Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > UK: good London camera shops

UK: good London camera shops

Wolfgang Weisselberg

nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <jmmgd5$r56$(E-Mail Removed)>, Ian
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> I didn't know that Nikon's FF cameras can use the APS-C lenses. Nice idea
>> and something that Canon ought to try.

> canon *can't* do that because ef-s lenses will not mount on a full
> frame canon camera. canon designed ef-s lenses to have a shorter
> backfocus and it's possible the mirror will smash into the rear of the
> lens. not good.

You're a fan of long backfocus in general? What does it gain?

> nikon didn't make that mistake,

Canon made the ... mistake of choosing a flange distance so
that Nikon lenses could be mounted. Nikon didn't make that
mistake, so Canon lenses cannot be mounted on Nikon cameras.

> and nikon dx lenses will mount on a
> nikon full frame dslr. the camera will automatically go into crop mode,
> but that can be overridden if desired since some dx lenses do cover the
> full frame.

Well, Nikon made the mistake of not making FF cameras for a
long while, even ruling them out, so they had to offer that
as a bone.

-Wolfgang

Joe Kotroczo

On 20/04/2012 11:47, Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
> David J Taylor<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I note that Nikon full frame cameras can take DX (APS-C) lenses, and can
>> then produce even higher frame rates using just the central portion of the
>> sensor. Having said that, I suspect that with today's resolutions taking
>> HD video might well be good enough for those occasions where the exact
>> moment must be captured, or "just" pressing the button at the right
>> moment....

> That'd be 4K cine cameras. 8 MPix ...

The limitation of affordable HD video cameras is not so much the sensor
but the compression of the video... Most broadcasters want footage be
at least 50 Mbps.

(Actually the recommendation is: at least 4:2:2 sampling, 50 Mbps for
long GOP codecs, 100 Mbps for intra codecs, 8 bit is ok, but 10bit for
some types of pictures. The BBC have additionally the stipulation that
sensors (chips) must be no smaller than 1/2").

--
Illegitimi non carborundum

Wolfgang Weisselberg

nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Wolfgang
> Weisselberg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> OK, then Canon doesn't have a problem. EF fits on all and EF-S
>> fits on the crop cameras.

> all full frame nikon autofocus lenses fit on all nikon crop cameras,
> just as all full frame canon autofocus lenses (ef) fit on all canon
> crop cameras.

All Nikon lenses fit on Canon EOS cameras (with a converter).

> the difference is that nikon manual focus lenses *also* fit nikon
> cameras, but canon manual focus lenses do not.

Wrong. The TS-E lenses fit on EOS cameras, but are manual
focus only. The MP-E also fits on EOS cameras, but doesn't have
autofocus either.

The difference is that all Nikon lenses (and most other lenses
too) --- including the manual focus lenses --- *also* fit on
Canon EOS cameras.

> low end nikon bodies may not be able to focus some of those lenses, but
> that's the only limitation.

So you can fully meter with these lenses? I think not.

> low end bodies are not targeted at people
> who have lots of lenses, particularly older ones, so this limitation is
> very minor and moot.

If *you* say so ...

>> And no stupid "hey, I'm a 15 MPix
>> camera, but I will only give you 5 MPix or black borders".
>> If a lens fits, it works 100 percent.

> all lenses work 100%, but a dx lens is obviously is not going to cover
> the full frame, however, some do and nikon lets you choose.

So they don't work 100%.

>> And thus your "You know that Canon changed their mount" was a
>> smoke grenade ... which turns out to be in Canon's favour.

> actually no it wasn't.

Ah, so it *was* ignorance, after all.

-Wolfgang