Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > How widely used are the JavaScript "import" and "export" statements?

How widely used are the JavaScript "import" and "export" statements?

David Karr

I was reviewing an introductory JavaScript manuscript today, and I
noticed a reference to the "import" and "export" statements, which I
had never even noticed before. I see that they are not supported in
IE, and not in ECMAScript, either. Has anyone ever used these
statements for anything useful?

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

David Karr wrote:
> I was reviewing an introductory JavaScript manuscript today, and I
> noticed a reference to the "import" and "export" statements, which I
> had never even noticed before. I see that they are not supported in
> IE, and not in ECMAScript, either. Has anyone ever used these
> statements for anything useful?

There are no such statements.

PointedEars
--
realism: HTML 4.01 Strict
evangelism: XHTML 1.0 Strict

David Karr

On Aug 2, 12:11*pm, Jonathan Fine <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> David Karr wrote:
> > I was reviewing an introductory JavaScript manuscript today, and I
> > noticed a reference to the "import" and "export" statements, which I
> > had never even noticed before. *I see that they are not supported in
> > IE, and not in ECMAScript, either. *Has anyone ever used these
> > statements for anything useful?

> JavaScript has a large number of reserved words, most of which are
> unused. *The words 'import' and 'export' are in this list.

The following page in the Mozilla DevCenter documents it: <https://
developer.mozilla.org/en/Core_JavaScript_1.5_Reference/Statements/
import>.

I also found it mentioned here: <http://www.devguru.com/Technologies/
Ecmascript/Quickref/import.html> . This page is odd, as it claims to
document EMCA-262, but other pages say it's not in ECMAScript.
Perhaps it was present at one time, and was removed?

It's also mentioned here: <http://docs.sun.com/source/816-6408-10/
stmt.htm>.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

David Karr wrote:
> On Aug 2, 12:11 pm, Jonathan Fine <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> David Karr wrote:
>>> I was reviewing an introductory JavaScript manuscript today, and I
>>> noticed a reference to the "import" and "export" statements, which I
>>> had never even noticed before. I see that they are not supported in
>>> IE, and not in ECMAScript, either. Has anyone ever used these
>>> statements for anything useful?

>> JavaScript has a large number of reserved words, most of which are
>> unused. The words 'import' and 'export' are in this list.

> The following page in the Mozilla DevCenter documents it: <https://
> developer.mozilla.org/en/Core_JavaScript_1.5_Reference/Statements/
> import>.

Interesting; the Matrix has you. However, as you observe, the import/export
feature is related to signed scripts only. That is probably the reason why
they are so seldom used.

> I also found it mentioned here: <http://www.devguru.com/Technologies/
> Ecmascript/Quickref/import.html> . This page is odd, as it claims to
> document EMCA-262, but other pages say it's not in ECMAScript.
> Perhaps it was present at one time, and was removed?

It has never been part of any edition of _ECMA_-262. One of many mistakes
there (since when is \\ an operator?). Remove that bookmark.

> It's also mentioned here: <http://docs.sun.com/source/816-6408-10/
> stmt.htm>.

ACK

PointedEars