Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > Static Class Variables and IE8 Loosely Couple Internet Explorer (LCIE)

Static Class Variables and IE8 Loosely Couple Internet Explorer (LCIE)

Richard Maher

Hi,

In case any other JAVA people get bitten by IE8's LCIE "We have to do tabs
in separate processes 'cos we keep crashing all the time" below is a work
around I just found on the net. (If anyone could possibly influence
Microsoft to make it a User-Configurable preference and not just a registry
entry then that'd be great too): -

To the LCIE functionality of Internet Explorer 8, do the following:

Click Start, then Run
Type the following in the run prompt:
regedit

Click OK
Navigate to the following location:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main

Right-click on Main, select New, and click on DWORD Value
Type the following for the name:
TabProcGrowth

NOTE: Creating this key as a DWORD Value automatically sets the value to 0.
This is the value we want set so no further action is needed.

Personally, I set the value to 1 after reading the following links: -

http://blogs.msdn.com/askie/archive/...commentmessage

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/0...umber-of-tabs/

Cheers Richard Maher

Arne Vajh°j

On 09-01-2010 04:17, Richard Maher wrote:
> In case any other JAVA people get bitten by IE8's LCIE "We have to do tabs
> in separate processes 'cos we keep crashing all the time" below is a work
> around I just found on the net. (If anyone could possibly influence
> Microsoft to make it a User-Configurable preference and not just a registry
> entry then that'd be great too): -
>
> To the LCIE functionality of Internet Explorer 8, do the following:
>
> Click Start, then Run
> Type the following in the run prompt:
> regedit
>
> Click OK
> Navigate to the following location:
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main
>
> Right-click on Main, select New, and click on DWORD Value
> Type the following for the name:
> TabProcGrowth
>
> NOTE: Creating this key as a DWORD Value automatically sets the value to 0.
> This is the value we want set so no further action is needed.

> Personally, I set the value to 1 after reading the following links: -
>
> http://blogs.msdn.com/askie/archive/...commentmessage
>
> http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/0...umber-of-tabs/

Chrome also use multiple processes.

In my opinion a well coded applet does not make assumptions about how
the browser invokes JVM's.

Arne

Richard Maher

Hi Arne,

"Arne Vajh°j" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4b492b8e$0$269$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 09-01-2010 04:17, Richard Maher wrote:
> > In case any other JAVA people get bitten by IE8's LCIE "We have to do

tabs
> > in separate processes 'cos we keep crashing all the time" below is a

work
> > around I just found on the net. (If anyone could possibly influence
> > Microsoft to make it a User-Configurable preference and not just a

registry
> > entry then that'd be great too): -
> >
> > To the LCIE functionality of Internet Explorer 8, do the following:
> >
> > Click Start, then Run
> > Type the following in the run prompt:
> > regedit
> >
> > Click OK
> > Navigate to the following location:
> > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main
> >
> > Right-click on Main, select New, and click on DWORD Value
> > Type the following for the name:
> > TabProcGrowth
> >
> > NOTE: Creating this key as a DWORD Value automatically sets the value to

0.
> > This is the value we want set so no further action is needed.

> > Personally, I set the value to 1 after reading the following links: -

http://blogs.msdn.com/askie/archive/...commentmessage

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/0...umber-of-tabs/

> Chrome also use multiple processes.

Yes, I count three per browser instance but certainly not 1:tab but still
one "matching" JVM. Chrome also has thread-synchronization peculiarities but
i guess "well coded Applets don't make assumptions about how the browser
invokes Thread's" either? Or perhaps from which direction the Sun will rise?

I'm curious to know what you think a well designed Browser should do.
(Especially when discussing IE8, and such issues as compatibility mode, and
how someone who was so far behind in introducing TAB functionality can balls
it up completely. Gotta love thos colour-coded tab-groupings though

> In my opinion a well coded applet does not make assumptions about how
> the browser invokes JVM's.

Well we're all entitled to those, although I'm less inclined to exercise my
full entitlement on such a regular basis

> Arne

Cheers Richard Maher

Joshua Cranmer

On 01/09/2010 09:30 PM, Richard Maher wrote:
> Yes, I count three per browser instance but certainly not 1:tab but still
> one "matching" JVM. Chrome also has thread-synchronization peculiarities but
> i guess "well coded Applets don't make assumptions about how the browser
> invokes Thread's" either? Or perhaps from which direction the Sun will rise?

IIRC, the current Mozilla multiprocess work only makes one process per
plugin, even if the plugin is invoked from different page processes
(mostly a result of Flash having major problems if you try to invoke it
multiple times).

> I'm curious to know what you think a well designed Browser should do.

I'm not entirely up-to-date on what exactly happens with applet
invocation, but Mozilla's current approach strikes me as working best.
At least for the moment.

tried it. -- Donald E. Knuth

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Arne Vajh├Şj wrote:

> On 09-01-2010 04:17, Richard Maher wrote:
>> [off-topic]

Java != JavaScript

F'up2 clj.programmer

PointedEars