Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Email storage in Thunderbird

Email storage in Thunderbird

Mike

What is the default location for the data files of Thunderbird and are they
compressed?

TIA

Mike

Moz Champion

Mike wrote:

> What is the default location for the data files of Thunderbird and are they
> compressed?
>
> TIA
>
> Mike

On Windows 2000/XP, the path is usually
%AppData%\Thunderbird\Profiles\default\xxxxxxxx.sl t\, where xxxxxxxx is
a random string of 8 characters. Just browse to C:\Documents and
Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\ and the rest
should be obvious.

On Windows 95/98/Me, the path is usually C:\WINDOWS\Application
Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\default\xxxxxxxx.slt\.

On Linux, the path is usually ~/.thunderbird/default/xxxxxxxx.slt.

On MacOS X, the path is usually
~/Library/Thunderbird/Profiles/default/xxxxxxxx.slt.

Mail is kept within the Mail folder of course
each file has its own name, its own index (name.msf), and (if there are
sub folders) its own filedirectory (name.sbd)

the files you are interested in are the name ones only

No, files are not normally compressed

--
Mozilla Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

Mike

Thanks for that. You are spot on. Sadly they are compressed. Why in these
days of multigigabyte drives? But at least I can back them up.
Change accounts with Microsoft's thing and lose the lot.

Mike

Mike

Mea culpa. I should have read your signal all the way through.
In fact mine seem to be compressed. Is there a switch there?

Mike
> the files you are interested in are the name ones only
>
> No, files are not normally compressed

Leonidas Jones

Mike wrote:
> Mea culpa. I should have read your signal all the way through.
> In fact mine seem to be compressed. Is there a switch there?
>
> Mike
>
>>the files you are interested in are the name ones only
>>
>>No, files are not normally compressed
>>
>>--

You are talking about the mail files themselves, such as Inbox? They
are plain text files, not compressed in any way. What exactly do you
mean by "compressed"?

Lee

.brian.

(On 9/30/2004 6:23 AM) Mike wrote:
> Thanks for that. You are spot on. Sadly they are compressed. Why in these
> days of multigigabyte drives? But at least I can back them up.
> Change accounts with Microsoft's thing and lose the lot.

They're not compressed. Mail is stored in MSF format.

If you are interested in backing up your information, then you might
want to look at MozBackup. I've never encountered a problem with it
backing up my information.

MozBackup: [http://backup.jasnapaka.com]

--
Brian