> How much of your budget is allocated to tuition?

>> There must be a motive for your question. Why do you ask?

> I apologise. Perhaps I could have made my question clearer by asking
> how much you invested in, and are budgeting for, photographic tuition?

No apology needed. I should have been more explicit in explaining my
intentions concerning photographic gear.
I have no more ambition than being an amateur.
First of all I have other hobbies that consume a significant amount of
my time.
About 25 years ago I built a 1060 sq.ft. woodworking/metalworking shop.
I've built cabinets, entertainment centers, tables, chairs, bookcases
and other similar projects. I often take photos of the projects.
I also do wrought iron work and welding.
My projects have paid for my tools, an arrangement with my spouse that
has allowed me to accumulate somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 to 50K
worth.
We travel during the warmer months, usually 4 to 6 month trips.
I take a lot of pictures.

I have learned, if nothing else, that I lack a particular talent for
taking that sort of photo that many declare as "art" or an "image".
Some people are born with that talent; some people are able to learn it.
I seem not to have it and my interest is insufficient to dedicate the
time to discover whether or not I could "learn" it.
I'm satisfied to take "snapshots" and share them with friends and family.

I appreciate your interest in my posts and for any advice and
suggestions you may have to offer.

Max, El Paso, TX