Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > Changing text size on different browsers from Javascript

Changing text size on different browsers from Javascript

SAM

Le 11/11/09 5:12 PM, Aaron Gray a écrit :
> "Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> [...]
>>> What I want is something that changes the browsers "Text Size" in the
>>> browsers menu.

>> "the browsers 'Text Size' in the browsers menu"?
>>
>>> I dont want to iterate throught the document or anything like that.

>> RTFM.

> Which manual, please ?

This of the browser ?

If you want to change something in the menu(s) of a browser, I think you
can't (at least by JS).
And how do you expect to change the menus of this pecific browser which
has not the same menus (or not at the same places) on Windows and on Mac ?
Then, what about that other browser which has not same menus than the
first one ?

--
sm

Aaron Gray

"SAM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4afb0fc4$0$962$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Le 11/11/09 5:12 PM, Aaron Gray a écrit :
>> "Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> "the browsers 'Text Size' in the browsers menu"?

>>> RTFM.

>> Which manual, please ?

> This of the browser ?
>
> If you want to change something in the menu(s) of a browser, I think you
> can't (at least by JS).
> And how do you expect to change the menus of this pecific browser which
> has not the same menus (or not at the same places) on Windows and on Mac ?
> Then, what about that other browser which has not same menus than the
> first one ?

IIRC you can change the zoom level on IE from JS, I presumed you could
change the text size too.

Aaron

SAM

Le 11/11/09 9:12 PM, Aaron Gray a écrit :
> "SAM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4afb0fc4$0$962$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> If you want to change something in the menu(s) of a browser, I think you
>> can't (at least by JS).
>> And how do you expect to change the menus of this pecific browser which
>> has not the same menus (or not at the same places) on Windows and on Mac ?
>> Then, what about that other browser which has not same menus than the
>> first one ?

> IIRC you can change the zoom level on IE from JS,

Don't know ... never tried.
(it's a stupidity to want to zoom instead of the user)

> I presumed you could change the text size too.

but not the browser's menu to do it

By the way, in most browsers the user can fix the minimal size of the
usual fonts, so you can't reduce the text less that(those) size(s)...

On the other hand I do not see how we can increase size of text (must
increase texts in H1, H2 ... Hn, P, probably DIV, all relatively to
their own origines, natural or set by css) in a web page, even using its
own JS buttons.

Maybe a function could "zoom" the page but, in Firefox for instance, the
user can separate zoom on text and on images or group both.

document.body.style.zoom
does nothing in my Firefox, Safari, Opera, iCab, Camino.

--
sm

Dr J R Stockton

In comp.lang.javascript message <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Wed, 11 Nov 2009 13:34:32, Aaron Gray <(E-Mail Removed)> posted:

>I want to change text sizes in Drupal, the existing modules for this don't
>seem to work.
>
>Basically for font-size'es xx-small, x-small, small, medium, large, x-large,
>xx-large, is there a javascript variable that will allow me to increase or
>decrease these sizes ?
>
>It maybe different on different browsers ?

Firstly, you will need to learn to ignore those who post articles merely
to inflate their own egos.

A well-written Web page almost never sets absolute text sizes, only ones
relative to the default setting of the browser. Some such do exist.

Look at <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/js-tests.htm>, in particular
(but not only) Body Font Tests. It might show what you need.

(c) John Stockton, nr London UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk IE7 FF3 Op9 Sf3