Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > HTML 5 Demos on Apple.com

HTML 5 Demos on Apple.com

Garrett Smith

http://developer.apple.com/safaridemos/

Click through to "View Demo" and you'll likely see the error message:

| This demo was designed with the latest web standards supported by
| Safari.

Can you believe this ****? Un****ingbelievable. Where are the guys who
had the idea to carry this out, so I can personally shake their hands?

The ironic thing here is that they are determining support in a pretty
non-HTML 5 way.

The pertinent lines are in browsercheck.js:

| if(this.isSafari4()){
| window.open(element.href,'demo',

'directories=no,location=no,menubar=no,resizable=n o,scrollbars=no,status=no,toolbar=no,height='

| + this.options.height + ',width=' + this.options.width);
| } else {
| if(this.overlay){
| this.overlay.appear({ duration: .3 });
| }
| }

and
| isSafari4: function(){
| if(this._isSafari4 === undefined) {
| if (!AC.Detector.isWebKit()) {
| this._isSafari4 = false;
| } else {
| var ua = navigator.userAgent.toLowerCase();
| var version =
| parseInt(parseFloat(ua.substring(ua.lastIndexOf('s afari/') + 7)), 10);
| this._isSafari4 = (version >= 52;
| }
| }
| return this._isSafari4;
| }

It is parsing the userAgent string to determine if the browser is
Safari. It's like MSND demos only worse because where with MSDN demos,
many of those features were proprietary innovations of Microsoft,
Safari's demos are of standard HTML 5 features.

The HTML 5 specification of navigator.userAgent states:

http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps...ator-useragent

| userAgent
|
| Must return the string used for the value of the "User-Agent" header
| in HTTP requests, or the empty string if no such header is ever sent.

Garrett

Joe Nine

Garrett Smith wrote:
> http://developer.apple.com/safaridemos/
>
> Click through to "View Demo" and you'll likely see the error message:
>
> | This demo was designed with the latest web standards supported by
> | Safari.
>
> Can you believe this ****? Un****ingbelievable. Where are the guys who
> had the idea to carry this out, so I can personally shake their hands?
>
> The ironic thing here is that they are determining support in a pretty
> non-HTML 5 way.
>
> The pertinent lines are in browsercheck.js:
>
> | if(this.isSafari4()){
> | window.open(element.href,'demo',
>
> Garrett

This doesn't surprise me from Apple. They probably want viewers to think
this stuff only works on Safari.

VK

On Jun 6, 7:50*am, Garrett Smith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> http://developer.apple.com/safaridemos/
>
> Click through to "View Demo" and you'll likely see the error message:
>
> | This demo was designed with the latest web standards supported by
> | Safari.

Your objection is not clear. The page is called "Safari Technology
Demos" and it does what has been declared: it demonstrates supported
HTML5 features in latest Safari versions. Obviously in order to
demonstrate these features in this browser, the page needs to be
viewed using Safari.

If the page would be called "Universal HTML5 support test: see what
your current browser can" or the like, then your obsession would be
understandable.

Garrett Smith

On 6/5/2010 11:35 PM, Joe Nine wrote:
> Garrett Smith wrote:
>> http://developer.apple.com/safaridemos/
>>
>> Click through to "View Demo" and you'll likely see the error message:
>>
>> | This demo was designed with the latest web standards supported by
>> | Safari.
>>
>> Can you believe this ****? Un****ingbelievable. Where are the guys who
>> had the idea to carry this out, so I can personally shake their hands?
>>
>> The ironic thing here is that they are determining support in a pretty
>> non-HTML 5 way.
>>
>> The pertinent lines are in browsercheck.js:
>>
>> | if(this.isSafari4()){
>> | window.open(element.href,'demo',
>>
>> Garrett

> This doesn't surprise me from Apple. They probably want viewers to think
> this stuff only works on Safari.

Right. They hype up how cool it is and then, oh, sorry, if you want to
see it, go download Safari. They want to make something cool that works
only in Safari. They then fib to the public that these cool things are
standards and Apple is just way ahead of other browsers in supporting them.

It is an attempt at a massive public deception.

| The demos below show how the latest version of Apple’s Safari web
| browser, new Macs, and new Apple mobile devices all support the
| capabilities of HTML5, CSS3, and JavaScript. Not all browsers offer
| this support. But soon other modern browsers will take advantage of
| these same web standards — and the amazing things they enable web
| designers to do.

Reading that, it comes off like Apple is ahead of the game.

There is absolutely no reason for the browser sniffing; no reason for
not including equivalents to the proprietary css features such as
-webkit-border-radius.

Proprietary features that aren't part of HTML 5 or CSS3 can be expected
to fail in other browsers, however such things cannot be honestly called
HTML 5 and CSS3.

