Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > FAQ Topic - How do I disable the right mouse button? (2009-06-23)

FAQ Topic - How do I disable the right mouse button? (2009-06-23)

FAQ server

FAQ Topic - How do I disable the right mouse button?

The ` oncontextmenu ` is a proprietary method and is not supported on
all browsers.
` <body oncontextmenu="return false"> `

The complete comp.lang.javascript FAQ is at
http://jibbering.com/faq/index.html.

--

The sendings of these daily posts are proficiently hosted
by http://www.pair.com.

Dr J R Stockton

In comp.lang.javascript message <4a400cf8$0$48241$(E-Mail Removed).
dk>, Mon, 22 Jun 2009 23:00:02, FAQ server <(E-Mail Removed)>
posted:

BART :

>The complete comp.lang.javascript FAQ is at
>http://jibbering.com/faq/index.html.

Not the current version of the FAQ, which is at
http://www.jibbering.com/faq/index.html.

<FAQENTRY>

FAQ section 1 says

"You are reading the comp.lang.javascript meta-FAQ, version 17. It is
available on the web at http://jibbering.com/faq/ in HTML form.".

Since one can copy the FAQ (and should, if there is any chance of
wanting to read it when not connected to the Net), such a statement
cannot be reliable. Contrast with

"This is the comp.lang.javascript meta-FAQ, version 17. The latest
version is available at http://jibbering.com/faq/ in HTML form.".

Garrett Smith

Dr J R Stockton wrote:
> In comp.lang.javascript message <4a400cf8$0$48241$(E-Mail Removed).
> dk>, Mon, 22 Jun 2009 23:00:02, FAQ server <(E-Mail Removed)>

[...]

> FAQ section 1 says
>
> "You are reading the comp.lang.javascript meta-FAQ, version 17. It is
> available on the web at http://jibbering.com/faq/ in HTML form.".
>
> Since one can copy the FAQ (and should, if there is any chance of
> wanting to read it when not connected to the Net), such a statement
> cannot be reliable. Contrast with
>
> "This is the comp.lang.javascript meta-FAQ, version 17. The latest
> version is available at http://jibbering.com/faq/ in HTML form.".

[...]

Good point. Changed and updated.

Now to get that caching issue addressed.

Garrett

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Dr J R Stockton wrote:
> FAQ server posted:
>
> BART :
>
>> The complete comp.lang.javascript FAQ is at
>> http://jibbering.com/faq/index.html.

> Not the current version of the FAQ, which is at
> http://www.jibbering.com/faq/index.html.

Don't be ridiculous. The URIs are different, the resource is the same.

In fact, since the former works, the former should be preferred.
And the name of the index document should be stripped from the URI.

PointedEars

Bart Van der Donck

Dr J R Stockton wrote:

> In comp.lang.javascript message <4a400cf8$0$48241$(E-Mail Removed).
> dk>, Mon, 22 Jun 2009 23:00:02, FAQ server <(E-Mail Removed)>
> posted:
>
> BART :
>
> >The complete comp.lang.javascript FAQ is at
> >http://jibbering.com/faq/index.html.

> Not the current version of the FAQ, which is at
> * * * *http://www.jibbering.com/faq/index.html.
>
> <FAQENTRY>
>
> FAQ section 1 says
>
> "You are reading the comp.lang.javascript meta-FAQ, version 17. *It is
> available on the web athttp://jibbering.com/faq/in HTML form.".
>
> Since one can copy the FAQ (and should, if there is any chance of
> wanting to read it when not connected to the Net), such a statement
> cannot be reliable. *Contrast with
>
> "This is the comp.lang.javascript meta-FAQ, version 17. *The latest
> version is available athttp://jibbering.com/faq/in HTML form.".

The original post in this thread dates from June 23, 2009 01:00 CEST.
Since yesterday, per Garrett's email request, the footer has been
changed into:

The complete comp.lang.javascript FAQ is at
http://jibbering.com/faq/

http://groups.google.com/group/comp....f769b496e52ac7

In so far I can seen, this URL is indeed identical as mentioned in
section 1. If this is not okay, it can of course be modified...

