Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > FAQ Topic - How do I modify the content of the current page? (2010-04-14)

FAQ Topic - How do I modify the content of the current page? (2010-04-14)

FAQ server

FAQ Topic - How do I modify the content of the current
page?

Using the non-standard but widely implemented ` innerHTML ` property:
` <div id="anID">Some Content</div> ` with script:

document.getElementById("anID").innerHTML =
"Some <em>new</em> Content";

Where ` "anID" ` is the (unique on the HTML page)
` id ` attribute value of the element to modify.

If the new content is only text and does not need to replace existing HTML,
it is more efficient to modify the ` data ` property of a text node.

document.getElementById("anID").firstChild.data = "Some new Text";

Compatibility Note: Implementations have been known to split long text
content among several adjacent text nodes, so replacing the data of the
first text node may not replace all the element's text. The ` normalize `
method, where supported, will combine adjacent text nodes.

Note: Make sure the element exists in the document (has been parsed) before trying to
reference it.

http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-2-Cor...ml#ID-FF21A306

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...8VS.85%29.aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...8VS.85%29.aspx

http://developer.mozilla.org/en/Whitespace_in_the_DOM

http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs...ment.innerHTML

http://jibbering.com/faq/faq_notes/alt_dynwrite.html

The complete comp.lang.javascript FAQ is at
http://jibbering.com/faq/

--

The sendings of these daily posts are proficiently hosted
by http://www.pair.com.

Dr J R Stockton

In comp.lang.javascript message <4bc4f77a$0$286$(E-Mail Removed)
>, Tue, 13 Apr 2010 23:00:03, FAQ server <(E-Mail Removed)>

posted:
>FAQ Topic - How do I modify the content of the current
>page?
>
>Using the non-standard but widely implemented ` innerHTML ` property:
>` <div id="anID">Some Content</div> ` with script:
>
>document.getElementById("anID").innerHTML =
>"Some <em>new</em> Content";
>
>Where ` "anID" ` is the (unique on the HTML page)
>` id ` attribute value of the element to modify.

I think that it should be said explicitly that (almost?) any element can
be given an ID; that any element can have an innerHTML property altered
or created; and that almost(?) any element normally displays its
innerHTML property - after adjusting to be accurate. Otherwise, it is
not obvious how widely that, and the DOM version, can be used.

--
(c) John Stockton, nr London UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
Proper <= 4-line sig. separator as above, a line exactly "-- " (RFCs 5536/7)

Garrett Smith

Dr J R Stockton wrote:
> In comp.lang.javascript message <4bc4f77a$0$286$(E-Mail Removed)
>> , Tue, 13 Apr 2010 23:00:03, FAQ server <(E-Mail Removed)>

> posted:
>> FAQ Topic - How do I modify the content of the current
>> page?
>>
>> Using the non-standard but widely implemented ` innerHTML ` property:
>> ` <div id="anID">Some Content</div> ` with script:
>>
>> document.getElementById("anID").innerHTML =
>> "Some <em>new</em> Content";
>>
>> Where ` "anID" ` is the (unique on the HTML page)
>> ` id ` attribute value of the element to modify.

> I think that it should be said explicitly that (almost?) any element can
> be given an ID; that any element can have an innerHTML property altered
> or created; and that almost(?) any element normally displays its
> innerHTML property - after adjusting to be accurate. Otherwise, it is
> not obvious how widely that, and the DOM version, can be used.

Not all elements cannot have innerHTML. For example, what would
innerHTML mean for IMG, BR, HR?

As with any host object, one must read the pertinent specification and
documentation of the target implementation(s).

The documentation for MSIE states:

| The property is read/write for all objects except the following, for
| which it is read-only: COL, COLGROUP, FRAMESET, HEAD, HTML, STYLE,
| TABLE, TBODY, TFOOT, THEAD, TITLE, TR.

<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms533897%28VS.85%29.aspx>

And so the answer to the problem if unknown implementation is that the
onus is on the developer to familiarize himself with the specifications
(where applicable), the documentation of the pertinent implementations
(where available), and, last but not least, he must test.

