Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > Workaround for IE6 select width cut off options' width

Workaround for IE6 select width cut off options' width

SamuelXiao

Hi all,
I have been searching google for hours but still cannot get a
workaround to suit my application. What I want to do is to make the
select's behavior looks like FF. http://css-tricks.com/select-cuts-of...ons-in-ie-fix/
has a good example but I am not allowed to use JQuery and even I tried
the example, the select box will automactically widen when onmouseover/
onfocus. Is there any way to make it looks like FF? The select
element's width can be separated/different from options' width?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

SamuelXiao wrote:

> I have been searching google for hours but still cannot get a
> workaround to suit my application. What I want to do is to make the
> select's behavior looks like FF.
> http://css-tricks.com/select-cuts-of...ons-in-ie-fix/ has a good
> example but I am not allowed to use JQuery and even I tried the example,
> the select box will automactically widen when onmouseover/
> onfocus. Is there any way to make it looks like FF? The select
> element's width can be separated/different from options' width?

First of all, you need to understand that jQuery is _not_ some book of magic
that, when its spells are cast, lets you do something that could not be done
otherwise. *Everything* that can be done with jQuery can be done without
jQuery, and, considering the error-prone, inefficient code of jQuery, it can
*always* be done better then. In short: jQuery is JUNK. DO NOT USE.
(Shoot on sight )

So you only need to implement what is described "In plain English" there.

HTH

PointedEars, clicking away yet another warning message saying "A script on
this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. ... Script:
http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.3.2/jquery.min.js:12" in the
Zattoo Web player (in Iceweasel 3.5.6).
-- Richard Cornford, cljs, <cife6q$253$1$(E-Mail Removed)> (2004)

David Mark

On Jan 5, 12:33*pm, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> SamuelXiao wrote:
> > I have been searching google for hours but still cannot get a
> > workaround to suit my application. *What I want to do is to make the
> > select's behavior looks like FF.
> >http://css-tricks.com/select-cuts-of...-in-ie-fix/has a good
> > example but I am not allowed to use JQuery and even I tried the example,
> > the select box will automactically widen when onmouseover/
> > onfocus. *Is there any way to make it looks like FF? *The select
> > element's width can be separated/different from options' width?

> First of all, you need to understand that jQuery is _not_ some book of magic
> that, when its spells are cast, lets you do something that could not be done
> otherwise. **Everything* that can be done with jQuery can be done without
> jQuery, and, considering the error-prone, inefficient code of jQuery, it can
> *always* be done better then. *In short: jQuery is JUNK. *DO NOT USE.*
> (Shoot on sight )

All targets are now free.

SamuelXiao

On Jan 6, 1:33*am, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> SamuelXiao wrote:
> > I have been searching google for hours but still cannot get a
> > workaround to suit my application. *What I want to do is to make the
> > select's behavior looks like FF.
> >http://css-tricks.com/select-cuts-of...-in-ie-fix/has a good
> > example but I am not allowed to use JQuery and even I tried the example,
> > the select box will automactically widen when onmouseover/
> > onfocus. *Is there any way to make it looks like FF? *The select
> > element's width can be separated/different from options' width?

> First of all, you need to understand that jQuery is _not_ some book of magic
> that, when its spells are cast, lets you do something that could not be done
> otherwise. **Everything* that can be done with jQuery can be done without
> jQuery, and, considering the error-prone, inefficient code of jQuery, it can
> *always* be done better then. *In short: jQuery is JUNK. *DO NOT USE.*
> (Shoot on sight )
>
> So you only need to implement what is described "In plain English" there.
>
> HTH
>
> PointedEars, clicking away yet another warning message saying "A script on
> this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. ... Script:http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.3.2/jquery.min.js:12" in the
> Zattoo Web player (in Iceweasel 3.5.6).
> --
> Danny Goodman's books are out of date and teach practices that are
> positively harmful for cross-browser scripting.
> *-- Richard Cornford, cljs, <cife6q$253$1$(E-Mail Removed)> (2004)

Actually, I want to make it looks like FF which the width of <select>
can be separated from width of <option>, but the example provided
doesn't work exactly like that. Anyway, I use the plain English to
write the code, now a workaround has been done. Thanks all!

David Mark

SamuelXiao wrote:
> On Jan 6, 1:33 am, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>> SamuelXiao wrote:
>>> I have been searching google for hours but still cannot get a
>>> workaround to suit my application. What I want to do is to make the
>>> select's behavior looks like FF.
>>> http://css-tricks.com/select-cuts-of...-in-ie-fix/has a good
>>> example but I am not allowed to use JQuery and even I tried the example,
>>> the select box will automactically widen when onmouseover/
>>> onfocus. Is there any way to make it looks like FF? The select
>>> element's width can be separated/different from options' width?

>> First of all, you need to understand that jQuery is _not_ some book of magic
>> that, when its spells are cast, lets you do something that could not be done
>> otherwise. *Everything* that can be done with jQuery can be done without
>> jQuery, and, considering the error-prone, inefficient code of jQuery, it can
>> *always* be done better then. In short: jQuery is JUNK. DO NOT USE.
>> (Shoot on sight )
>>
>> So you only need to implement what is described "In plain English" there.
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> PointedEars, clicking away yet another warning message saying "A script on
>> this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. ... Script:http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.3.2/jquery..min.js:12" in the
>> Zattoo Web player (in Iceweasel 3.5.6).

LOL. Ain't that the kiss of death. And using Google hosting too.
Somebody has some splaining to do.

[...]

> Actually, I want to make it looks like FF which the width of <select>
> can be separated from width of <option>, but the example provided
> doesn't work exactly like that. Anyway, I use the plain English to
> write the code, now a workaround has been done. Thanks all!

Congratulations on _not_ using jQuery.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

SamuelXiao wrote:

> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
>> SamuelXiao wrote:
>> > I have been searching google for hours but still cannot get a
>> > workaround to suit my application. What I want to do is to make the
>> > select's behavior looks like FF.7
>> > [http://css-tricks.com/select-cuts-of...-fix/hasagood]
>> > [...] Is there any way to make it looks like FF? The select
>> > element's width can be separated/different from options' width?

>> [...] you only need to implement what is described "In plain English"
>> there.
>> [...]

> Actually, I want to make it looks like FF which the width of <select>
> can be separated from width of <option>, but the example provided
> doesn't work exactly like that.

This cannot be done except if you forego all attempts to adhere to
usability/accessibility guides and legislation, and design your own
control. (Don't.)

> Anyway, I use the plain English to write the code, now a workaround has
> been done.

You may post the relevant parts or (if longer) its URL here so that others
can benefit and recommendations for improvement can be made.

However, as it may not be obvious to you: If you would not set the control
width in the first place, you would not need to apply a workaround for the
borken MSHTML rendering.

> Thanks all!

You are welcome.

Please trim your quotes to the relevant minimum next time. See above and
below how it can be done.

<http://jibbering.com/faq/#posting>

PointedEars
--