Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > UK: good London camera shops

Reply
Thread Tools

UK: good London camera shops

 
 
Joe Kotroczo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-30-2012
On 30/03/2012 15:53, David J Taylor wrote:
> "Joe Kotroczo"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On 30/03/2012 00:58, Bruce wrote:

> []
>>> Then you will already know to avoid Jessops.

>>
>> Actually I didn't. Thanks for that.
>>
>> Thanks for the info!

>
> I've actually found Jessops to be quite helpful, and they used to match
> Internet prices. I don't think they still do that, though. We have a
> Jacobs almost next door to the Jessops, and they seem to have a better
> range in stock.


Prices for the 60D seem to be the same everywhere...

So it's really a question of establishing a relationship with a shop
that has good service.


--
Illegitimi non carborundum
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
David Dyer-Bennet
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-30-2012
Joe Kotroczo <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> On 30/03/2012 14:04, J. Clarke wrote:
> (...)
>>>
>>> New digital, probably an EOS 60D with an 15-85mm. (Although someone
>>> mentioned I should also look at the Sony A77 with the 16-50mm. Hmm...)

>>
>> If you're shopping for an SLR don't look at the camera, look at the
>> system. Canon and Nikon both have very complete systems with a lot of
>> third-party support. Other manufacturers not so much. And if you're
>> not going to be using any other parts of the system then think very
>> carefully about why you're looking at an SLR in the first place.

>
> Believe me, I've thought long and hard about this. Photography is an
> important part of my job after all, even if not many people will ever
> get to see the photos.
>
> The only thing that annoys me about Canon is lack of GPS. But I can
> work around that. The thing that intrigues me about the Sony is the
> EVF. The thing that worries me about the Sony is low light
> performance.
>
> Do you really think that the Sony/Minolta system is lacking in
> completeness to the extent that you would discourage people from
> buying it?


I think it's ruled out of initial consideration by most serious
photographers for that reason.

A *few* people who know their needs very well, and are confident they're
stable, are very happy with it. And a lot of new people who haven't
gone through multiple system transitions to really understand what a
pain it is are buying it.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed); http://dd-b.net/
Snapshots: http://dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/data/
Photos: http://dd-b.net/photography/gallery/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Joe Kotroczo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-30-2012
On 30/03/2012 18:34, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
> Joe Kotroczo<(E-Mail Removed)> writes:


(...)
>> Do you really think that the Sony/Minolta system is lacking in
>> completeness to the extent that you would discourage people from
>> buying it?

>
> I think it's ruled out of initial consideration by most serious
> photographers for that reason.
>
> A *few* people who know their needs very well, and are confident they're
> stable, are very happy with it. And a lot of new people who haven't
> gone through multiple system transitions to really understand what a
> pain it is are buying it.


My needs are fairly specific and stable. I will be using the camera for
location scouting.

I've been using a variety of compacts for the last 10 years or so, and
I'm getting really tired with them. I'm looking forward to a proper
viewfinder and a body that's more comfortable to hold than my current G11.

I don't need much, a 24mm-70mm equivalent zoom, a 50mm equivalent prime,
great low light performance, a body that's big enough to hold firmly and
comfortably (bigger than a 600D body anyway). I almost never use a
flash. I'd love to have GPS in-camera, but could work around that with a
separate GPS logger.

--
Illegitimi non carborundum
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bruce
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-30-2012
Joe Kotroczo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 30/03/2012 00:58, Bruce wrote:
>
>(...)
>>>> I don't know where you are from, but if you are from North America you
>>>> are likely to get much better deals at home.
>>>
>>> Erm, I'm from London? Well, not originally, but I've been here for
>>> nearly 4 years now. Never been to the US of A, and I intend to keep it
>>> that way.

>>
>> Then you will already know to avoid Jessops.

>
>Actually I didn't. Thanks for that.
>
>Thanks for the info!



You're welcome!
 
Reply With Quote
 
J. Clarke
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-30-2012
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
>
> On 30/03/2012 18:34, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
> > Joe Kotroczo<(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>
> (...)
> >> Do you really think that the Sony/Minolta system is lacking in
> >> completeness to the extent that you would discourage people from
> >> buying it?

> >
> > I think it's ruled out of initial consideration by most serious
> > photographers for that reason.
> >
> > A *few* people who know their needs very well, and are confident they're
> > stable, are very happy with it. And a lot of new people who haven't
> > gone through multiple system transitions to really understand what a
> > pain it is are buying it.

>
> My needs are fairly specific and stable. I will be using the camera for
> location scouting.
>
> I've been using a variety of compacts for the last 10 years or so, and
> I'm getting really tired with them. I'm looking forward to a proper
> viewfinder and a body that's more comfortable to hold than my current G11.
>
> I don't need much, a 24mm-70mm equivalent zoom, a 50mm equivalent prime,
> great low light performance, a body that's big enough to hold firmly and
> comfortably (bigger than a 600D body anyway). I almost never use a
> flash. I'd love to have GPS in-camera, but could work around that with a
> separate GPS logger.


May be more than you want to spend but look at a Nikon D3S. Add the GP-
1 GPS that fits in the hot shoe, and a couple of lenses, and every one
of your points is hit. It's a large body, I don't think anything on the
market has beaten the low light performance yet, has the GPS, if not in-
camera then on-camera, and the lenses you ask for are readily available
from Nikon and from several third-parties.
 
