Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > Javascript Memory Limitations

Reply
Thread Tools

Javascript Memory Limitations

 
 
MC
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-14-2010
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any data on the limitations of the current
browsers, specifically IE8, IE9 FF 3.5+, and Chrome. I am building a large
javascript browser application handling a lot of data and multiple pages and
just wondering if I'm going to have problems.

Thanks,
Mica


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
David Mark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-14-2010
On Aug 14, 4:13*pm, "MC" <mica[removethis]@aisus.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if anyone had any data on the limitations of the current
> browsers, specifically IE8, IE9 FF 3.5+, and Chrome.


What sort of (memory) limitations?

> I am building a large
> javascript browser application handling a lot of data and multiple pages and
> just wondering if I'm going to have problems.
>


The Magic 8-ball says: signs point to yes.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Evertjan.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-15-2010
MC wrote on 14 aug 2010 in comp.lang.javascript:

> I was wondering if anyone had any data on the limitations of the
> current browsers, specifically IE8, IE9 FF 3.5+, and Chrome. I am
> building a large javascript browser application handling a lot of data
> and multiple pages and just wondering if I'm going to have problems.


All memory will be confined to a per page maximum, if my memory serves me
correctly.

You will get problems with such large undertakings especially cross-browser
ones.

Why not keep the lunb of the data on the server and use serveride
databases?

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.
(Please change the x'es to dots in my emailaddress)
 
Reply With Quote
 
MC
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-17-2010

"Evertjan." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns9DD5B8BC28CC0eejj99@194.109.133.242...
> MC wrote on 14 aug 2010 in comp.lang.javascript:
>
>> I was wondering if anyone had any data on the limitations of the
>> current browsers, specifically IE8, IE9 FF 3.5+, and Chrome. I am
>> building a large javascript browser application handling a lot of data
>> and multiple pages and just wondering if I'm going to have problems.

>
> All memory will be confined to a per page maximum, if my memory serves me
> correctly.
>
> You will get problems with such large undertakings especially
> cross-browser
> ones.
>
> Why not keep the lunb of the data on the server and use serveride
> databases?
>
> --
> Evertjan.
> The Netherlands.
> (Please change the x'es to dots in my emailaddress)


So no one has any hard data on any of the browsers.
I really don't want to discuss the why and go into that rabbit hole. Suffice
it to say that letting the browser handle the data can significantly
increase the speed at which users are able to use our software.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Michael Haufe (\TNO\)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-17-2010
On Aug 14, 3:13 pm, "MC" <mica[removethis]@aisus.com> wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone had any data on the limitations of the current
> browsers, specifically IE8, IE9 FF 3.5+, and Chrome. I am building a large
> javascript browser application handling a lot of data and multiple pages and
> just wondering if I'm going to have problems.


On Aug 17, 8:54*am, "MC" <mica[removethis]@aisus.com> wrote:

> So no one has any hard data on any of the browsers.
> I really don't want to discuss the why and go into that rabbit hole. Suffice
> it to say that letting the browser handle the data can significantly
> increase the speed at which users are able to use our software.


Your question is too vague to give you an appropriate answer. As it
stands the answer is "yes and no" depending on what you're trying to
accomplish and how you go about it. What is "a lot of data"? 1 MB? 1
GB? Textual data? Binary? How much communication between the server
client is there? etc....
 
Reply With Quote
 
MC
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-17-2010

"Michael Haufe ("TNO")" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Aug 14, 3:13 pm, "MC" <mica[removethis]@aisus.com> wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone had any data on the limitations of the current
> browsers, specifically IE8, IE9 FF 3.5+, and Chrome. I am building a large
> javascript browser application handling a lot of data and multiple pages
> and
> just wondering if I'm going to have problems.


On Aug 17, 8:54 am, "MC" <mica[removethis]@aisus.com> wrote:

> So no one has any hard data on any of the browsers.
> I really don't want to discuss the why and go into that rabbit hole.
> Suffice
> it to say that letting the browser handle the data can significantly
> increase the speed at which users are able to use our software.


>Your question is too vague to give you an appropriate answer. As it
>stands the answer is "yes and no" depending on what you're trying to
>accomplish and how you go about it. What is "a lot of data"? 1 MB? 1
>GB? Textual data? Binary? How much communication between the server
>client is there? etc....