Something to that effect is needed for entry "What is a host object".
--
Garrett

Dr J R Stockton

In comp.lang.javascript message <hq80ng$j8b$(E-Mail Removed)-
september.org>, Thu, 15 Apr 2010 14:33:33, Garrett Smith
<(E-Mail Removed)> posted:
>Dr J R Stockton wrote:
>> In comp.lang.javascript message <4bc4f77a$0$286$(E-Mail Removed)
>>> , Tue, 13 Apr 2010 23:00:03, FAQ server <(E-Mail Removed)>

>> posted:
>>> FAQ Topic - How do I modify the content of the current
>>> page?
>>>
>>> Using the non-standard but widely implemented ` innerHTML ` property:
>>> ` <div id="anID">Some Content</div> ` with script:
>>>
>>> document.getElementById("anID").innerHTML =
>>> "Some <em>new</em> Content";
>>>
>>> Where ` "anID" ` is the (unique on the HTML page)
>>> ` id ` attribute value of the element to modify.

>> I think that it should be said explicitly that (almost?) any
>>element can
>> be given an ID; that any element can have an innerHTML property altered
>> or created; and that almost(?) any element normally displays its
>> innerHTML property - after adjusting to be accurate. Otherwise, it is
>> not obvious how widely that, and the DOM version, can be used.
>>

>Not all elements cannot have innerHTML. For example, what would
>innerHTML mean for IMG, BR, HR?

An innerHTML property can be assigned to a <br> element. I just did it.
The property does not display (expected); but it can after assignment be
read, even if the result is unexpected.

But you show no sign of having perceived the point, which is that, while
the innerHTML example uses only <div>, other text-containers can be
used. A typical FAQ reader may well not realise that.

And remember : the standard only days what one ought to be able to do.
Test shows what one can do.

--

Dr J R Stockton wrote:
> In comp.lang.javascript message <hq80ng$j8b$(E-Mail Removed)-
> september.org>, Thu, 15 Apr 2010 14:33:33, Garrett Smith
> <(E-Mail Removed)> posted:
>> Dr J R Stockton wrote:
>>> In comp.lang.javascript message <4bc4f77a$0$286$(E-Mail Removed)
>>> posted:

>>> I think that it should be said explicitly that (almost?) any
>>> element can
>>> be given an ID; that any element can have an innerHTML property altered
>>> or created; and that almost(?) any element normally displays its
>>> innerHTML property - after adjusting to be accurate. Otherwise, it is
>>> not obvious how widely that, and the DOM version, can be used.
>>>

>> Not all elements cannot have innerHTML. For example, what would
>> innerHTML mean for IMG, BR, HR?

> An innerHTML property can be assigned to a <br> element. I just did it.
> The property does not display (expected); but it can after assignment be
> read, even if the result is unexpected.
>
> But you show no sign of having perceived the point, which is that, while
> the innerHTML example uses only <div>, other text-containers can be
> used. A typical FAQ reader may well not realise that.

MSDN and DevMo documentation are linked.
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms533897%28VS.85%29.aspx>
<http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/DOM:element.innerHTML>

Is more documentation on innerHTML desirable? We have HTML5 draft
standard; which is a w3c WD.

There is, surprisingly, Safari documentation. Unsurprisingly, it is as
bad as can be expected and the URL should be fixed before being linked
from anywhere. Who remembers such long URL:
<http://developer.apple.com/Mac/library/documentation/AppleApplications/Reference/WebKitDOMRef/HTMLElement_idl/Classes/HTMLElement/index.html>

?? JFC.

> And remember : the standard only days what one ought to be able to do.
> Test shows what one can do.

The closest thing to a standard for innerHTML is whatwg draft standard
HTML5 and that defines innerHTML differently than it works in IE.

The whatwg pages have a javascript popup that causes the page to load
very slowly and locks up the browser. This puts the document in
persepective with contrast to the author's web programming skills. OTOH,
the slowness is intolerable. Linking to w3c.
<http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#innerhtml>

- and even with that, we see yet another example of a javascript error:

| fixBrokenLink is not defined
| [Break on this error] fixBrokenLink();
| Overview.html (line 281)

How about "fixBrokenSpec?"

