Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > Quick question about newsreaders and post titles

Quick question about newsreaders and post titles

nick

I expect the question may have many different answers.

If I were to go through a bunch of threads and change the titles so
that they were all the same (for example, "[spam]"), would your
newsreader lump the threads into one thread so they did not clutter up
your display? Or would it just make more of a mess?

I know it's not a js-related question, but the end result will be a js-
based solution if renaming the threads would be useful.

Scott Sauyet

Stefan Weiss wrote:
> On 19/05/10 02:43, nick wrote:
> BTW, I would really suggest you try a real newsreader instead of Google
> Groups. I see so many regulars posting via Google, and for the life of
> me I can't understand it. A dedicated program, or even a combination
> like Thunderbird, gives you so much more performance and a much better
> overview. Not to speak of the other usual features like scoring,
> killfiles, etc.

Nick might well be in a similar situation to me. I could easily use a
newsreader at home (and I do use Thunderbird for some NNTP servers)
but I do a lot of my posting from work, and I have not found any way
to use a newsreader through the filters, whereas I can easily use GG
there. Often that simply spills over to home. I have an eternal-
september account, and could use it at home, but then that's two
different interfaces to the same content, which gets confusing.

It's a shame, because the benefits you describe for newreaders over GG
are, if anything, understated. But there doesn't seem to be much for
me to do.

-- Scott

Jukka Lahtinen

Scott Sauyet <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Nick might well be in a similar situation to me. I could easily use a
> newsreader at home (and I do use Thunderbird for some NNTP servers)
> but I do a lot of my posting from work, and I have not found any way
> to use a newsreader through the filters, whereas I can easily use GG

Whenever I want to check the newsgroups at work (like now), I just take
an ssh connection to my home computer and start the same newsreader I
use at home, using the same .newsrc file and all the same
configurations.

Ever since the late 1980's when I found out usenet, I used to take the
ssh or telnet connection to my isp's shell computer for newsreading both
from home and from office, but they shut down the shell computer on
January with no replacement, so I had to start running the newsreader at
home.

--
Jukka Lahtinen

Scott Sauyet

On May 19, 7:56*am, Jukka Lahtinen <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Scott Sauyet <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> Nick might well be in a similar situation to me. *I could easily use a
>> newsreader at home (and I do use Thunderbird for some NNTP servers)
>> but I do a lot of my posting from work, and I have not found any way
>> to use a newsreader through the filters, whereas I can easily use GG

> Whenever I want to check the newsgroups at work (like now), I just take
> an ssh connection to my home computer and start the same newsreader I
> use at home, using the same .newsrc file and all the same
> configurations.

That's an interesting possibility I never considered. I don't like
the idea of leaving my home machine running all the time, but I will
certainly think about it.

> Ever since the late 1980's when I found out usenet, I used to take the
> ssh or telnet connection to my isp's shell computer for newsreading both
> from home and from office, but they shut down the shell computer on
> January with no replacement, so I had to start running the newsreader at
> home.

That's another approach I never considered. I have several servers I
can ssh into that might work. I'll have to see if any of them work.

Thanks for the ideas,

--
Scott