Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > There's a line, and I just crossed it

There's a line, and I just crossed it

Kenneth Tilton

I just added tooltips and went thru my "do list" and realized... I am done!

http://teamalgebra.com/

Done with the desktop-to-RIA port, that is: I am back to where I was on
the desktop application, except for (OK) an abiding need to get jsMath
to give up layout info after converting TeX to HTML -- but that is
manageable for now.

Eight weeks, including the bit about dealing with AWS and incorporating
jsMath and developing the Lisp/qooxdoo glue called qooxlisp.

The bad news is that Team Raw HTML won't have me to kick around any
more, unless something interesting happens on the qooxlisp end of
things; from here on out I will just be working on the functionality of
the Algebra application.

Of course that was the plan: use a good JS library to hide all those
whacky browser issues and avoid learning HTML and CSS (credit as well to
Franz AllegroServe and AllegroGraph) so I could concentrate on the beef.

Peace. Out.

kt

ps. The stack:

http://aws.amazon.com/
http://www.franz.com/products/allegrocl/
http://www.franz.com/products/allegr...eb_tools.lhtml
http://www.franz.com/agraph/allegrograph/
http://qooxdoo.org/
http://github.com/kennytilton/cells
http://github.com/kennytilton/qooxlisp
http://www.math.union.edu/~dpvc/jsMath/

--
http://www.stuckonalgebra.com
"The best Algebra tutorial program I have seen... in a class by itself."

Tim Streater

In article <4c573b67$0$4979$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Kenneth Tilton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I just added tooltips and went thru my "do list" and realized... I am done!
>
> http://teamalgebra.com/
>
> Done with the desktop-to-RIA port, that is: I am back to where I was on
> the desktop application, except for (OK) an abiding need to get jsMath
> to give up layout info after converting TeX to HTML -- but that is
> manageable for now.
>
> Eight weeks, including the bit about dealing with AWS and incorporating
> jsMath and developing the Lisp/qooxdoo glue called qooxlisp.
>
> The bad news is that Team Raw HTML won't have me to kick around any
> more, unless something interesting happens on the qooxlisp end of
> things; from here on out I will just be working on the functionality of
> the Algebra application.
>
> Of course that was the plan: use a good JS library to hide all those
> whacky browser issues and avoid learning HTML and CSS (credit as well to
> Franz AllegroServe and AllegroGraph) so I could concentrate on the beef.

Well, in the Typing Course you have all the keys showing something now.
Only problem is, after I click on the yellow bar to have it turn white,
and then start typing, all the rendered algebra sits too high up in the
input area, so I can only see (if I'm lucky) the bottom few pixels of
the algebra, at the top of the white bar.

--
Tim

Kenneth Tilton

Tim Streater wrote:
> In article <4c573b67$0$4979$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Kenneth Tilton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I just added tooltips and went thru my "do list" and realized... I am
>> done!
>>
>> http://teamalgebra.com/
>>
>> Done with the desktop-to-RIA port, that is: I am back to where I was
>> on the desktop application, except for (OK) an abiding need to get
>> jsMath to give up layout info after converting TeX to HTML -- but that
>> is manageable for now.
>>
>> Eight weeks, including the bit about dealing with AWS and
>> incorporating jsMath and developing the Lisp/qooxdoo glue called
>> qooxlisp.
>>
>> The bad news is that Team Raw HTML won't have me to kick around any
>> more, unless something interesting happens on the qooxlisp end of
>> things; from here on out I will just be working on the functionality
>> of the Algebra application.
>>
>> Of course that was the plan: use a good JS library to hide all those
>> whacky browser issues and avoid learning HTML and CSS (credit as well
>> to Franz AllegroServe and AllegroGraph) so I could concentrate on the
>> beef.

> Well, in the Typing Course you have all the keys showing something now.
> Only problem is, after I click on the yellow bar to have it turn white,
> and then start typing, all the rendered algebra sits too high up in the
> input area, so I can only see (if I'm lucky) the bottom few pixels of
> the algebra, at the top of the white bar.

Yeah, that comes and goes for me. It derives from my not having fully
wrestled jsMath to the ground. Once I am able to dynamically interrogate
jsMath for dimensions of generated HTML I should be able to understand
when/where/why it gets lost.

For the curious, it is related to the visible insertion caret that tells
user where they are typing. Inserting that tex code into a larger tex
expression randomly (well, I have not found the pattern yet) knocks off
the overall positioning.

I guess I know what I am doing this week. Besides this, I mean:

http://thelaughingstockatpngs.com/

kt

--

Bob Felts wrote:
> Kenneth Tilton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I just added tooltips and went thru my "do list" and realized... I am done!

> Aside from the fact that software is never really done, congratulations!

Thx! I meant "I am back to where I was on the desktop version", which
(a) means, yes, I will never be done and (b) means I lied because I
still had to wrestle jsMath to the ground.

Still not there yet on jsMath, but I have not seen the unpredictable
vertical jump in the few hours since I eliminated once probable source
of Heisenberg Uncertainty. A few hours is not much comfort, but anyway:

http://teamalgebra.com/#

Known remaining problem is that some math will get outside its bounds a
little if you click around here enough:

http://teamalgebra.com/#TRAINING

.... but I just have not had the time (and I gotta run) to re-tune the
sizing logic since the breakthrough: jsMath lets you put math in a div
or a span. spans are for referring to math right in the middle of a
normal sentence, divs are for centering math in their own paragraph if
you will. I was using spans, even tho I was essentially giving each bit
of math its own universe, a qooxdoo embed.Html widget. jsMath was doing
its best to cleverly align the math with...nothing else! But it would
assume it was on aline of text and I guess do things odd vertically, or
odder than usual. Now just using a div.

Off to tend to this now: http://thelaughingstockatpngs.com/, a much
welcome change of pace for a homebound geek.

kt

Re: Crossed line Desk Rabbit UK VOIP 1 01-09-2009 09:48 AM
Re: crossed polarising filters to reduce light? Jeff R. Digital Photography 11 05-20-2008 03:51 AM
To create crossed circles in Java henryh Java 1 09-18-2005 10:54 PM
Two DropDownLists getting crossed Jay ASP .Net 2 06-10-2005 09:18 PM
Critique CSS layout (1st go - fingers crossed) lime HTML 47 11-17-2004 03:57 AM

Advertisments