Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Oh how I love windows 7...

Oh how I love windows 7...

Sonnich Jensen

Questions:

1) how do you make the calendar stick, so you can see it while working
with another window?

2) the search function - is there something like the old one?
Why do wild cards such as *.~* not work at all?
How do I find e.g. *.~dfm files?

3) when I move with the keys on the tree in explorer, I want to see
what is in the folder - how do I do that (without pressing enter)?

miso

On 3/27/2012 11:00 AM, Sonnich Jensen wrote:
> Questions:
>
> 1) how do you make the calendar stick, so you can see it while working
> with another window?
>
> 2) the search function - is there something like the old one?
> Why do wild cards such as *.~* not work at all?
> How do I find e.g. *.~dfm files?
>
> 3) when I move with the keys on the tree in explorer, I want to see
> what is in the folder - how do I do that (without pressing enter)?

Regarding item 2, try
> http://www.voidtools.com/

It baffles the mind why MS made the search so crappy from previous
generations.

Geri

On 4/2/2012 1:49 AM, miso wrote:
> On 3/27/2012 11:00 AM, Sonnich Jensen wrote:
>> Questions:
>>
>> 1) how do you make the calendar stick, so you can see it while working
>> with another window?
>>
>> 2) the search function - is there something like the old one?
>> Why do wild cards such as *.~* not work at all?
>> How do I find e.g. *.~dfm files?
>>
>> 3) when I move with the keys on the tree in explorer, I want to see
>> what is in the folder - how do I do that (without pressing enter)?

> Regarding item 2, try
>> http://www.voidtools.com/

> It baffles the mind why MS made the search so crappy from previous
> generations.

I dislike Win7 so much I'm thinking about going back to XP. My
brother-in-law moved to Apple. It blows my mind why so many reviewers
gave such positive reviews on this piece of trash.

miso

> I dislike Win7 so much I'm thinking about going back to XP. My
> brother-in-law moved to Apple. It blows my mind why so many reviewers
> gave such positive reviews on this piece of trash.

XP support in the future is of course limited.

Overall win7 is great. Very stable. But it has many features that are
not features in my book. Much can be turned off. Aero is just a pain in
the ass. It is not like KDE where it goes aero only when a window is
moved. But you can disable aero.

Libraries is just terrible. No thanks, I can manage my files without MS
helping me. I don't need another level of abstraction regarding the
location of my data.

The security features can be very annoying. Many programs need files to
be edited, but if the file is under Programs, windows blocks notepad
unless you started it with "run as administrator". So many old programs
won't run unless they have the run as administrator privilege, which
defeats the security.

I'm not looking forward to Windows 8. I hope to run win7 for a long time.