Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > JavaScript or JScript on Server-Side?

JavaScript or JScript on Server-Side?

vunet

Sorry for this generic question and I have read the differences of
JavaScript and JScript on server side, however, I want to hear what
experts think about what to choose when programming ASP pages in one
of these two options.
I understand it may have to do with what the needs are. But let's say
I want to build a basic web application with database connectivity,
file system management, and a little bit of OOP for setting things up,
etc.
Though both will work for these needs but there has to be a statement
why this may be better than that...
Will all Microsoft servers by default support any of these languages
if I, say, want to distribute my application to various customers?
Thank you.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

vunet wrote:

> Sorry for this generic question

There is no question.

> and I have read the differences of JavaScript and JScript on server
> side, however, I want to hear what experts think about what to choose
> when programming ASP pages in one of these two options.

AFAIK there is no choice with ASP (.NET). It only supports JScript (.NET)
as ECMAScript implementation.

> I understand it may have to do with what the needs are. But let's say
> I want to build a basic web application with database connectivity,
> file system management, and a little bit of OOP for setting things up,
> etc.

I would be surprised if any of these requirements has anything to do with
the choice of the programming language. It is the server-side environment
that needs to provide the API instead.

> Will all Microsoft servers by default support any of these languages

Internet Information Server/Services with ASP (.NET) extensions supports
JScript (.NET). Netscape Enterprise Server-compatible Web servers support
Server-side JavaScript.

> if I, say, want to distribute my application to various customers?

Are your customers Web developers who want to use a server-side script
library written by you?

PointedEars
-- Richard Cornford, cljs, <cife6q$253$1$(E-Mail Removed)> (2004)

vunet

> > Will all Microsoft servers by default support any of these languages
>
> Internet Information Server/Services with ASP (.NET) extensions supports
> JScript (.NET). *Netscape Enterprise Server-compatible Web servers support
> Server-side JavaScript.

Are you saying additional component installation needs to happen to
support server-side JavaScript?

> Are your customers Web developers who want to use a server-side script
> library written by you?

No, my customers may be uneducated users who know nothing about
technology.