Garrett

rf

"Joe Nine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:huffjj$ur$02$(E-Mail Removed)-online.com...
> Garrett Smith wrote:
>> http://developer.apple.com/safaridemos/
>>
>> Click through to "View Demo" and you'll likely see the error message:
>>
>> | This demo was designed with the latest web standards supported by
>> | Safari.
>>
>> Can you believe this ****? Un****ingbelievable. Where are the guys who
>> had the idea to carry this out, so I can personally shake their hands?

The same message appears using Winidows Safari. Yes, it's a slightly old
version but the can't even tell if I am using their own products

A very good incentive to never ever use Safari of any flavour.

Ry Nohryb

On Jun 6, 8:55*am, Garrett Smith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 6/5/2010 11:35 PM, Joe Nine wrote:
>
> > This doesn't surprise me from Apple. They probably want viewers to think
> > this stuff only works on Safari.

Because most of this stuff currently only works in Safari: YES, Safari
is the leader, whether you like it or not.

> Right. They hype up how cool it is and then, oh, sorry, if you want to
> see it, go download Safari. They want to make something cool that works
> only in Safari. They then fib to the public that these cool things are
> standards and Apple is just way ahead of other browsers in supporting them.
>
> It is an attempt at a massive public deception.

As usual, you're able to read but not to comprehend.

> | The demos below show how the latest version of Apple’s Safari web
> | browser, new Macs, and new Apple mobile devices all support the
> | capabilities of HTML5, CSS3, and JavaScript. Not all browsers offer
> | this support. But soon other modern browsers will take advantage of
> | these same web standards — and the amazing things they enable web
> | designers to do.
>
> Reading that, it comes off like Apple is ahead of the game.

Because they *are* ahead.

> There is absolutely no reason for the browser sniffing; no reason for
> not including equivalents to the proprietary css features such as
> -webkit-border-radius.

Browser makers are obligated to prepend their brand name in front of
any proprietary CSS extensions. When/if their proprietary extensions
ever make it into a w3 standard, then the prefix will be removed. E.g.
Mozillas have their own moz-border too. Now that it's a w3 standard
(not yet, but almost there), you can type just border-radius, but only
a few browsers (and not all safaris) will recognize it in the
standards-compliant prefix-less way.

And, for many of Apple's proposed-as-a-standard extensions there are
no equivalences yet: CSS 2d transitions, CSS 2d animations, CSS 3d
transitions, CSS 3d animations, etc.

Also, no other browser but Safari is currently able to play h264
<video> nor AAV <audio>, nor 3d webGL content, nor... etc.

> Proprietary features that aren't part of HTML 5 or CSS3 can be expected
> to fail in other browsers, however such things cannot be honestly called
> HTML 5 and CSS3.

Yes they can, because they're on the w3 table for standardization in/
as HTML5.
--
Jorge.

Ry Nohryb

On Jun 6, 9:33*am, "rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> The same message appears using Winidows Safari. Yes, it's a slightly old
> version but the can't even tell if I am using their own products

It's not just about "using Safari", it's about using a version of
Safari that supports that features, genius.
--
Jorge.

Ry Nohryb

On Jun 6, 8:50*am, VK <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jun 6, 7:50*am, Garrett Smith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >http://developer.apple.com/safaridemos/

> > Click through to "View Demo" and you'll likely see the error message:

> > | This demo was designed with the latest web standards supported by
> > | Safari.

> Your objection is not clear. The page is called "Safari Technology
> Demos" and it does what has been declared: it demonstrates supported
> HTML5 features in latest Safari versions. Obviously in order to
> demonstrate these features in this browser, the page needs to be
> viewed using Safari.
>
> If the page would be called "Universal HTML5 support test: see what
> your current browser can" or the like, then your obsession would be
> understandable.

Exactly. But Garrett has problems with reading comprehension.
--
Jorge.

Ry Nohryb

On Jun 6, 8:35*am, Joe Nine <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> This doesn't surprise me from Apple. They probably want viewers to think
> this stuff only works on Safari.

Because most of this stuff currently only works in Safari and to a
lesser extent in Chrome too (because it shares the webkit engine). Try
any of these in IE, LOL, ROTFLOL.
--
Jorge.

Gregor Kofler

Am 2010-06-06 05:50, Garrett Smith meinte:
> http://developer.apple.com/safaridemos/
>
> Click through to "View Demo" and you'll likely see the error message:
>
> | This demo was designed with the latest web standards supported by
> | Safari.
>
> Can you believe this ****? Un****ingbelievable. Where are the guys who
> had the idea to carry this out, so I can personally shake their hands?

Perhaps hanging out with the guys doing the page, and who are utterly
incompetent, when it comes to proper web authoring.

And after all: They somehow have to give their browserdetect.js shite a go.

Gregor

--
http://www.gregorkofler.com