Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > Update to FAQ - Relative URLs for In-page Links and Links to Notes

Update to FAQ - Relative URLs for In-page Links and Links to Notes

Garrett Smith

As I said I would do a few days ago, I have changed the FAQ use relative
URLs for links to the faq_notes and in-page faq fragment links.

Reasons:
* Avoids the problem of having "www.jibbering.com/faq/" link to
"jibbering.com/faq/", which caused a page reload
* Makes faq more portable.

The mon-wen postings need the full URL, so there is a variable in the
processing file that adds the protocol+domain. Anyway, these appear to
not be occurring, which is subject for another thread (soon).

Garrett

David Mark

On May 24, 2:12*pm, Garrett Smith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> As I said I would do a few days ago, I have changed the FAQ use relative
> URLs for links to the faq_notes and in-page faq fragment links.

Where is the link to the notes?

[snip]

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

David Mark wrote:
> On May 24, 2:12 pm, Garrett Smith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> As I said I would do a few days ago, I have changed the FAQ use relative
>> URLs for links to the faq_notes and in-page faq fragment links.

> Where is the link to the notes?

The _links_ are Where they were before. Can't you read?

PointedEars

David Mark

On May 24, 3:36*pm, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> David Mark wrote:
> > On May 24, 2:12 pm, Garrett Smith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> As I said I would do a few days ago, I have changed the FAQ use relative
> >> URLs for links to the faq_notes and in-page faq fragment links.

> > Where is the link to the notes?

> The _links_ are Where they were before. *Can't you read?

We've established *I* can read. Need I remind you?

Never mind the _links_, where is the link to the notes? Thanks.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

David Mark wrote:
> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
>> David Mark wrote:
>>> Where is the link to the notes?

>> The _links_ are Where they were before. Can't you read?
>>

> We've established *I* can read. Need I remind you?

Yes, please, I don't remember.

> Never mind the _links_, where is the link to the notes? Thanks.

Ah, *that*. The link is where it was before.

HTH

PointedEars

David Mark

On May 24, 3:52*pm, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> David Mark wrote:
> > Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
> >> The _links_ are Where they were before. *Can't you read?

> > We've established *I* can read. *Need I remind you?

> Yes, please, I don't remember.

Lahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhnnnnnnnn!

http://groups.google.com/group/comp....969ee9f038302#

> > Never mind the _links_, where is the link to the notes? *Thanks.

> Ah, *that*. *The link is where it was before.

Thanks for that.

> HTH

Hope springs eternal.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

David Mark wrote:
> On May 24, 3:52 pm, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>> David Mark wrote:
>>> We've established *I* can read. Need I remind you?

>> Yes, please, I don't remember.

> Lahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhnnnnnnnn!

You got it all wrong, Mark. My last name is spelled with a single `h' and a
single `n'. Really.

> http://groups.google.com/group/comp....969ee9f038302#

Your Irony Detector[tm] is borken.

>>> Never mind the _links_, where is the link to the notes? Thanks.

>> Ah, *that*. The link is where it was before.

> Thanks for that.

You're welcome.

PointedEars

Garrett Smith

David Mark wrote:
> On May 24, 2:12 pm, Garrett Smith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> As I said I would do a few days ago, I have changed the FAQ use relative
>> URLs for links to the faq_notes and in-page faq fragment links.

> Where is the link to the notes?

The FAQ links to the notes on the word "notes", in the text:

| For additional explanation and detail relating to some aspects of the
| FAQ, please see the FAQ Notes.

Instead of linking to jibbering.com/faq/faq_notes, or www., the link now
has a relative path.

In addition, there are (AYK), specific pages of the notes are linked
from within the FAQ.

Garrett

David Mark

On May 24, 8:02*pm, Garrett Smith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> David Mark wrote:
> > On May 24, 2:12 pm, Garrett Smith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> As I said I would do a few days ago, I have changed the FAQ use relative
> >> URLs for links to the faq_notes and in-page faq fragment links.

> > Where is the link to the notes?

> The FAQ links to the notes on the word "notes", in the text:
>
> | For additional explanation and detail relating to some aspects of the
> | FAQ, please see the FAQ Notes.

What column and row again?

> Instead of linking to jibbering.com/faq/faq_notes, or www., the link now
> has a relative path.

Good.

> In addition, there are (AYK), specific pages of the notes are linked
> from within the FAQ.

What I am getting at is that the Notes link should be more prominent.

Garrett Smith

David Mark wrote:
> On May 24, 8:02 pm, Garrett Smith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> David Mark wrote:
>>> On May 24, 2:12 pm, Garrett Smith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Instead of linking to jibbering.com/faq/faq_notes, or www., the link now
>> has a relative path.

> Good.

Less load on Jim's server.

>> In addition, there are (AYK), specific pages of the notes are linked
>> from within the FAQ.

> What I am getting at is that the Notes link should be more prominent.

How about a link at the top of the page, just the h1
"comp.lang.javascript FAQ" ?

| comp.lang.javascript FAQ
| FAQ Notes
|
| Version 14, Updated May 24, 2009 by Jorge Chamorro

With the text "FAQ Notes" being a link to faq_notes/faq_notes.html.

LInks to the notes default page should link to the path, and let the
server return the default page (index.html here), but for the purpose of
solving only this problem (and not opening a can), we'll leave it
linking to the current "faq_notes.html".

So, what about that proposal? Like it, or do you have a better one?

Garrett