Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > FAQ Topic - What is a host object? (2010-04-04)

FAQ Topic - What is a host object? (2010-04-04)

FAQ server

FAQ Topic - What is a host object?

A host object is any object supplied by the host environment to
complete the execution environment of ECMAScript.

A host object is not part of the ECMAScript implementation, but is
exposed to the ECMAScript implementation.

A host object may be implemented as a native ECMAScript object, however
this is not required. For example, Internet Explorer, implements many
scriptable DOM objects as ActiveX Objects, often resulting in unexpected errors.

http://jibbering.com/faq//faq/notes/...s/#hostObjects

The complete comp.lang.javascript FAQ is at
http://jibbering.com/faq/

--

The sendings of these daily posts are proficiently hosted
by http://www.pair.com.

Garrett Smith

FAQ server wrote:
> FAQ Topic - What is a host object?
>
> A host object is any object supplied by the host environment to
> complete the execution environment of ECMAScript.
>
> A host object is not part of the ECMAScript implementation, but is
> exposed to the ECMAScript implementation.
>
> A host object may be implemented as a native ECMAScript object, however
> this is not required. For example, Internet Explorer, implements many

^
That extra comma should not be there. Fixed.
--
Garrett

Garrett Smith

FAQ server wrote:
> FAQ Topic - What is a host object?
>
> A host object is any object supplied by the host environment to
> complete the execution environment of ECMAScript.
>
> A host object is not part of the ECMAScript implementation, but is
> exposed to the ECMAScript implementation.
>
> A host object may be implemented as a native ECMAScript object, however
> this is not required. For example, Internet Explorer, implements many
> scriptable DOM objects as ActiveX Objects, often resulting in unexpected errors.
>
> http://jibbering.com/faq//faq/notes/...s/#hostObjects

That URI is not right. I've adjusted the URI in the XML so that when
Bart's program parses it, the resulting URI should be the one wanted:

http://jibbering.com/faq/notes/code-...s/#hostObjects
--
Garrett

Dr J R Stockton

In comp.lang.javascript message <hp9ebg$9dv$(E-Mail Removed)-
september.org>, Sat, 3 Apr 2010 23:15:56, Garrett Smith
<(E-Mail Removed)> posted:

>> FAQ Topic - What is a host object?

Needs two or three examples for browsers, and one or two for JScript in
WSH.

--
(c) John Stockton, nr London UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
Proper <= 4-line sig. separator as above, a line exactly "-- " (RFCs 5536/7)

Garrett Smith

Dr J R Stockton wrote:
> In comp.lang.javascript message <hp9ebg$9dv$(E-Mail Removed)-
> september.org>, Sat, 3 Apr 2010 23:15:56, Garrett Smith
> <(E-Mail Removed)> posted:
>
>>> FAQ Topic - What is a host object?

> Needs two or three examples for browsers, and one or two for JScript in
> WSH.

I've added a line on my local copy:
--
Garrett

Dr J R Stockton

In comp.lang.javascript message <hq51k0$94g$(E-Mail Removed)-
september.org>, Wed, 14 Apr 2010 11:30:22, Garrett Smith
<(E-Mail Removed)> posted:
>Dr J R Stockton wrote:
>> In comp.lang.javascript message <hp9ebg$9dv$(E-Mail Removed)-
>> september.org>, Sat, 3 Apr 2010 23:15:56, Garrett Smith
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> posted:

>> Needs two or three examples for browsers, and one or two for JScript
>>in
>> WSH.
>>

>I've added a line on my local copy:
>| Examples of some host objects: document, XMLHttpRequest, WScript.

AFAIK, WScript is not ordinarily a host object in a browser. The
examples need to include where each object is hosted.

--

<http://peter.michaux.ca/articles/feature-detection-state-of-the-art-browser-scripting>
--
Garrett

Dr J R Stockton

In comp.lang.javascript message <hq8dqi$6no$(E-Mail Removed)-
september.org>, Thu, 15 Apr 2010 18:17:02, Garrett Smith
<(E-Mail Removed)> posted:

>| For example, in a browser engine,`XMLHttpRequest` might be available,
>| with or without standard or proprietary features or events.

There should be examples for other hosts; WSH for one and preferably at
least one other.

--

Dr J R Stockton wrote:
> In comp.lang.javascript message <hq8dqi$6no$(E-Mail Removed)-
> september.org>, Thu, 15 Apr 2010 18:17:02, Garrett Smith
> <(E-Mail Removed)> posted:
>
>> | For example, in a browser engine,`XMLHttpRequest` might be available,
>> | with or without standard or proprietary features or events.
>> |

> There should be examples for other hosts; WSH for one and preferably at
> least one other.

This entry is to demystify objects in javascript.

Every time I see misconceptions about host objects on the NG, it has
involved browsers.

I would attribute this phenomenon to the plethora of badly written
scripts and widespread misinformation.

Having said that, it is fair to include another short example.

I considered mentioning Yahoo Widgets (Konfabulator) but I don't know
anything about those and the documentation is not trustworthy because it
is of poor quality and displays some misconceptions. For example:
"The outermost scope in the XML file is defined by the widget block."
<http://manual.widgets.yahoo.com/>

What "block"?

Added:
| Windows Script Host object model has the `WScript` object.

Any additional proposal to that?

I would add another myself, but I'm afraid that would exceed my
knowledge of other host environments -- I'm a browser guy.

Proposed text:

Garrett Smith wrote:
> Dr J R Stockton wrote:
>> In comp.lang.javascript message <hq8dqi$6no$(E-Mail Removed)-
>> september.org>, Thu, 15 Apr 2010 18:17:02, Garrett Smith
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> posted:

[...]

> Proposed text:

[...]