Regarding your comment "tests show what one can do," I suggest that one
does not, by trial and error, figure out what "works". Chances are, the
result is going to be nonstandard, possibly a bug that will be fixed, or
will exhibit adverse side effects (and then have developers scrambling
in the next release of the browser, adding X-UA-Compatible and updating
their browser sniffer scripts).

A good solution is standard, simple, and works as specified,
consistently across a wide set of implementations.
--
Garrett

Dr J R Stockton

In comp.lang.javascript message <hqe7j3$9r6$(E-Mail Removed)-
september.org>, Sat, 17 Apr 2010 23:07:29, Garrett Smith
<(E-Mail Removed)> posted:

>Regarding your comment "tests show what one can do," I suggest that one
>does not, by trial and error, figure out what "works".

Observation shows that to be the commonest method.

> Chances are, the result is going to be nonstandard, possibly a bug
>that will be fixed, or will exhibit adverse side effects (and then have
>developers scrambling in the next release of the browser, adding X-UA-
>Compatible and updating their browser sniffer scripts).
>
>A good solution is standard, simple, and works as specified,
>consistently across a wide set of implementations.

No : A good solution is simple and works as expected, consistently
across a wide set of implementations; and does not conflict with
applicable standards.

The standards process is slow, and browsers are frequently updated; a
feature may become safe to use well before it can be found in a formal
standard.

--
(c) John Stockton, nr London UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
Proper <= 4-line sig. separator as above, a line exactly "-- " (RFCs 5536/7)
Do not Mail News to me. Before a reply, quote with ">" or "> " (RFCs 5536/7)

Dr J R Stockton

In comp.lang.javascript message <4bc4f77a$0$286$(E-Mail Removed)
>, Tue, 13 Apr 2010 23:00:03, FAQ server <(E-Mail Removed)>

posted:
>---
>FAQ Topic - How do I modify the content of the current
>page?
>---
>
>Using the non-standard but widely implemented ` innerHTML ` property:
>` <div id="anID">Some Content</div> ` with script:
>
>document.getElementById("anID").innerHTML =
>"Some <em>new</em> Content";

ISTM that, where the element is a PRE, and the assigned string contains
whitespace, then for IE8 each block of whitespace is treated as a single
space, and for other browsers the whitespace is happily preserved.

That may be worth mentioning.

>If the new content is only text and does not need to replace existing HTML,
>it is more efficient to modify the ` data ` property of a text node.
>
>document.getElementById("anID").firstChild.data = "Some new Text";

Using that preserves the whitespace, but does not treat a A<sub>J</sub>
as HTML - which in this case is worse. Code is at
<URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/js-randm.htm#GP>, subsection "New
Test", function ResolD. The function contains Wryt which uses
innerHTML.

Function ResolD is new, superseding ResolA ResolB ResolC. On the
reasonable assumption that the only stuck bits are trailing zeroes, it
determines the number of significant bits in the value of Math.random()
as a function of the position of the leading "1" bit when the value is
represented in fixed-point binary.

MS IE 8 1 53, 2 54, 3 54, 4 54, 5 54, 6 54, ...
Firefox 3.0.19 1 53, 2 53, 3 53, 4 53, 5 53, 6 53, ...
Opera 10.10 1 53, 2 53, 3 53, 4 53, 5 53, 6 53, ...
Safari 4.0.5 1 30, 2 30, 3 30, 4 30, 5 30, 6 30, ...
Chrome 4.1 1 30, 2 30, 3 30, 4 30, 5 30, 6 30, ...

--
(c) John Stockton, near London. *@merlyn.demon.co.uk/?.?(E-Mail Removed)
Correct <= 4-line sig. separator as above, a line precisely "-- " (RFC5536/7)

Garrett Smith

Dr J R Stockton wrote:
> In comp.lang.javascript message <4bc4f77a$0$286$(E-Mail Removed)
>> , Tue, 13 Apr 2010 23:00:03, FAQ server <(E-Mail Removed)>

> posted:
>> ---
>> FAQ Topic - How do I modify the content of the current
>> page?
>> ---
>>
>> Using the non-standard but widely implemented ` innerHTML ` property:
>> ` <div id="anID">Some Content</div> ` with script:
>>
>> document.getElementById("anID").innerHTML =
>> "Some <em>new</em> Content";

> ISTM that, where the element is a PRE, and the assigned string contains
> whitespace, then for IE8 each block of whitespace is treated as a single
> space, and for other browsers the whitespace is happily preserved.
>
> That may be worth mentioning.

