Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > Why just this group?

Why just this group?

Tony Mountifield

I subscribe to a number of Web/DB kind of newsgroups (mysql, php, perl,
javascript, etc.), and out of all of them, it's only comp.lang.javascript
that appears to have this perennial problem with spam. Just wondering
why this group gets picked on, while the others are generally clean.

Cheers
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield
Work: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) - http://www.softins.co.uk

Evertjan.

Tony Mountifield wrote on 12 dec 2011 in comp.lang.javascript:

> I subscribe to a number of Web/DB kind of newsgroups (mysql, php, perl,
> javascript, etc.), and out of all of them, it's only comp.lang.javascript
> that appears to have this perennial problem with spam. Just wondering
> why this group gets picked on, while the others are generally clean.

This is usenet, I don't know what NGs you mean by 'Web/DB kind'.
You cannot subscribe to a usenet group, only order your reader to read it.

I never see spam on this NG, but then I block google group mail here and
heve some aditional filtering done.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Tim Streater

In article <jc5rht$6nu$(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) (Tony Mountifield) wrote:

> I subscribe to a number of Web/DB kind of newsgroups (mysql, php, perl,
> javascript, etc.), and out of all of them, it's only comp.lang.javascript
> that appears to have this perennial problem with spam.

What spam?

--
Tim

Hans-Georg Michna

On Tue, 13 Dec 2011 08:57:41 +1100, Andrew Poulos wrote:

>My conspiracy theory is that its one of the more popular js library
>fanbois work

That would be a huge compliment. It would indicate that we are
in the right place.

By the way, this is not really much spam. Even if you don't
filter, it takes only seconds to delete by hand.

Hans-Georg

Tim Streater

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
Andrew Poulos <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 13/12/2011 8:48 AM, Tim Streater wrote:
> > In article <jc5rht$6nu$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > (E-Mail Removed) (Tony Mountifield) wrote:
> >
> >> I subscribe to a number of Web/DB kind of newsgroups (mysql, php, perl,
> >> javascript, etc.), and out of all of them, it's only comp.lang.javascript
> >> that appears to have this perennial problem with spam.

> > What spam?

> This group gets tonnes of spam posting per day, every day. Just because
> you're filtering it doesn't mean its not happening.

I'm filtering next to nothing. Hmm, OK, disabled my filters altogether.
Let's see if I get anything at all spamwise.

--
Tim

Lewis Perin

(E-Mail Removed) (Tony Mountifield) writes:

>I subscribe to a number of Web/DB kind of newsgroups (mysql, php, perl,
>javascript, etc.), and out of all of them, it's only comp.lang.javascript
>that appears to have this perennial problem with spam. Just wondering
>why this group gets picked on, while the others are generally clean.

Maybe it’s because in the USA “script” is short for “prescription”. The
spammers here are mostly hawking drugs, after all...

/Lew
---
Lew Perin / (E-Mail Removed)
http://babelcarp.org

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Tony Mountifield wrote:

> I subscribe to a number of Web/DB kind of newsgroups (mysql, php, perl,
> javascript, etc.), and out of all of them, it's only comp.lang.javascript
> that appears to have this perennial problem with spam. Just wondering
> why this group gets picked on, while the others are generally clean.

This is a FAQ (more like a FFQ). There are several reasons for the spam,
*none* of which is on-topic here (so you should *not* have asked *here*).

One has been named. Another is that even without the spam this is or at
least has been a high-traffic group. Third, JavaScript, and ECMAScript
implementations in general, have become a "household topic" among software
developers. Spammers post where they suspect the most attention.

F'up2 poster

PointedEars
will want to steal it.)

RobG

On Dec 13, 7:42*am, "Evertjan." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
[...]
> You cannot subscribe to a usenet group, only order your reader to read it..

Perhaps your news reader doesn't call that subscribing, but some (e.g.
Thunderbird) do.

--
Rob

Tony Mountifield

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Hans-Georg Michna <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Dec 2011 08:57:41 +1100, Andrew Poulos wrote:
>
> >My conspiracy theory is that its one of the more popular js library
> >fanbois work

> That would be a huge compliment. It would indicate that we are
> in the right place.
>
> By the way, this is not really much spam. Even if you don't
> filter, it takes only seconds to delete by hand.

Indeed, that's what I do, but I was just curious why this was the only
group in which I needed to do so.

Cheers
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield
Work: (E-Mail Removed) - http://www.softins.co.uk

Lewis Perin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) (Tony Mountifield) writes:
>
> >I subscribe to a number of Web/DB kind of newsgroups (mysql, php, perl,
> >javascript, etc.), and out of all of them, it's only comp.lang.javascript
> >that appears to have this perennial problem with spam. Just wondering
> >why this group gets picked on, while the others are generally clean.

> Maybe it's because in the USA 'script' is short for 'prescription'. The
> spammers here are mostly hawking drugs, after all...

That sounds a plausible reason, although I wish someone would give them
a better regular expression!

Cheers
Tony