Reply With Quote
 
David J Taylor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-31-2012
"Joe Kotroczo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
[]
> Prices for the 60D seem to be the same everywhere...
>
> So it's really a question of establishing a relationship with a shop
> that has good service.


May I ask - what particular service do you need? As you are thinking of a
mainstream camera and lens, many shops should be able to get you a repair
or replacement in the case of problems. Are you anticipating it going
wrong often? Or are you thinking buying "service" - advice on brands or
lenses? Trying the kit in your own hands and checking the menus and
function buttons and wheels is important, I think.

I used to have a good relationship when I was buying my Nikon SLRs back in
Cambridge, but these days advice is so widely available from many places
on the Internet that I've not felt the need to have a relationship with a
shop in Edinburgh (the independents have mostly gone in any case). Of
course, I'm just buying one camera and one lens every few years....

Cheers,
David

 
Reply With Quote
 
Joe Kotroczo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-31-2012
On 31/03/2012 06:51, David J Taylor wrote:
> "Joe Kotroczo"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> []
>> Prices for the 60D seem to be the same everywhere...
>>
>> So it's really a question of establishing a relationship with a shop
>> that has good service.

>
> May I ask - what particular service do you need? As you are thinking of a
> mainstream camera and lens, many shops should be able to get you a repair
> or replacement in the case of problems. Are you anticipating it going
> wrong often? Or are you thinking buying "service" - advice on brands or
> lenses? Trying the kit in your own hands and checking the menus and
> function buttons and wheels is important, I think.


It's just a way of choosing who to buy from. If the price is the same
everywhere, the only thing left as far is I can tell is to go for a
friendly and helpful shop.


--
Illegitimi non carborundum
 
Reply With Quote
 
Joe Kotroczo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-31-2012
On 31/03/2012 00:49, J. Clarke wrote:

(...)

>> I don't need much, a 24mm-70mm equivalent zoom, a 50mm equivalent prime,
>> great low light performance, a body that's big enough to hold firmly and
>> comfortably (bigger than a 600D body anyway). I almost never use a
>> flash. I'd love to have GPS in-camera, but could work around that with a
>> separate GPS logger.

>
> May be more than you want to spend but look at a Nikon D3S.


You're right, that's way way more than I want to spend.


--
Illegitimi non carborundum
 
Reply With Quote
 
Joe Kotroczo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-31-2012
On 31/03/2012 01:13, Savageduck wrote:

(...)
>>> I don't need much, a 24mm-70mm equivalent zoom, a 50mm equivalent prime,
>>> great low light performance, a body that's big enough to hold firmly and
>>> comfortably (bigger than a 600D body anyway). I almost never use a
>>> flash. I'd love to have GPS in-camera, but could work around that with a
>>> separate GPS logger.

>>
>> May be more than you want to spend but look at a Nikon D3S. Add the GP-
>> 1 GPS that fits in the hot shoe, and a couple of lenses, and every one
>> of your points is hit. It's a large body, I don't think anything on the
>> market has beaten the low light performance yet, has the GPS, if not in-
>> camera then on-camera, and the lenses you ask for are readily available
>> from Nikon and from several third-parties.

>
> I use the GP-1 with my D300S and it does a pretty good job. It will
> also work on all Nikon DSLRs from the D90 on up. In terms of
> performance vs cost the D7000 is probably the choice for APS-C Nikons,
> and the D700& D3S for full frame.


To be honest, I've pretty much ruled out Nikon purely on the grounds
that their system is too confusing. As far as I can tell, some lenses
work with some bodies but not with others, some bodies have an autofocus
motor, some haven't, and so on.



--
Illegitimi non carborundum
 
Reply With Quote
 
David J Taylor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-31-2012
"Joe Kotroczo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
[]
> To be honest, I've pretty much ruled out Nikon purely on the grounds
> that their system is too confusing. As far as I can tell, some lenses
> work with some bodies but not with others, some bodies have an autofocus
> motor, some haven't, and so on.


Canon have similar issues with their full-frame and APS-C lenses.

With Nikon, all modern lenses have auto-focus built into the lens, so
there's no need for an auto-focus motor in the body, and the entry-level
DSLRs omit the motor, saving weight and money.

Unless you already have lenses (which you don't), and unless you are
buying the entry level models (which I don't think you are), it's a
non-issue. When I was considering which DSLR to get, I tried models from
both Canon and Nikon in the shop, and preferred the handling of the Nikon,
and as it's a tool you will use a lot, I think that handling is quite
important.

Cheers,
David

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OT - London camera shops (UK) Quincy Fuscienne Digital Photography 4 11-10-2004 08:50 AM
Photo shops in central London Kurt Sorensen Digital Photography 2 09-28-2004 06:16 AM
Looking for good&cheap camera shops in Chicago area NR Digital Photography 4 01-22-2004 07:07 AM
Good camera shops in Central London Myles Digital Photography 3 09-09-2003 04:01 PM
Know any good Binoculars shops in/near LONDON, UK? (for quality binoculars) Shiperton Henethe Digital Photography 37 08-18-2003 12:50 PM



Advertisments