There are other deviations between implementations and discrenpencies
with the Draft Standard HTML 5.

<http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/apis-in-html-documents.html#innerhtml>

Says there document.innerHTML is available but it is not available in
the latest of Opera or Firefox.

HTML 5 also specifies behavior that diverges greatly from what any
version of Internet Explorer does.

>> If the new content is only text and does not need to replace existing HTML,
>> it is more efficient to modify the ` data ` property of a text node.
>>
>> document.getElementById("anID").firstChild.data = "Some new Text";

> Using that preserves the whitespace, but does not treat a A<sub>J</sub>
> as HTML - which in this case is worse. Code is at
> <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/js-randm.htm#GP>, subsection "New
> Test", function ResolD. The function contains Wryt which uses
> innerHTML.

The paragraph in the FAQ begins with "If the new content is only text."
The specification is linked as well.

> Function ResolD is new, superseding ResolA ResolB ResolC. On the
> reasonable assumption that the only stuck bits are trailing zeroes, it
> determines the number of significant bits in the value of Math.random()
> as a function of the position of the leading "1" bit when the value is
> represented in fixed-point binary.
>
> MS IE 8 1 53, 2 54, 3 54, 4 54, 5 54, 6 54, ...
> Firefox 3.0.19 1 53, 2 53, 3 53, 4 53, 5 53, 6 53, ...
> Opera 10.10 1 53, 2 53, 3 53, 4 53, 5 53, 6 53, ...
> Safari 4.0.5 1 30, 2 30, 3 30, 4 30, 5 30, 6 30, ...
> Chrome 4.1 1 30, 2 30, 3 30, 4 30, 5 30, 6 30, ...

OK, but what's that got to do with this FAQ Entry?
--
Garrett

Dr J R Stockton

In comp.lang.javascript message <hqqom3$jlf$(E-Mail Removed)-
september.org>, Thu, 22 Apr 2010 17:12:47, Garrett Smith
<(E-Mail Removed)> posted:
>Dr J R Stockton wrote:
>> In comp.lang.javascript message <4bc4f77a$0$286$(E-Mail Removed)
>>> , Tue, 13 Apr 2010 23:00:03, FAQ server <(E-Mail Removed)>

>> posted:
>>> ---
>>> FAQ Topic - How do I modify the content of the current
>>> page?
>>> ---
>>>
>>> Using the non-standard but widely implemented ` innerHTML ` property:
>>> ` <div id="anID">Some Content</div> ` with script:
>>>
>>> document.getElementById("anID").innerHTML =
>>> "Some <em>new</em> Content";

>> ISTM that, where the element is a PRE, and the assigned string
>>contains
>> whitespace, then for IE8 each block of whitespace is treated as a single
>> space, and for other browsers the whitespace is happily preserved.
>> That may be worth mentioning.
>>

>There are other deviations between implementations and discrenpencies
>with the Draft Standard HTML 5.
>
><http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps...ipage/apis-in-
>html-documents.html#innerhtml>
>
>Says there document.innerHTML is available but it is not available in
>the latest of Opera or Firefox.

It is present in the latest ordinary releases of those; I don't use
betas & suchlike.

Removal would be a mistake.

>HTML 5 also specifies behavior that diverges greatly from what any
>version of Internet Explorer does.

The FAQ should concern itself predominantly with what browsers actually
do, not with what a possible future standard might say.

>>> If the new content is only text and does not need to replace
>>>existing HTML,
>>> it is more efficient to modify the ` data ` property of a text node.
>>>
>>> document.getElementById("anID").firstChild.data = "Some new Text";

>> Using that preserves the whitespace, but does not treat a
>>A<sub>J</sub>
>> as HTML - which in this case is worse. Code is at
>> <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/js-randm.htm#GP>, subsection "New
>> Test", function ResolD. The function contains Wryt which uses
>> innerHTML.
>>

>The paragraph in the FAQ begins with "If the new content is only text."
>The specification is linked as well.

