Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > several windows/tabs using same popup

several windows/tabs using same popup

me

Hello again,

It seems that some functionality I used years ago no longer works on some
modern
browsers. Before I ditch the whole idea, I'd like to ask you whether you
think it's
possible to find a cross-browser work-around.

The idea is to gain control over a popup window that was opened by another
page/window/tab/browser instance by calling it by its name:

MyPopup=window.open("","MyPopupName");
MyPopup.opener=self;

It works in every case in IE7, but e.g. in FF3.7 it only works from a new
page
loaded into the same tab. The open() call fails if the popup was opened from
another tab (that is still open) in the same browser instance.

I was thinking of ditching the whole idea of one persistent popup window for
whole site, but I thought I'd ask here first whether there is a way to do
it.

Marc.

me

Please disregard the previous message. I'm ditching the whole idea.
It'll only lead to trouble with every new browser version that is released.
And I'd have to test it with all possible security settings too...
I don't think it's worth the bother.

Marc.