Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > ECMA-262-3 in detail. Chapter 1. Execution Contexts.

ECMA-262-3 in detail. Chapter 1. Execution Contexts.

Dmitry A. Soshnikov

Another one translation (I've decided to start from the beginning):
"ECMA-262-3 in detail. Chapter 1. Execution Contexts.":

http://dmitrysoshnikov.com/ecmascrip...tion-contexts/

everyone is welcome for English words corrections and technical
additions/corrections.

Dmitry.

Dr J R Stockton

In comp.lang.javascript message <977d3651-4f29-43de-a1c0-45d2bccee941@33
g2000yqj.googlegroups.com>, Thu, 11 Mar 2010 06:19:00, Dmitry A.
Soshnikov <(E-Mail Removed)> posted:
>Another one translation (I've decided to start from the beginning):
>"ECMA-262-3 in detail. Chapter 1. Execution Contexts.":
>
>http://dmitrysoshnikov.com/ecmascrip...tion-contexts/
>
>everyone is welcome for English words corrections and technical
>additions/corrections.

You write very small. When I Zoom the page in Chrome and in IE8 to make
the text a comfortable size, the contents are wider than my window -
even wider than my screen. Firefox Text-Only Zoom is OK.

You need to treat your present CSS by the Rodin method :
<http://augusterodin.com/>, beside "home" - reduce it to what is
essential.

Leave the font size as user's 100%. Don't force the reader to see lines
longer than about 70 characters, except where essential for code.

You need about 10% more instances of "a" & "the", for non-Russian
English!

Is Stalin's grave still where I saw it, of the order of
50 metres to Lenin's north? I have a photo of it.

--
(c) John Stockton, nr London, UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v6.05 IE 7.
I find MiniTrue useful for viewing/searching/altering files, at a DOS prompt;

Dmitry A. Soshnikov

On Mar 12, 10:49*pm, Dr J R Stockton <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> In comp.lang.javascript message <977d3651-4f29-43de-a1c0-45d2bccee941@33
> g2000yqj.googlegroups.com>, Thu, 11 Mar 2010 06:19:00, Dmitry A.
> Soshnikov <(E-Mail Removed)> posted:
>
> >Another one translation (I've decided to start from the beginning):
> >"ECMA-262-3 in detail. Chapter 1. Execution Contexts.":

> >http://dmitrysoshnikov.com/ecmascrip...tion-contexts/

> >everyone is welcome for English words corrections and technical
> >additions/corrections.

> You write very small. *When I Zoom the page in Chrome and in IE8 to make
> the text a comfortable size, the contents are wider than my window -
> even wider than my screen. *Firefox Text-Only Zoom is OK.
>
> You need to treat your present CSS by the Rodin method :
> <http://augusterodin.com/>, beside "home" - reduce it to what is
> essential.
>
> Leave the font size as user's 100%. *Don't force the reader to see lines
> longer than about 70 characters, except where essential for code.

Thanks, but is it really _very_ small? I use 12px for font-size, with
Verdana font, with 1.6em line-height in paragraphs. I think it's quite
normal view for nowadays sites. But with default font-size and with
default browser settings (12pt, about 16px) Verdana looks a bit ugly
imo, too big.

By the way, "Rodin method" - I see font-size less than used in my
blog. Maybe you have some special settings for you OS that default
font in browsers too small?

I'll think on it, but anyway there is always a zoom.

> You need about 10% more instances of "a" & "the", for non-Russian
> English!

Yeah, I know what "a" (some, abstract) and "the" (exact) mean, but
still there are mistakes or I forget to use them. And you find the
time and correct all this cases, I'd like to add you to section of
credits who helped with translation.

> * * * * * * * * Is Stalin's grave still where I saw it, of the order of
> * * * * * * * * 50 metres to Lenin's north? *I have a photo of it.