Yes, but not helpful. Remember that thread topics expand. There is a
clear difference in behaviour here between IE & the rest, and I was
hoping to be offered a convenient workround.

If innerHTML does go, the FAQ will need to offer a compatible
replacement for
element.innerHTML = StringOfHTML ;
..firstChild.data is inadequate.

>> Function ResolD is new, superseding ResolA ResolB ResolC. On the
>> reasonable assumption that the only stuck bits are trailing zeroes, it
>> determines the number of significant bits in the value of Math.random()
>> as a function of the position of the leading "1" bit when the value is
>> represented in fixed-point binary.
>> MS IE 8 1 53, 2 54, 3 54, 4 54, 5 54, 6 54, ...
>> Firefox 3.0.19 1 53, 2 53, 3 53, 4 53, 5 53, 6 53, ...
>> Opera 10.10 1 53, 2 53, 3 53, 4 53, 5 53, 6 53, ...
>> Safari 4.0.5 1 30, 2 30, 3 30, 4 30, 5 30, 6 30, ...
>> Chrome 4.1 1 30, 2 30, 3 30, 4 30, 5 30, 6 30, ...
>>

>OK, but what's that got to do with this FAQ Entry?

The page was cited, and the new result form might be of interest or
amusing.

Lasse, do you still have an Opera with the range bug discussed here in
2003?

--
(c) John Stockton, nr London, UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v6.05 IE 7.
I find MiniTrue useful for viewing/searching/altering files, at a DOS prompt;

Garrett Smith

Dr J R Stockton wrote:
> In comp.lang.javascript message <hqqom3$jlf$(E-Mail Removed)-
> september.org>, Thu, 22 Apr 2010 17:12:47, Garrett Smith
> <(E-Mail Removed)> posted:
>> Dr J R Stockton wrote:
>>> In comp.lang.javascript message <4bc4f77a$0$286$(E-Mail Removed)
>>> posted:

[...]
>> There are other deviations between implementations and discrenpencies
>> with the Draft Standard HTML 5.
>>
>> <http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps...ipage/apis-in-
>> html-documents.html#innerhtml>
>>
>> Says there document.innerHTML is available but it is not available in
>> the latest of Opera or Firefox.

> It is present in the latest ordinary releases of those; I don't use
> betas & suchlike.
>
> Removal would be a mistake.

Removal would only be possible if it had been added in the first place.

Are you sure you tried document.innerHTML? Try it again, with copy'n'paste:

javascript: alert(document.innerHTML);

>> HTML 5 also specifies behavior that diverges greatly from what any
>> version of Internet Explorer does.

> The FAQ should concern itself predominantly with what browsers actually
> do, not with what a possible future standard might say.

What browsers do totally varies. What IE does for innerHTML can be
unexpected and unintuitive.

You may say "innerHTML works," but can you explain precisely what
actually happens when setting or getting innerHTML? Sounds easy until
you actually sit down and try to do some in depth analysis, replete with
edge cases, across multiple browsers and versions.

It has been a while since I have looked very closely at the issue, but
from recollection, attributes may appear in IE out of order, unquoted,
and represented as properties.

HTML 5 is trying to codify existing behavior here. Of course it can't
get it totally right, that is why the proposal for a new property made
sense (to me, at least).

HTML 5 sort of codifies what happens in other browsers, because IE,
although the creator of this property, is a minority with its cases of
unintuitive, badly designed, seemingly wrong behavior.

[...]

>> The paragraph in the FAQ begins with "If the new content is only text."
>> The specification is linked as well.

> Yes, but not helpful. Remember that thread topics expand. There is a
> clear difference in behaviour here between IE & the rest, and I was
> hoping to be offered a convenient workround.

Can you mention the problem that you think should be addressed here? Is
it whitespace? What are you getting at?

> If innerHTML does go, the FAQ will need to offer a compatible
> replacement for
> element.innerHTML = StringOfHTML ;
> .firstChild.data is inadequate.

innerHTML isn't going to go away - don't worry about that!

I mentioned document.innerHTML. On *document*, as in document.innerHTML.

[...]
--
Garrett