I am looking for information such as:
Is there a set max memory for a browser or the parser?
Is there a way to test to see if how much utilization is done?
Does memory depend on the browser computer as opposed to some set limit?

We are looking at a browser holding about .15mb data text,
and a single page size of around 20,000 lines of html and javascript.
There are about 20 forms in the page and an ajax update of the server is
done
every time the user leaves one form and goes to the next.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Evertjan.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-17-2010
MC wrote on 17 aug 2010 in comp.lang.javascript:

>
> "Evertjan." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

[..]
>> Why not keep the lumb of the data on the server and use serveride
>> databases?


[please do not quote signatures on usenet]

> So no one has any hard data on any of the browsers.


What do you mean by "hard data"? Data is data, meseems.

Do you mean persistent data between pages or sessions?

Present day browsers only have cookies for such use, as identifiers of old
and present sessions and some other data, or perhaps querystring data.

> I really don't want to discuss the why and go into that rabbit hole.


This is usenet. You cannot limit the response to your postings.
What do you have against rabbits exor their holes, btw?

> Suffice it to say that letting the browser handle the data can
> significantly increase the speed at which users are able to use our
> software.


No that does not suffice, as there are far more important issues, like
security, cross browser reliability.

Subjective user speed can be an buying incentive, but that will be cheating
your customer if you degrade security and reliability for that.

Do you really think your web-pages will work correcly on most of the
browsers on an Andriod, Symbian, or Windows Mobile platform, or a text-only
browser like Lynx?

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.
(Please change the x'es to dots in my emailaddress)
 
Reply With Quote
 
Michael Haufe (\TNO\)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-17-2010
On Aug 17, 1:02*pm, "MC" <mica[removethis]@aisus.com> wrote:

> I am looking for information such as:
> Is there a set max memory for a browser or the parser?


There is no practical limit per se for the browsers you've mentioned,
though depending on how your code is written, and the age of the
client machine, things could well indeed become unusable.

> Is there a way to test to see if how much utilization is done?
> Does memory depend on the browser computer as opposed to some set limit?


I would say don't worry about this level of detail at this stage. In
Firefox at least you can type about:memory in the address bar to get a
generic overview of memory use.


> We are looking at a browser holding about .15mb data text,


I assume you meant 15 MB and not 150kb.

> and a single page size of around 20,000 lines of html and javascript.
> There are about 20 forms in the page and an ajax update of the server is
> done
> every time the user leaves one form and goes to the next.


Why would you need 15MB of data on every page to fill out a small
number of forms? Since you'll already have a back and forth channel to
the server, could you not load the relevant data on demand?

This data can be stored on the client outside of RAM if necessary, but
I'm curious to what the necessity is to have it all available at once
anyway instead of loading bit s of it at a time as the relevant forms
are needed.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Michael Haufe (\TNO\)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-17-2010
On Aug 17, 4:01*pm, "Evertjan." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Do you really think your web-pages will work correcly on most of the
> browsers on an Andriod, Symbian, or Windows Mobile platform, or a text-only
> browser like Lynx?



Probably not as the OP did not mention any concern about the browsers
not mentioned in his/her list.
 
Reply With Quote
 
MC
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-18-2010

"Michael Haufe ("TNO")" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Aug 17, 4:01 pm, "Evertjan." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Do you really think your web-pages will work correcly on most of the
> browsers on an Andriod, Symbian, or Windows Mobile platform, or a
> text-only
> browser like Lynx?



Probably not as the OP did not mention any concern about the browsers
not mentioned in his/her list.

---------
Correct. This is a business application and we already know what our user
base is using and we can set minimum configurations.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Limitations using 8GB Memory Clayton Windows 64bit 3 08-09-2008 07:13 PM
Virtual Memory limitations of 32-bit Program in x64 environment Spinnacre Windows 64bit 8 01-14-2007 06:07 AM
HTTPUnit and JavaScript - what are the limitations? AS Java 1 10-28-2006 09:13 PM
Memory Limitations for Perl Programs? Chris Hamel Perl Misc 6 09-08-2006 01:15 PM
Memory: measuring 5 limitations Bart Van der Donck Perl Misc 6 12-12-2003 04:32 PM



Advertisments