--
Bart

Dr J R Stockton

In comp.lang.javascript message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Wed,
24 Jun 2009 09:07:30, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <(E-Mail Removed)>
posted:
>Dr J R Stockton wrote:
>> FAQ server posted:
>>
>> BART :
>>
>>> The complete comp.lang.javascript FAQ is at
>>> http://jibbering.com/faq/index.html.

>> Not the current version of the FAQ, which is at
>> http://www.jibbering.com/faq/index.html.

>Don't be ridiculous. The URIs are different, the resource is the same.

The resource was not the same. It displayed different characters.
Since Garrett is active, what is seen may have changed between when I
wrote that article and when you had read it. You should have realised
that possibility.

Just before I wrote this paragraph, those URLs gave different versions
of "Version 18, Updated June 23, 2009 by Garrett Smith". There was a
difference in wording and an apparent difference in CSS.

>In fact, since the former works, the former should be preferred.
>And the name of the index document should be stripped from the URI.

There will be less potential for human confusion, GS included, if the
published URL matches, as closely as it can, the file structure at
Jibbering, and if the common "www." is included.

BTW, I'm currently re-reading an interesting old book - "Step by Step" -
not to be confused with the strange title Amazon alleges was written
(posthumously?) by Enid Blyton. It reminds me of you.

Garrett Smith

FAQ server wrote:
> FAQ Topic - How do I disable the right mouse button?
>
> The ` oncontextmenu ` is a proprietary method and is not supported on
> all browsers.
> ` <body oncontextmenu="return false"> `
>

> The complete comp.lang.javascript FAQ is at
> http://jibbering.com/faq/index.html.

Idea:

User hardware (including the mouse) can be configured by the user but
cannot be disabled by javascript.

The |oncontextmenu| event is not widely supported and browsers that do
support it may configured to prevent scripts from accessing that event.

Example:

See also:
https://developer.mozilla.org/En/DOM....oncontextmenu

Garrett

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Dr J R Stockton wrote:
> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn posted:
>> In fact, since [http://jibbering.com/faq/] works, the former should be
>> preferred [over http://www.jibbering.com/faq/index.html].
>> And the name of the index document should be stripped from the URI.

> There will be less potential for human confusion, GS included,

Do you mean Garrett Smith by "GS"? If yes, I seriously doubt he will be
confused. If no, who/what do you mean?

> if the published URL matches, as closely as it can, the file structure
> at Jibbering,

Users could not be less interested in the file structures on servers. That
includes the file name of the index document of a given path. They simply
want things to work, easy to type and to remember. In fact, in my
experience they would prefer "cljs-faq.com" (or another TLD like .net, .org)
over "jibbering.com/faq".

> and if the common "www." is included.

Granted,

www.jibbering.com/faq

is probably easier to recognize as a FAQ reference by humans and parsers than

jibbering.com/faq

However, that does not apply to

http://www.jibbering.com/faq/

instead of

http://jibbering.com/faq/

See [RFC3986], Appendices B and C.

PointedEars
___________
[RFC3986] RFC 3986 "Uniform Resource Identifier (URI): Generic Syntax"
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3986>

John G Harris

On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 at 11:14:48, in comp.lang.javascript, Thomas
'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:

<snip>
>Granted,
>
> www.jibbering.com/faq
>
>is probably easier to recognize as a FAQ reference by humans and parsers than
>
> jibbering.com/faq
>
>However, that does not apply to
>
> http://www.jibbering.com/faq/
>
>instead of
>
> http://jibbering.com/faq/
>
>See [RFC3986], Appendices B and C.

What has appendix B or C got to do with it ? Do tell us.

John
--
John Harris

Dr J R Stockton

In comp.lang.javascript message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Thu,
25 Jun 2009 11:14:48, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <(E-Mail Removed)>
posted:
>Dr J R Stockton wrote:
>> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn posted:
>>> In fact, since [http://jibbering.com/faq/] works, the former should be
>>> preferred [over http://www.jibbering.com/faq/index.html].
>>> And the name of the index document should be stripped from the URI.

>> There will be less potential for human confusion, GS included,

>Do you mean Garrett Smith by "GS"? If yes, I seriously doubt he will be
>confused. If no, who/what do you mean?

Not, of course, you : just ordinary people.