Haha =) Funny, but I didn't know myself where's the grave of Stalin,
just have read it. Yeah, it's near the Lenin's mausoleum. But I live
in Saint-Petersburg, not in Moscow. And by the way, do you know that
communism is already gone for a long time? Today here is democracy
and the president of Russia is Dmitry Medvedev (with help of ex-
president Vladimir Putin), but you of course know it, just kidding

Dmitry.

Dmitry A. Soshnikov

On Mar 14, 12:32*pm, "Dmitry A. Soshnikov"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> And you find the
> time and correct all this cases, I'd like to add you to section of
> credits who helped with translation.

Sorry, a typo: "And _if_ you find the time...". You can contact me via
mail for that as Stoyan Stefanov did and sent me several suggestions
and corrections of English words and sentences from "Chapter 3.
This.". Taking into account that you've already paid attentions to
this articles and suggested some corrections for "Chapter 6.
Closures.", I'll be glad to mention you in credits of current chapter
(and actually, any other if you correct all that even small mistakes
with "a" => "the" and other).

Dmitry.

Asen Bozhilov

Dmitry A. Soshnikov wrote:
> Dr J R Stockton

> > * * * * * * * * Is Stalin's grave still where I saw it,of the order of
> > * * * * * * * * 50 metres to Lenin's north? *I have aphoto of it.

> Haha =) Funny, but I didn't know myself where's the grave of Stalin,
> just have read it. Yeah, it's near the Lenin's mausoleum.

Stalin is killed so many people. He said:

"Death solves all problems - no man, no problem"

People like these don't need to have mausoleums and monuments. For
example during 2th world war Hitler, Stalin and the USA president
Harry S. Truman kill innocent people. The count of dead people from
2th world war is over: 73 000 000 people.

> And by the way, do you know that
> communism is already gone for a long time? Today here is democracy
> and the president of Russia is Dmitry Medvedev (with help of ex-
> president Vladimir Putin), but you of course know it, just kidding

Yes. The president Mikhail Gorbachev make democratic reforms in whole
east block during 80's. In Bulgaria communism down in 10 November
1989. One day after Berlin's wall down. But after communism, people
which are been statesman during communism, they are still in politics
with democratic signature

My post is total of topic. You can ignoring ;~)

Dmitry A. Soshnikov

On Mar 14, 4:41*pm, Asen Bozhilov <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Dmitry A. Soshnikov wrote:
> > Dr J R Stockton
> > > * * * * * * * * Is Stalin's grave still where I saw it, of the order of
> > > * * * * * * * * 50 metres to Lenin's north? *I havea photo of it.

> > Haha =) Funny, but I didn't know myself where's the grave of Stalin,
> > just have read it. Yeah, it's near the Lenin's mausoleum.

> Stalin is killed so many people. He said:
>
> "Death solves all problems - no man, no problem"
>
> People like these don't need to have mausoleums and monuments. For
> example during 2th world war Hitler, Stalin and the USA president
> Harry S. Truman kill innocent people. The count of dead people from
> 2th world war is over: 73 000 000 people.
>
> > And by the way, do you know that
> > communism is already gone for a long time? Today here is democracy
> > and the president of Russia is Dmitry Medvedev (with help of ex-
> > president Vladimir Putin), but you of course know it, just kidding

> Yes. The president Mikhail Gorbachev make democratic reforms in whole
> east block during 80's. In Bulgaria communism down in 10 November
> 1989. One day after Berlin's wall down. But after communism, people
> which are been statesman during communism, they are still in politics
> with democratic signature
>
> My post is total of topic. You can ignoring ;~)

Yeah, I know all this Asen, but suggest to avoid such discussion
(about politics) because of the main reason: the politics is a very
*dirty* business to discuss it operation with information from the TV
and similar information sources

Dmitry.

Jorge

On Mar 14, 2:41*pm, Asen Bozhilov <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (...) Hitler, Stalin and the USA president
> Harry S. Truman kill innocent people. (...)

