Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Please recommend a good book for me

Please recommend a good book for me

Alan Silver

Hello,

I am a seasoned Classic ASP programmer who is interested in learning
ASP.NET. I
bought a book (Que's Special Edition Using ASP.NET) which is complete
rubbish, and would like a recommendation of something better.

I have a very basic idea of how ASP.NET works having spent a couple of
days playing with it, but it's still a large amount of fog with only a
little clarity. I would like something that explains what's going on
whilst doing examples, not just one that says "click here and type
this" without explanation.

I have Microsoft's ASP.NET Resource Kit CD, which is good as far as it
goes, but is lacking in explanation and (a lot of it) requires Visual
Studio.NET which I don't have. I completed a complex tutorial, but
then got stuck when trying to add a fairly simple feature. I realised
that I didn't really understand what I had done, and so couldn't
extend the tutorial. I also have the .NET SDK, but the sheer volume of
material is overwhelming, and I would like to concentrate on ASP.NET
for the moment. I also prefer books to reading on screen.

I would like a book that concentrates on C#, although I don't mind a
dual-language one with VB.NET as well.

Please feel free to make any recommendations.

Karl Seguin

Since you don't have VS.Net you might try the free Web Matrix which is
really really good.
http://www.asp.net/webmatrix/default...dex=4&tabId=46

Following that theme you might want a ASP.Net Web Matrix book, I can't
recommend any, but there are plenty out there
http://www.wrox.com/WileyCDA/WroxTit...764543741.html for
example.

I learnt on ASP.Net Unleashed years ago....it's an average book....

Karl

--
MY ASP.Net tutorials
http://www.openmymind.net/

"Alan Silver" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hello,
>
> I am a seasoned Classic ASP programmer who is interested in learning
> ASP.NET. I
> bought a book (Que's Special Edition Using ASP.NET) which is complete
> rubbish, and would like a recommendation of something better.
>
> I have a very basic idea of how ASP.NET works having spent a couple of
> days playing with it, but it's still a large amount of fog with only a
> little clarity. I would like something that explains what's going on
> whilst doing examples, not just one that says "click here and type
> this" without explanation.
>
> I have Microsoft's ASP.NET Resource Kit CD, which is good as far as it
> goes, but is lacking in explanation and (a lot of it) requires Visual
> Studio.NET which I don't have. I completed a complex tutorial, but
> then got stuck when trying to add a fairly simple feature. I realised
> that I didn't really understand what I had done, and so couldn't
> extend the tutorial. I also have the .NET SDK, but the sheer volume of
> material is overwhelming, and I would like to concentrate on ASP.NET
> for the moment. I also prefer books to reading on screen.
>
> I would like a book that concentrates on C#, although I don't mind a
> dual-language one with VB.NET as well.
>
> Please feel free to make any recommendations.

WJ

"Alan Silver" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hello,

Nothing beats on-hand trainning regardless of how many good books you read.
If you are serious or your company is, I would recommend you to attend a
certified training course on this subject! Although I have seen some peoples
doing very well without going to formal classes.

John

=?Utf-8?B?SE1L?=

I bought Professional ASP.NET 1.1 published by Wrox a couple of months ago
and which I have found very useful.

HMK

"Alan Silver" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am a seasoned Classic ASP programmer who is interested in learning
> ASP.NET. I
> bought a book (Que's Special Edition Using ASP.NET) which is complete
> rubbish, and would like a recommendation of something better.
>
> I have a very basic idea of how ASP.NET works having spent a couple of
> days playing with it, but it's still a large amount of fog with only a
> little clarity. I would like something that explains what's going on
> whilst doing examples, not just one that says "click here and type
> this" without explanation.
>
> I have Microsoft's ASP.NET Resource Kit CD, which is good as far as it
> goes, but is lacking in explanation and (a lot of it) requires Visual
> Studio.NET which I don't have. I completed a complex tutorial, but
> then got stuck when trying to add a fairly simple feature. I realised
> that I didn't really understand what I had done, and so couldn't
> extend the tutorial. I also have the .NET SDK, but the sheer volume of
> material is overwhelming, and I would like to concentrate on ASP.NET
> for the moment. I also prefer books to reading on screen.
>
> I would like a book that concentrates on C#, although I don't mind a
> dual-language one with VB.NET as well.
>
> Please feel free to make any recommendations.

Alan Silver

>I bought Professional ASP.NET 1.1 published by Wrox a couple of months
>ago and which I have found very useful.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

--
Alan Silver

Alan Silver

>Since you don't have VS.Net you might try the free Web Matrix which is
>really really good.
>http://www.asp.net/webmatrix/default...dex=4&tabId=46

Got it already thanks. I have been through the tutorials, but they are
fairly basic (as are most of the tutorials I've seen). I was looking for
something to help me take the step to real world programming instead of
simple basic examples.

