Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > Find all event listeners on a link, including delegated listeners?

Find all event listeners on a link, including delegated listeners?

Matt Kruse

I'm trying to reverse-engineer a page (Facebook, in particular) and
figure out what happens when a certain link is clicked. For this
exercise, I only care about Firefox.

What is the best way to find out what happens when I click a link,
what function calls are fired, and on what elements they are attached
to as listeners?

I have Firebug, of course, but perhaps I don't know how to use it
correctly to find this info.

Thanks,

Matt Kruse

Jeremy J Starcher

On Wed, 26 May 2010 11:09:22 -0700, Matt Kruse wrote:

> What is the best way to find out what happens when I click a link, what
> function calls are fired, and on what elements they are attached to as
> listeners?

May not get you everything, but as an idea try this:

Turn on profiling, click a button, then turn profiling back off.

nick

On May 26, 2:09*pm, Matt Kruse <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'm trying to reverse-engineer a page (Facebook, in particular) and
> figure out what happens when a certain link is clicked. For this
> exercise, I only care about Firefox.

Give one of the dev builds of chromium a shot...

> What is the best way to find out what happens when I click a link,
> what function calls are fired, and on what elements they are attached
> to as listeners?

Open the debug console, click scripts tab (in chromium, don't remember
firebug equivalent), hit the pause button (looks like two vertical
lines), click the link.

> I have Firebug, of course, but perhaps I don't know how to use it
> correctly to find this info.

Try the developer tools in chrome, you'll never look back.