Here's a rather odd recipe: "mix offenders and victims and shake
well". Only that this isn't a cocktail.
--
Jorge.

Dr J R Stockton

In comp.lang.javascript message <22eff405-5515-4858-8724-b2727da4e28e@g4
g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>, Sun, 14 Mar 2010 01:32:22, Dmitry A.
Soshnikov <(E-Mail Removed)> posted:
>On Mar 12, 10:49*pm, Dr J R Stockton <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:

>> Leave the font size as user's 100%. *Don't force the reader to see lines
>> longer than about 70 characters, except where essential for code.
>>

>Thanks, but is it really _very_ small? I use 12px for font-size, with
>Verdana font, with 1.6em line-height in paragraphs. I think it's quite
>normal view for nowadays sites. But with default font-size and with
>default browser settings (12pt, about 16px) Verdana looks a bit ugly
>imo, too big.

Verdana is a bad choice. It is big for its point-size, so those who do
not have Verdana will see smaller text.

>By the way, "Rodin method" - I see font-size less than used in my
>blog. Maybe you have some special settings for you OS that default
>font in browsers too small?

No; my default setting is 16-pt.
Remember - on the Web, the majority will almost always be wrong.
An informative site should be designed to work with the reader's
preferences.

>> * * * * * * * * Is Stalin's grave still where I saw it, of the order of
>> * * * * * * * * 50 metres to Lenin's north? *I have a photo of it.
>>

>Haha =) Funny, but I didn't know myself where's the grave of Stalin,
>just have read it. Yeah, it's near the Lenin's mausoleum. But I live
>in Saint-Petersburg, not in Moscow.

I also went to Leningrad.
(1) The airport runway was very uneven, and the plane taxied
rapidly - perhaps to reduce the load on its wheels?
(2) Moscow electricity was 110 volts, and Leningrad was 220
volts (I had to set my shaver accordingly. Moscow had nice tube
trains; so did Leningrad, but they seemed to go twice as fast.
Coincidence?

In comp.lang.javascript message <2e7b3579-0a30-4529-8650-b1f5a62
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)>, Sun, 14 Mar 2010 06:41:04,
Asen Bozhilov <(E-Mail Removed)> posted:
> One day after Berlin's wall down.

I have a piece of it here.

Proper <= 4-line sig. separator as above, a line exactly "-- " (RFCs 5536/7)
Do not Mail News to me. Before a reply, quote with ">" or "> " (RFCs 5536/7)

Dmitry A. Soshnikov

On Mar 15, 6:50*pm, Dr J R Stockton <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> In comp.lang.javascript message <22eff405-5515-4858-8724-b2727da4e28e@g4
> g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>, Sun, 14 Mar 2010 01:32:22, Dmitry A.
> Soshnikov <(E-Mail Removed)> posted:
>
> >On Mar 12, 10:49 pm, Dr J R Stockton <(E-Mail Removed)>
> >wrote:
> >> Leave the font size as user's 100%. Don't force the reader to see lines
> >> longer than about 70 characters, except where essential for code.

> >Thanks, but is it really _very_ small? I use 12px for font-size, with
> >Verdana font, with 1.6em line-height in paragraphs. I think it's quite
> >normal view for nowadays sites. But with default font-size and with
> >default browser settings (12pt, about 16px) Verdana looks a bit ugly
> >imo, too big.

> Verdana is a bad choice. *It is big for its point-size, so those who do
> not have Verdana will see smaller text.
>
> >By the way, "Rodin method" - I see font-size less than used in my
> >blog. Maybe you have some special settings for you OS that default
> >font in browsers too small?

> No; my default setting is 16-pt.
> Remember - on the Web, the majority will almost always be wrong.
> An informative site should be designed to work with the reader's
> preferences.

Ok, I think on it and ready to hear some suggestions about the best
font and size for nowadays web'log. I agree that 100% of user's font
is the best solution for the size, but having this I'd like to see a
nice font which won't look too big or too small, or just ugly in any
size.

