Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > UK: good London camera shops

UK: good London camera shops

David J Taylor

> Hello David.
>
> I didn't know that Nikon's FF cameras can use the APS-C lenses. Nice
> idea and something that Canon ought to try.
> Thanks for the info.
>
> Best wishes from the wet UK, Ian.

As "nospam" says, they made that impossible. Could result in shorter
APS-C lenses, though? Almost sunny here in Edinburgh....

Cheers,
David

David Dyer-Bennet

"Ian" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> "David J Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:jmljil$m3i$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Wolfgang Weisselberg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message I note
>> that Nikon full frame cameras can take DX (APS-C) lenses, and can then
>> produce even higher frame rates using just the central portion of the
>> sensor. Having said that, I suspect that with today's resolutions taking
>> HD video might well be good enough for those occasions where the exact
>> moment must be captured, or "just" pressing the button at the right
>> moment....
>>
>> David

> Hello David.
>
> I didn't know that Nikon's FF cameras can use the APS-C lenses. Nice idea
> and something that Canon ought to try.
> Thanks for the info.

In two modes, even. (This is based on my D700, but I believe the same
choices are available in all the current Nikon FX cameras).

In one mode, mountind a DX lens automatically tells the camera to read
just the DX region of the sensor. This gives you the angle of view you
expect from that lens, but only 5.1 megapixels (on my D700; would be
higher on a D800 ). As a menu choice, the edges of the viewfinder
can be masked, making clear what the boundaries of what you're
photographing (but letting you actually see things about to enter the
frame, just through a neutral-density filter).

In the other mode, you select manually what part of the sensor to read.
You can read the DX area even with FX lenses -- or you can read the FX
area with DX lenses. With many lenses this gets you super-severe
vignetting or even the visible edge of the image circle, of course.

Interestingly (and amusingly), with my Tokina 12-24/4 DX lens, the image
covered the full FX frame out to about 18mm -- meaning that I could have
used it as an FX lens with about the same effective angle of view that
it had on a DX sensor. This is *not* any kind of optical law I can
figure out, it's just how that lens happened to behave (and I didn't
measure carefully how much vignetting there was or what the resolution
was in the corners of the FX frame at 18mm, I just looked through the
viewfinder).
--
David Dyer-Bennet, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed); http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Wolfgang
Weisselberg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> OK, then Canon doesn't have a problem. EF fits on all and EF-S
> fits on the crop cameras.

all full frame nikon autofocus lenses fit on all nikon crop cameras,
just as all full frame canon autofocus lenses (ef) fit on all canon
crop cameras.

the difference is that nikon manual focus lenses *also* fit nikon
cameras, but canon manual focus lenses do not.

low end nikon bodies may not be able to focus some of those lenses, but
that's the only limitation. low end bodies are not targeted at people
who have lots of lenses, particularly older ones, so this limitation is
very minor and moot.

> And no stupid "hey, I'm a 15 MPix
> camera, but I will only give you 5 MPix or black borders".
> If a lens fits, it works 100 percent.

all lenses work 100%, but a dx lens is obviously is not going to cover
the full frame, however, some do and nikon lets you choose.

> And thus your "You know that Canon changed their mount" was a
> smoke grenade ... which turns out to be in Canon's favour.

actually no it wasn't.

David Dyer-Bennet

nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Wolfgang
> Weisselberg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> OK, then Canon doesn't have a problem. EF fits on all and EF-S
>> fits on the crop cameras.

> all full frame nikon autofocus lenses fit on all nikon crop cameras,
> just as all full frame canon autofocus lenses (ef) fit on all canon
> crop cameras.
>
> the difference is that nikon manual focus lenses *also* fit nikon
> cameras, but canon manual focus lenses do not.
>
> low end nikon bodies may not be able to focus some of those lenses, but
> that's the only limitation. low end bodies are not targeted at people
> who have lots of lenses, particularly older ones, so this limitation is
> very minor and moot.

Some low-end bodies also can't meter through an AIS lens. I didn't find
that much of an inconvenience -- but then I've used meterless cameras
before, *without* the ability to instantly check histogram on the LCD.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, (E-Mail Removed); http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, David Dyer-Bennet
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > low end nikon bodies may not be able to focus some of those lenses, but
> > that's the only limitation. low end bodies are not targeted at people
> > who have lots of lenses, particularly older ones, so this limitation is
> > very minor and moot.

> Some low-end bodies also can't meter through an AIS lens.

true, but that's even less of an issue.

