Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > HTML5 Audio - How To Play Shoutcast streams

HTML5 Audio - How To Play Shoutcast streams

lukas

Hello,

I have a problem with the HTML5-Audio-Tag.
While it plays mp3 files without a problem, I cannot get it to play
shoutcast streams.

Consider this URL: http://89.149.227.111:8050

For my VLC-Player this is a music stream. However, for the browser its
a HTML-Page showing some info about the stream.

Does anyone have an idea how to get the audio into the browser?
Perhaps by opening some sort of JavaScript-Stream object?

My aim is to build a streaming html5 audio player without using Flash.

Regards
Lukas.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

lukas wrote:

> I have a problem with the HTML5-Audio-Tag.

Probably you mean the `audio' element specified in the current HTML 5
_Working Draft_.

> While it plays mp3 files without a problem, I cannot get it to play
> shoutcast streams.
>
> Consider this URL: http://89.149.227.111:8050

$ telnet 89.149.227.111 8050
Trying 89.149.227.111...
Connected to 89.149.227.111.
Escape character is '^]'.
HEAD / HTTP/1.0
Connection closed by foreign host.

$ telnet 89.149.227.111 8050
Trying 89.149.227.111...
Connected to 89.149.227.111.
Escape character is '^]'.
HEAD / HTTP/1.1
Connection closed by foreign host.

> For my VLC-Player this is a music stream. However, for the browser its
> a HTML-Page showing some info about the stream.

Really?

> Does anyone have an idea how to get the audio into the browser?

Probably. But this is off-topic here.

> Perhaps by opening some sort of JavaScript-Stream object?

Perhaps not.

> My aim is to build a streaming html5 audio player without using Flash.

RTFM, STFW.

PointedEars
will want to steal it.)