Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > Video: Ryan Dahl: Node.js

Video: Ryan Dahl: Node.js

Ry Nohryb

On May 25, 9:54*pm, Scott Sauyet <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> (...) Jorge, next time could you supply a little context? (...)

Sure, Scott. Here's some more:

http://jsconf.eu/2009/video_nodejs_by_ryan_dahl.html
http://vimeo.com/9968301

Enjoy,
--
Jorge.

David Mark

On May 25, 6:29*pm, Ry Nohryb <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On May 25, 11:49*pm, Garrett Smith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > The most recent time this came up was when discussing "Non Browser
> > Implementations".

> Yes, genius, yes. And 2 months ago, when discussing another of your
> screwed-up FAQ entries: "FAQ Topic - How can I access the client-side
> filesystem? ". See:http://groups.google.com/group/comp....wse_thread/thr...
>
> But, of course:http://google.com/search?q="node.js"+site:jibbering.com
> sill yields: Your search - "node.js" site:jibbering.com - did not
> match any documents
>
> Because the FAQ is permanently outdated.

Permanently outdated?

Michael Haufe (\TNO\)

On May 25, 1:12*pm, Scott Sauyet <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> If someone is to review this, I hope it is not someone whose main
> focus seems to be on browser scripting.
>
> Node.js is all about server-side JS, using the V8 engine.
>
> I don't know enough about that subject to offer a review, but would
> love to see one from someone who does. *There are some surprising
> results, including a simple server that outperforms nginx in requests/
> second.
>
> One interesting thing about the presentation is the argument that
> JavaScript is the perfect language for doing IO-centric operations if
> only JS supported IO. *It's reasonably convincing.

Here's my take on it having no knowledge of it beyond the video:

*built on V8, hence limited to that version of JS and not whats
supported in say Rhino

*For the same reason its better than Microsoft's JScript.

*Server Speed claim: Needs verification

*Consumes a significant amount of memory for what seems to be trivial
work.

*Uses CommonJS style "Modules". Whether this is a good idea and
approach is debateable as can be seen in the es-discuss mailing list.

*Concurrency with I/O as presented is far too vague to come to a
conclusion. It raises more questions than answers.

*All I/O requires a callback or so he claims. This is probably
inaccurate at best as I'm sure he doesn't include uses of the Date
object for example. Either way, this is pretty inconvenient in
comparison to most languages/frameworks.

*One of the design goals is to be Low-Level, but:"Threads should only
be used by experts.... you'll write it in C".
I guess his big ole brain knows better than anyone who plans to use
his invention.

*He's also agains the use of co-routines because they're too hard,

*A design issue that bugs me is the differing patterns for creating
objects.
Also the argument for the .end() method seems unnecessarily
redundant.

*overall I think its an immature and premature.

If you want JS on the server stick with Rhino or JScript at this point.

john

On 25 May 2:54 PM, David Mark wrote:
> Ry Nohryb wrote:
>>> Do you read this group at all?
>>>
>>> Stop polluting your brain with YUI drivel. Do I really need to review
>>> their "Node.js"

>> Yes, you ought to. Node.js has nothing to do with YUI.

> Well, that's something.

it's too bad that the experts/regulars in this group seem to be so
unaware of such an interesting project as to not even recognize its
name. to a novice (i.e. hobby programmer) such as myself it looks like
one of the more interesting additions to the ECMAScript ecosystem in
recent times (certainly more so than the seemingly never ending supply
of "cross browser" scripting libraries). doing system scripting, HTTP
servers, database drivers, web frameworks etc. in ECMAScript would seem
like more exciting work than what the typical web application offers. do
the people around here with a deep understanding of ECMAScript really
not find any interest in the language outside a browsing context?

>> Node.js is a
>> wonderful thing for any JS programmer, even more so if he happens to
>> love unix.

> Whatever. Stupid name though. Sounds like a filename (hence my initial
> confusion).

certainly no more "stupid" than a library named "My Library." honestly,
no offense meant as your library (among others maintained by regulars
here) has proved quite educational in my (so far insignificant) foray
into browser scripting; but this seems like a really silly criticism in
the broad scheme of things. in fact most popular open source projects
seem to have "stupid" names. perhaps it's part of a grand strategy

Michael Haufe (\TNO\)

On May 26, 1:05*am, john <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> it's too bad that the experts/regulars in this group seem to be so
> unaware of such an interesting project as to not even recognize its
> name.

Its an old idea in a new form. node.js is far from the first foray of
JavaScript into the server (which was first seen in 1998 AFAIK with
Netscape). So is it innovative? No. Is it an interesting project?
Sure. Perhaps once it gains a 1.0 version status, and when the novelty
wears off it can be looked at in a more objective manner.

> do the people around here with a deep understanding of ECMAScript really
> not find any interest in the language outside a browsing context?

This is a false characterization and exaggeration of the people who
visit this group.

Sean Kinsey

On May 26, 8:05*am, john <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> it's too bad that the experts/regulars in this group seem to be so
> unaware of such an interesting project as to not even recognize its
> name.

I especially remember TE's take on it
http://groups.google.com/group/comp....4d99c459e911cb

Scott Sauyet

Ry Nohryb wrote:
> On May 25, 9:54*pm, Scott Sauyet <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> (...) Jorge, next time could you supply a little context? (...)

> Sure, Scott. Here's some more:
>
> http://jsconf.eu/2009/video_nodejs_by_ryan_dahl.html
> http://vimeo.com/9968301

I can't tell if this is simply intended as a joke.

I was complaining about your posting a raw link to a video without
accompanying it with some text describing what the video is about.
Posting two more links to additional videos -- again with no
explanation -- just makes it worse.

--
Scott

Ry Nohryb

On May 26, 4:36*pm, Scott Sauyet <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Ry Nohryb wrote:
> > On May 25, 9:54*pm, Scott Sauyet <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> (...) Jorge, next time could you supply a little context? (...)

> > Sure, Scott. Here's some more:

> >http://jsconf.eu/2009/video_nodejs_by_ryan_dahl.html
> >http://vimeo.com/9968301

> I can't tell if this is simply intended as a joke.
>
> I was complaining about your posting a raw link to a video without
> accompanying it with some text describing what the video is about.
> Posting two more links to additional videos -- again with no
> explanation -- just makes it worse.

Sorry, now that you say it, yes, I realize that it looks very much
like a -bad- joke. Sincerely, that wasn't my intention. The videos are
2 other (previous) presentations of Node.js, by Ryan Dahl. It's been
by watching the one @ jsconf.eu that I got aware of Node.js.
--
Jorge.

Scott Sauyet

Ry Nohryb wrote:
> On May 26, 4:36*pm, Scott Sauyet <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I can't tell if this is simply intended as a joke. [ ... ]

> Sorry, now that you say it, yes, I realize that it looks very much
> like a -bad- joke. Sincerely, that wasn't my intention. The videos are
> 2 other (previous) presentations of Node.js, by Ryan Dahl. It's been
> by watching the one @ jsconf.eu that I got aware of Node.js.

Thanks. Much better. And the rest of this thread has helped
explain a little about what node.js actually is.

--
Scott

Ry Nohryb

On May 26, 7:06*pm, Scott Sauyet <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Thanks. *Much better. * *And the rest of this thread has helped
> explain a little about what node.js actually is.

Certainly not TNO's posts. I think he's very very much disoriented wrt
Node. Node is a tiny, lovely, and damn fast thing that you program in
our much beloved JS. I'm using it now in every project. In some cases
it's running 40 times faster than the Ruby tool it replaces... DAMN
FAST
--
Jorge.