> I didn't find
> that much of an inconvenience -- but then I've used meterless cameras
> before, *without* the ability to instantly check histogram on the LCD.

it still can meter, it's just an iterative process

David Dyer-Bennet

nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, David Dyer-Bennet
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> > low end nikon bodies may not be able to focus some of those lenses, but
>> > that's the only limitation. low end bodies are not targeted at people
>> > who have lots of lenses, particularly older ones, so this limitation is
>> > very minor and moot.

>> Some low-end bodies also can't meter through an AIS lens.

> true, but that's even less of an issue.

Is for me; some people seem much more bothered than I am. Many people
today don't have my experience of *starting* with a meterless camera
with manual exposure, and only acquiring a light meter some years
later.

>> I didn't find
>> that much of an inconvenience -- but then I've used meterless cameras
>> before, *without* the ability to instantly check histogram on the LCD.

> it still can meter, it's just an iterative process

Yes, that's not TOO unfair a description
--

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> Some low-end bodies also can't meter through an AIS lens.

> > true, but that's even less of an issue.

> Is for me; some people seem much more bothered than I am. Many people
> today don't have my experience of *starting* with a meterless camera
> with manual exposure, and only acquiring a light meter some years
> later.

you aren't the type of person who buys low end bodies.

people who buy low end bodies aren't likely to use more than 1 or 2
lenses, which they will buy with the body. they aren't likely to have
decades old manual focus lenses, so the fact that the low end bodies
don't meter is not a big deal.

people who do have old lenses will buy a midrange or high end body and
that capability is there.

David Dyer-Bennet

nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>> > true, but that's even less of an issue.

>> Is for me; some people seem much more bothered than I am. Many people
>> today don't have my experience of *starting* with a meterless camera
>> with manual exposure, and only acquiring a light meter some years
>> later.

> you aren't the type of person who buys low end bodies.

I started out using a hand-me-down from my mother -- a Bolsey 35
fixed-lens rangefinder camera. But the stuff I've bought myself, yeah;
I've been fairly well-funded and pretty serious about photography.

> people who buy low end bodies aren't likely to use more than 1 or 2
> lenses, which they will buy with the body. they aren't likely to have
> decades old manual focus lenses, so the fact that the low end bodies
> don't meter is not a big deal.
>
> people who do have old lenses will buy a midrange or high end body and
> that capability is there.

The exception I see is adolescents and college students, trying to put
together combinations of new, borrowed, passed down, and used equipment
to make things work. And the serious ones will just read up on it a
bit, and the non-serious ones will do what you describe, I suppose.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, (E-Mail Removed); http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info

Whisky-dave

On Apr 18, 8:45*pm, David Dyer-Bennet <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> >> Is for me; some people seem much more bothered than I am. *Many people
> >> today don't have my experience of *starting* with a meterless camera
> >> with manual exposure, and only acquiring a light meter some years
> >> later.

> > you aren't the type of person who buys low end bodies.

> I started out using a hand-me-down from my mother -- a Bolsey 35
> fixed-lens rangefinder camera. *But the stuff I've bought myself, yeah;
> I've been fairly well-funded and pretty serious about photography.
>
> > people who buy low end bodies aren't likely to use more than 1 or 2
> > lenses, which they will buy with the body. they aren't likely to have
> > decades old manual focus lenses, so the fact that the low end bodies
> > don't meter is not a big deal.

> > people who do have old lenses will buy a midrange or high end body and
> > that capability is there.

> The exception I see is adolescents and college students, trying to put
> together combinations of new, borrowed, passed down, and used equipment
> to make things work.

Which means as students they might actually learn something about
equipment at least,
now there's a surprise .

> *And the serious ones will just read up on it a
> bit, and the non-serious ones will do what you describe, I suppose.

So everyone gains but the cluesess, I've no problem with that.

> --
> David Dyer-Bennet, (E-Mail Removed);http://dd-b.net/
> Snapshots:http://dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/data/
> Photos:http://dd-b.net/photography/gallery/
> Dragaera:http://dragaera.info

Wolfgang Weisselberg

David J Taylor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I note that Nikon full frame cameras can take DX (APS-C) lenses, and can
> then produce even higher frame rates using just the central portion of the
> sensor. Having said that, I suspect that with today's resolutions taking
> HD video might well be good enough for those occasions where the exact
> moment must be captured, or "just" pressing the button at the right
> moment....

That'd be 4K cine cameras. 8 MPix ...

-Wolfgang