Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > Left margin off-screen in IE7 js-date2

Left margin off-screen in IE7 js-date2

Paul E. Schoen

I noticed that a portion of the page
http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/js-date2.htm has the text shifted to the left
so that it is several characters off-screen. It does this in IE7 but not in
Firefox. I looked at the HTML and could not find any clue, except that it
might be caused by an external function. The problem starts with:

<H2><a name="SD">A Simple Delay</a></H2>

and then the proper left margin is restored at:

<H3><a name="AC">A Converter</a></H3>

but after clicking on the Delay control the left margin was offset for the
rest of the document. When I went to the framed index and returned, the
left margin was restored as of

write('<\/i>Believe it if you like.\n',

I saw the form generated by "ShoFFF(DoItSoon)" shift to the right when I
clicked on it.

A refresh of the page finally seemed to fix it. And then when I clicked on
the URL for another reload, the problem recurred, and multiple refreshes
did not fix it. I closed IE7 and restarted with similar results.

I'm assuming it's some sort of anomaly in my system, but I'm just trying to
understand how things work. I also have sometimes noticed that some web
pages sometimes do not resize to fit the screen, and also I have a wide
screen monitor that is being driven by an old video adapter that does not
properly match the screen resolution, so I am using 1024x768 which is
closest to the aspect ratio but still distorts images by stretching them
horizontally. Setting to 1280x1024 and back did not change the left margin
problem.

But I also tried it on my laptop computer running Vista, linked via
wireless router, and the same problem appeared.

I'm just curious why something like this might happen. BTW, I am greatly
impressed with this JavaScript resource, and I have learned a lot already.

Paul

Paul E. Schoen

I also found that resizing the browser window seemed to fix the problem,
and I also saw it in full screen mode. When it was in either mode, a reload
caused the problem to reappear. But changing the window size or switching
between full size and sizeable fixed it.

Paul

Dr J R Stockton

In comp.lang.javascript message <9ef1m.1337$(E-Mail Removed)
t>, Sat, 27 Jun 2009 02:12:21, Paul E. Schoen <(E-Mail Removed)>
posted:
>I noticed that a portion of the page
>http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/js-date2.htm has the text shifted to the left
>so that it is several characters off-screen. It does this in IE7 but not in
>Firefox. I looked at the HTML and could not find any clue, except that it
>might be caused by an external function. The problem starts with:

I see no anomaly in IE7 or FF3. Or Opera, Safari, Chrome.

I saw a slight bug, in that, using FF3, the form (blue) was
insufficiently wide for "Pressed over 1.5 seconds ago", which line-
wrapped neatly within the form, making the form taller and so moving
later material down a bit. The form is now a little wider.

> <H2><a name="SD">A Simple Delay</a></H2>
>
>and then the proper left margin is restored at:
>
> <H3><a name="AC">A Converter</a></H3>
>
>but after clicking on the Delay control the left margin was offset for the
>rest of the document. When I went to the framed index and returned, the
>left margin was restored as of
>
> write('<\/i>Believe it if you like.\n',
>
>I saw the form generated by "ShoFFF(DoItSoon)" shift to the right when I
>clicked on it.

ShoFFF generates text areas with double-line green borders; it does not
generate forms. My forms are almost always a bluish colour, CSS
background: #AAD4FF;.

The button "Press" in the form in that section merely rewrites in the
yellow span, K9.

> I have learned a lot already.

<G>.