>Following that theme you might want a ASP.Net Web Matrix book, I can't
>recommend any, but there are plenty out there
>http://www.wrox.com/WileyCDA/WroxTit...764543741.html for
>example.
>
>I learnt on ASP.Net Unleashed years ago....it's an average book....

Thanks, I already bought a lousy book, average is beating my first
attempt!!

--
Alan Silver

Alan Silver

>> Hello,
>>

>Nothing beats on-hand trainning regardless of how many good books you read.
>If you are serious or your company is, I would recommend you to attend a
>certified training course on this subject! Although I have seen some peoples
>doing very well without going to formal classes.

Ah, therin lies the rub (as I believe Will once said). I am a
self-employed developer, I don't work for a company. I can't afford the
time or money for training courses. That's why I'm looking for books.

I actually find that well-written books can often be better than
training courses as you can go at your own pace. The one thing you miss
is the peer-to-peer experience, but that's where Usenet comes in!!

Thanks for the reply

--
Alan Silver

Juan T. Llibre

re:
> I was looking for something to help me take the step to real world
> programming instead of simple basic examples.

You might be interested in trying out Visual Web Developer.

http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/vwd/default.aspx

ASP.NET 2.0 is not so far away, and right about now
is a great time to start familiarizing yourself with it,
so that when the product is released, later this year,
you'll be favorably positioned to work with it.

VWD is like a "Mini-Visual Studio" which focuses
exclusively on ASP.NET 2.0 Web Development.

I have a feeling you'll like it.

ASP.NET 1.0 and 1.1 won't be around for much longer
after 2.0 is released ( and even if they are, 2.0 brings
with it many improvements over them ).

Juan T. Llibre
ASP.NET MVP
===========
"Alan Silver" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:8zwEZjEiZ$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >Since you don't have VS.Net you might try the free Web Matrix which is
> >really really good.
> >http://www.asp.net/webmatrix/default...dex=4&tabId=46

> Got it already thanks. I have been through the tutorials, but they are
> fairly basic (as are most of the tutorials I've seen). I was looking for
> something to help me take the step to real world programming instead of
> simple basic examples.
>
>>Following that theme you might want a ASP.Net Web Matrix book, I can't
>>recommend any, but there are plenty out there
>>http://www.wrox.com/WileyCDA/WroxTit...764543741.html for
>>example.
>>
>>I learnt on ASP.Net Unleashed years ago....it's an average book....

> Thanks, I already bought a lousy book, average is beating my first
> attempt!!
>
> --
> Alan Silver

Alan Silver

>re:
>> I was looking for something to help me take the step to real world
>> programming instead of simple basic examples.

>You might be interested in trying out Visual Web Developer.
>
> http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/vwd/default.aspx

Thanks, looks interesting. I'll have to spend some time reading that
large amount of material first!!

Do you know if I need SQL Express, or can I use the existing
installation of SQL Server 2000 that's on my development machine?
There's no point in installing more stuff that I don't need if SQL
Server 2000 will do fine.

>ASP.NET 2.0 is not so far away, and right about now
>is a great time to start familiarizing yourself with it,
>so that when the product is released, later this year,
>you'll be favorably positioned to work with it.

How different is it? I'm just wondering if I'm wasting my time looking
at current ASP.NET stuff is 2.0 is going to make it all out of date. Are
there any books on ASP.NET 2.0?

Thanks for the reply.

--
Alan Silver

Juan T. Llibre

re:
> Do you know if I need SQL Express

VWD's database explorer works
fine with SQL Server 2000.

re:
> How different is it? I'm just wondering if I'm wasting my time looking at
> current ASP.NET stuff is 2.0 is going to make it all out of date.

It's not all going to go away overnight, but soon enough,
anyway. Nothing is a waste of time, but there's a lot of
little things which can trip you going from 1.1 to 2.0.

The current thread on the user account is a perfect example.

In 1.1, it's ASPNET. In 2.0 it's the Network Service account.

And there's many class changes. Classes which are gone;
other classes which have been modified; and totally new
classes which don't exist in 1.1.

re:
>Are there any books on ASP.NET 2.0?

There's several.

Dino Esposito's "Introducing Microsoft ASP.NET 2.0",
Microsoft Press, ISBN 0735620245
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...38201?v=glance

Homer, Sussman and Howard wrote
"A First Look at ASP.NET v 2.0"

You can download sample chapters at
http://www.asp.net/whidbey/ , where you'll also have
access to another boatload of ASP.NET 2.0 info

Patrick Lorenz wrote "ASP.NET 2.0 Revealed"
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg.../-/1590593375/

There's a few more at
http://www.google.com/search?num=30&....NET+2.0+books

Good luck!