Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > how would i write this request in jquery?

how would i write this request in jquery?

Shawn Bright

Hey all, i have a request i am making with prototype that i need to do in jquery.

var url = "/sites/new_info";
new Ajax.Request(url, {
method: 'get',
onSuccess: function(response) {
var sites = response.responseJSON;
}
});

appreciate any help.

Andreas Bergmaier

Shawn Bright schrieb:
> Hey all, i have a request i am making with prototype that i need to do in jquery.

Have you read the docs?

> var url = "/sites/new_info";
> new Ajax.Request(url, {
> method: 'get',
> onSuccess: function(response) {
> var sites = response.responseJSON;
> }
> });

That code does what you have coded. Whats wrong with it?

Bergi

Shawn Bright

On Feb 13, 4:34*pm, Andreas Bergmaier <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Shawn Bright schrieb:
>
> > Hey all, i have a request i am making with prototype that i need to do in jquery.

> Have you read the docs?
>
> > var url = "/sites/new_info";
> > new Ajax.Request(url, {
> > * * *method: 'get',
> > * * *onSuccess: function(response) {
> > * * *var sites = response.responseJSON;
> > * * *}
> > });

> That code does what you have coded. Whats wrong with it?
>
> * Bergi

oh, it works fine, but i need to do the same thing in jQuery.

Gene Wirchenko

On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 19:43:33 -0800 (PST), Shawn Bright
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[smip]

>oh, it works fine, but i need to do the same thing in jQuery.

Why? What does it gain you?

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Hans-Georg Michna

On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 14:04:26 -0800 (PST), Shawn Bright wrote:

>Hey all, i have a request i am making with prototype that i need to do in jquery.

>var url = "/sites/new_info";
>new Ajax.Request(url, {
> method: 'get',
> onSuccess: function(response) {
> var sites = response.responseJSON;
> }
>});

jQuery is not very popular here, to put it mildly.

It may be a good idea to visit jQuery's own forum and ask there.
I'm pretty sure you will get the answer there.

Hans-Georg

Matt McDonald

On 12-02-13 03:04 PM, Shawn Bright wrote:
> Hey all, i have a request i am making with prototype that i need to do in jquery.
>

> [Prototype.js code]
>
> appreciate any help.

Seeing as you're just jumping from one lost cause to another,
I'll throw you a rope. What you're interested in using is
actually the XMLHttpRequest API[0] which is often aliased
as "AJAX" by marketers and fools.

Secondly, you'd be well-advised to steer clear of Prototype.js.
Richard Cornford has a well-known quote here regarding it. I
believe Thomas Lahn still has it randomly pop up in his "signature"
from time to time. I'll give you a hint: it's pretty scathing.

I'd suggest digging through the XMLHttpRequest API
documentation to understand how it truly works. That said,
David Mark has a module in his My Library API[1] that
covers "AJAX"[2]. I'd recommend at least giving it a
test drive. It will mask warts in IE relating to ActiveX
and other follies. For a clear beginner, that's a good idea.

[0] http://www.w3.org/TR/XMLHttpRequest/
[1] http://www.cinsoft.net/mylib-builder.asp
[2] http://www.cinsoft.net/mylib-doc.asp#requester

--
Matt McDonald: Web/Flash Developer; Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Matt McDonald wrote:

> On 12-02-13 03:04 PM, Shawn Bright wrote:
>> Hey all, i have a request i am making with prototype that i need to do in
>> jquery.
>>
>> [Prototype.js code]
>>
>> appreciate any help.

> Seeing as you're just jumping from one lost cause to another,
> I'll throw you a rope. What you're interested in using is
> actually the XMLHttpRequest API[0] which is often aliased
> as "AJAX" by marketers and fools.
>
> Secondly, you'd be well-advised to steer clear of Prototype.js.
> Richard Cornford has a well-known quote here regarding it. I
> believe Thomas Lahn still has it randomly pop up in his "signature"
> from time to time. I'll give you a hint: it's pretty scathing.

As my sig is chosen randomly, and I do not want to look that one up right
now, it is not the one you are looking for here. But the one here is put
equally aptly.

> I'd suggest digging through the XMLHttpRequest API
> documentation to understand how it truly works.

Looking into the newer XMLHttpRequest2 API would be useful as well, as there
are implementations of it in browsers. I have not had the time to consider
it for JSX as yet, but it looks promising.

> That said, David Mark has a module in his My Library API[1] that
> covers "AJAX"[2]. I'd recommend at least giving it a
> test drive. It will mask warts in IE relating to ActiveX
> and other follies. For a clear beginner, that's a good idea.

The last time we discussed this here, David's code was slightly flawed in
that it always used XMLHttpRequest() even if the request URI used the
`file:' scheme (where XMLHttpRequest() is known not to work in MSHTML). My
code tries to use ActiveXObject() first which has no such limitations.

> [0] http://www.w3.org/TR/XMLHttpRequest/
> [1] http://www.cinsoft.net/mylib-builder.asp
> [2] http://www.cinsoft.net/mylib-doc.asp#requester

JFTR: Using JSX:http.js [1], which is (also?) built on (more) sound
principles of software design, and rather well field-tested, that would be

var Request = jsx.net.http.Request;

var req = new Request("/sites/new_info", "GET", true,
function (response) {
var sites = response.responseJSON;
});

req.send();

or

var req = new Request("/sites/new_info");

req.setSuccessListener(function (response) {
var sites = response.responseJSON;
});

req.send();

… assuming that `responseJSON' was a built-in host property.

Aliasing `Request' is optional then, of course, but it can improve
efficiency if done in the right place. jsx._import() would be another
alternative.

PointedEars
_____
[1] <http://PointedEars.de/scripts/http.js>
<http://PointedEars.de/websvn/filedetails.php?repname=JSX&path=/trunk/http.js>
--
Sometimes, what you learn is wrong. If those wrong ideas are close to the
root of the knowledge tree you build on a particular subject, pruning the