Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Question about offline reading

Question about offline reading

Tom Accuosti

I just installed TB .8, and was confused by something: I was on line
and had read some Usenet messages. After I disconnected, I tried to
read the messages again so I could reply, and I got the "The body of
this message has not been downloaded from the server for off line
reading..."

I was pretty sure that reading while on line would d/load and save the
message body (I'm pretty sure that's how Mozz works). I see a menu
option for off line reading, but I thought it was for dd/loading all
bodies (similar to OE's Sync All option). Does that need to be enabled
in order to keep the message bodies?

Also, what if I just want to dial up, d/load the headers and then mark
which messages from various NGs that I want to keep? Can this be done
easily? I'm trying to make the switch from OE to Mozz or TB as easy as
possible. <g>

Thanks

xaos

Tom Accuosti wrote:
> I just installed TB .8, and was confused by something: I was on line and
> had read some Usenet messages. After I disconnected, I tried to read the
> messages again so I could reply, and I got the "The body of this message
> has not been downloaded from the server for off line reading..."
>
> I was pretty sure that reading while on line would d/load and save the
> message body (I'm pretty sure that's how Mozz works). I see a menu
> option for off line reading, but I thought it was for dd/loading all
> bodies (similar to OE's Sync All option). Does that need to be enabled
> in order to keep the message bodies?
>
> Also, what if I just want to dial up, d/load the headers and then mark
> which messages from various NGs that I want to keep? Can this be done
> easily? I'm trying to make the switch from OE to Mozz or TB as easy as
> possible. <g>
>
> Thanks

Welcome to the Mozilla experience.
mozilla.org web tools are deeply cutomizable and have a very rich set of
features.

In Mozilla (may be different in tb it's been a while since I used tb)
go to the newsgroup account settings and look for Offline and Disk
Space panels.

edit - mail & newsgps - <newsgroup account> - Offline and Disk Space

the Off Line panel lets you select entire newsgroups to dl for off line use.
The disk space panel has some automatic space saving features that you
may want to enable such as save all -delete after x days ... . If you
don't select save all, you can permanently save a post by dragging it
into a local folder or saving as ...

I mark the posts of interest and drag them into local folders subfolder.

you can flag or label messages, then position the messages or control
the view to show only flagged or appropriately labeled messages and
manipulate them as a group.
You can use the message filters tools to move messages you've labeled
or flagged.

Hope this helps you to enjoy mozilla.

~Steve~

Leonidas Jones

xaos wrote:
> Tom Accuosti wrote:
>
>> I just installed TB .8, and was confused by something: I was on line
>> and had read some Usenet messages. After I disconnected, I tried to
>> read the messages again so I could reply, and I got the "The body of
>> this message has not been downloaded from the server for off line
>> reading..."
>>
>> I was pretty sure that reading while on line would d/load and save the
>> message body (I'm pretty sure that's how Mozz works). I see a menu
>> option for off line reading, but I thought it was for dd/loading all
>> bodies (similar to OE's Sync All option). Does that need to be enabled
>> in order to keep the message bodies?
>>
>> Also, what if I just want to dial up, d/load the headers and then mark
>> which messages from various NGs that I want to keep? Can this be done
>> easily? I'm trying to make the switch from OE to Mozz or TB as easy as
>> possible. <g>
>>
>> Thanks

> Welcome to the Mozilla experience.
> mozilla.org web tools are deeply cutomizable and have a very rich set of
> features.
>
> In Mozilla (may be different in tb it's been a while since I used tb)
> go to the newsgroup account settings and look for Offline and Disk
> Space panels.
>
> edit - mail & newsgps - <newsgroup account> - Offline and Disk Space
>
> the Off Line panel lets you select entire newsgroups to dl for off line
> use.
> The disk space panel has some automatic space saving features that you
> may want to enable such as save all -delete after x days ... . If you
> don't select save all, you can permanently save a post by dragging it
> into a local folder or saving as ...
>
> I mark the posts of interest and drag them into local folders subfolder.
>
> you can flag or label messages, then position the messages or control
> the view to show only flagged or appropriately labeled messages and
> manipulate them as a group.
> You can use the message filters tools to move messages you've
> labeled or flagged.
>
> Hope this helps you to enjoy mozilla.
>
> ~Steve~

TB does not have offline capability unless the Offline extension is
installed. In new releases, 0.8 included, it can be installed when
installing the program Select a custom install, and make sure Offline
is checked.

Lee

Tom Accuosti

"Leonidas Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:yMm6d.644031$(E-Mail Removed)
| xaos wrote:
| | Tom Accuosti wrote:
| |
| | | I just installed TB .8, and was confused by something: I was on
| | | line and had read some Usenet messages. After I disconnected, I
| | | tried to read the messages again so I could reply, and I got the
| | | "The body of this message has not been downloaded from the server
| | | for off line reading..."
| | |
| | | I was pretty sure that reading while on line would d/load and
| | | save the message body (I'm pretty sure that's how Mozz works). I
| | | see a menu option for off line reading, but I thought it was for
| | | dd/loading all bodies (similar to OE's Sync All option). Does
| | | that need to be enabled in order to keep the message bodies?
| | |
| | | Also, what if I just want to dial up, d/load the headers and then
| | | mark which messages from various NGs that I want to keep? Can
| | | this be done easily? I'm trying to make the switch from OE to
| | | Mozz or TB as easy as possible. <g>
| | |
| | | Thanks
| |
| |
| | Welcome to the Mozilla experience.
| | mozilla.org web tools are deeply cutomizable and have a very rich
| | set of features.
| |
| | In Mozilla (may be different in tb it's been a while since I used
| | tb) go to the newsgroup account settings and look for Offline
| | and Disk Space panels.
| |
| | edit - mail & newsgps - <newsgroup account> - Offline and Disk Space
| |
| | the Off Line panel lets you select entire newsgroups to dl for off
| | line use.
| | The disk space panel has some automatic space saving features that
| | you may want to enable such as save all -delete after x days ... .
| | If you don't select save all, you can permanently save a post by
| | dragging it into a local folder or saving as ...
| |
| | I mark the posts of interest and drag them into local folders
| | subfolder.
| |
| | you can flag or label messages, then position the messages or
| | control the view to show only flagged or appropriately labeled
| | messages and manipulate them as a group.
| | You can use the message filters tools to move messages you've
| | labeled or flagged.
| |
| | Hope this helps you to enjoy mozilla.
| |
| | ~Steve~
| |

| TB does not have offline capability unless the Offline extension is
| installed. In new releases, 0.8 included, it can be installed when
| installing the program Select a custom install, and make sure Offline
| is checked.

Doh! Cool, thanks! I'll give it another try.

Tom

where to download the offline-reading JAVA API spec ? Ahan Hsieh Java 1 10-08-2007 02:19 PM
Offline reading in Firefox Kev Firefox 3 04-20-2005 01:02 AM
Open in Tab & Offline reading Tony Raven Firefox 0 07-03-2004 07:06 AM
Re: How to save web pages for offline reading? Anand Pillai Python 2 08-20-2003 02:19 AM
Re: How to save web pages for offline reading? Paul Rudin Python 1 07-23-2003 12:04 AM

Advertisments