> >> Is Stalin's grave still where I saw it, of the order of
> >> 50 metres to Lenin's north? I have a photo of it.

> >Haha =) Funny, but I didn't know myself where's the grave of Stalin,
> >just have read it. Yeah, it's near the Lenin's mausoleum. But I live
> >in Saint-Petersburg, not in Moscow.

> * * * * I also went to Leningrad.
> * * * * (1) The airport runway was very uneven, and the plane taxied
> * * * * rapidly - perhaps to reduce the load on its wheels?

=) Don't know, maybe. I think it depends on every single fly.

> * * * * (2) Moscow electricity was 110 volts, and Leningrad was 220
> * * * * volts (I had to set my shaver accordingly.

Hm, strange to hear. In Russia should be 220 volts everywhere. Maybe
you was in some special hotel for foreign tourists where rooms where
equipped with 110 volts sockets? Yeah, in SPb (Saint-Petersburg
(current "slang" name is Pieter), old name is Leningrad) we have 220
volts for that. Go ahead, you are welcome to test again

> Moscow had nice tube
> * * * * trains; so did Leningrad, but they seemed to go twice as fast.
> * * * * Coincidence?

The last time I was in Moscow is about 5 years ago, so I don't
remember the speed of the subway trains, but yeah, on some stations
SPb's tube trains go fast. Maybe because of the river above, don't
know. And in SPb subway is deeper than in Moscow, again because of
water above. From the other hand, there are also stations when train
reduces the speed and I think also because of water above, if the way
between the stations are long. Don't know, truly speaking, how all
this system works. But what I know that subway in Russia (at least in
Moscow and SPb) is more nice looking than e.g. in NY (have never been
in New York, just have heard).

That's a funny off-topic by the way

> * * * * In comp.lang.javascript message <2e7b3579-0a30-4529-8650-b1f5a62
> * * * * (E-Mail Removed)>, Sun, 14 Mar 2010 06:41:04,
> * * * * Asen Bozhilov <(E-Mail Removed)> posted:
> * * * * > One day after Berlin's wall down.
>
> * * * * I have a piece of it here.

I saw one interesting film about it "The Lives of Others" ("Das Leben
der Anderen"). And by the truth, I really don't like that politics
system/mode which was in Russia and Germany that time (but, I was too
young that time and didn't think about it ).

Dmitry.

Dr J R Stockton

In comp.lang.javascript message <80b26777-23f1-4b21-9ef5-508708d7553c@g1
9g2000yqe.googlegroups.com>, Tue, 16 Mar 2010 02:36:26, Dmitry A.
Soshnikov <(E-Mail Removed)> posted:
>On Mar 15, 6:50*pm, Dr J R Stockton <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:

>Ok, I think on it and ready to hear some suggestions about the best
>font and size for nowadays web'log. I agree that 100% of user's font
>is the best solution for the size, but having this I'd like to see a
>nice font which won't look too big or too small, or just ugly in any
>size.

For that, you set the defaults of your own browsers to a nice font,
chosen from those that are typical in respect of metrics etc., and to a
nice size.

>> * * * * (2) Moscow electricity was 110 volts, and Leningrad was 220
>> * * * * volts (I had to set my shaver accordingly.

>Hm, strange to hear. In Russia should be 220 volts everywhere. Maybe
>you was in some special hotel for foreign tourists where rooms where
>equipped with 110 volts sockets?

It was the Hotel Ukraine in Kutuzovsky Prospekt, by the river; a big
conference-grade hotel. Google Maps knows it, but for "Hotel Ukraine,
Moscow" Bing offered Moscow, East Ayrshire (Scotland).

>Yeah, in SPb (Saint-Petersburg
>(current "slang" name is Pieter), old name is Leningrad) we have 220
>volts for that. Go ahead, you are welcome to test again

I don't recall where we stayed there - one of Intourist's cheaper
offerings.