Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > Event Handling via CSS

Event Handling via CSS

c.janardhanreddy@gmail.com

Hi,

I have seen sites using css attribute like "hover" to make dynamic
websites.

In some sites most elements don't have direct event handlers like
'mouseover', 'mouseout' etc attached to html elements. Instead they
use CSS. Could any one you give me some idea about invoking
JavaScript event handlers via css for CSS attributes like "hover"?

E.g: In hp.com, tabs like 'Support & Drivers' or 'Shop for Products'
are <a> HTML elements which don't have any event handlers directly
attached to them. Still they modify the DOM on mouseover/out. I
believe they are done via CSS. Could any body of you please give me
some guidance regarding this ?

Thanks in Advance,
Janardhan

Erwin Moller

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) schreef:
> Hi,
>
> I have seen sites using css attribute like "hover" to make dynamic
> websites.
>
> In some sites most elements don't have direct event handlers like
> 'mouseover', 'mouseout' etc attached to html elements. Instead they
> use CSS. Could any one you give me some idea about invoking
> JavaScript event handlers via css for CSS attributes like "hover"?
>
> E.g: In hp.com, tabs like 'Support & Drivers' or 'Shop for Products'
> are <a> HTML elements which don't have any event handlers directly
> attached to them. Still they modify the DOM on mouseover/out. I
> believe they are done via CSS. Could any body of you please give me
> some guidance regarding this ?
>
> Thanks in Advance,
> Janardhan

Hi,

You do not define JavaScript eventhandlers in your CSS declaration.
You should add them via JavaScript.
The hover behaviour you mentioned is something that is fully defined in
CSS. (Just google for 'hover css')

Regards,
Erwin Moller

-- C.A.R. Hoare

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

You appear to have acquired a number of misconceptions and false
terminology, which hinder understanding.

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I have seen sites using css attribute like "hover" to make dynamic
> websites.

Those are pseudo-classes, not attributes:

<http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/selector.html#dynamic-pseudo-classes>

> In some sites most elements don't have direct event handlers like
> 'mouseover', 'mouseout' etc attached to html elements. Instead they
> use CSS. Could any one you give me some idea about invoking
> JavaScript event handlers via css for CSS attributes like "hover"?

`mouseover', `mouseout' etc. are _not_ "event handlers", those are event
types. There is also no such thing as "JavaScript event handlers". And
even if there were, you could not "invoke" them "via css"; CSS is merely
a formatting language.

<http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/>

When the user or a program does something in a user agent, an event
occurs. That may create an event object to propagate the event in the
document tree.

<http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-2-Events/events.html#Events-flow>
<http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/NOTE-DOM-Level-3-Events-20031107/events.html#Events-flow>

It may also, rather independently of the DOM, trigger a style sheet selector
that uses a dynamic pseudo-class.

DOM implementations provide internal event-handlers so that code may
handle these events. Event-handlers call one or more event-listeners; the
latter can be added with implementations that implement specified interfaces.

<http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-2-Events/events.html#Events-EventListener>
<http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/NOTE-DOM-Level-3-Events-20031107/events.html#Events-listeners>

HTML elements provide event-handler attributes which value is supposed to be
code written in a scripting language that is executed when the event occurs.

<http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/interact/scripts.html#h-18.2.3>

(Here event-handler attributes are called "events"; watch the date of this
Specification and don't let yourself be confused by this.)

DOM objects may provide proprietary event-handler properties which value is
supposed to be (a reference to) a callable object that contains the code to
be executed on event. If such a DOM object represents an element in the
document, then that element does not need to have one of the aforementioned
event-handler attributes specified, provided there is an event-handler
property for that attribute.

There are also proprietary events and corresponding event-handler properties
that have no corresponding event-handler attribute in Valid markup, e.g.
<https://developer.mozilla.org/en/DOM/element#Event_Handlers>

(Noticed that there has been no mentioning of JavaScript until here? For
these features are independent of a programming language.)

Now, DOM implementations also provide properties that implement interfaces
of CSS-related APIs:

<http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-2-Style/css.html>

You can use these properties to manipulate style sheets, e.g.

element.style.display = "none";

to prevent an the element that is represented by the object `element' refers
to from being rendered.

However, you only need to do this for user agents that do not support the
corresponding CSS property, or pseudo-class for the element in question, or
CSS at all.

> E.g: In hp.com, tabs like 'Support & Drivers' or 'Shop for Products'
> are <a> HTML elements which don't have any event handlers directly
> attached to them. Still they modify the DOM on mouseover/out.

If anything, they would modify the document tree; the DOM is a *model*, an
API instead, and usually not modified by an application using it. (In fact,
it is strongly recommended against trying to modify a DOM implementation on
the fly; the objects provided are *host* *objects*, not, e.g. ECMAScript
native objects.)

> I believe they are done via CSS.

The content is styled with CSS, but I presume the content is exchanged with
the IXMLHTTPRequest API (XHR, also known as AJAX -- Asynchronous JavaScript
and XML).

<https://developer.mozilla.org/en/AJAX>

Of course, this doesn't work where XHR support is unavailable, and it can
cause considerable delays if XHR support is available but there is small
bandwidth or the display device is a mobile one.

In fact, the whole HP website is not exactly a showcase of good Web
authoring. Starts with

<http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hp.com%2F%23S upport>

<http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?profile=css3&warning=2&uri=http%3A%2F%2F www.hp.com%2F%23Support>
| Sorry! We found the following errors (6)

and ends with their using jQuery from which you should stay far away at
least at this point of its development. (Search the archives. JFTR:
I have very fast Internet access here, and a reasonably fast CPU, OS, and
browser[1]; yet switching from one section to the other through mouseover
takes about half a second! Talk about code efficiency ...)

> Could any body of you please give me some guidance regarding this ?

[x] done

HTH

PointedEars
___________
[1] Cable Internet access, 15000 kbps downstream top;
Pentium M 740, 1 GB RAM;
Debian GNU/Linux lenny/testing/unstable/experimental,
Linux 2.6.28.8-20090322.180402, 1 GB Swap;
KDE 3.5.9.dfsg.1-6, Firefox/Iceweasel 3.0.6

SAM

Le 4/20/09 2:37 PM, (E-Mail Removed) a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I have seen sites using css attribute like "hover" to make dynamic
> websites.
>
> In some sites most elements don't have direct event handlers like
> 'mouseover', 'mouseout' etc attached to html elements. Instead they
> use CSS. Could any one you give me some idea about invoking
> JavaScript event handlers via css for CSS attributes like "hover"?
>
> E.g: In hp.com, tabs like 'Support & Drivers' or 'Shop for Products'
> are <a> HTML elements which don't have any event handlers directly
> attached to them. Still they modify the DOM on mouseover/out. I
> believe they are done via CSS. Could any body of you please give me
> some guidance regarding this ?

After the other answers you can go to a site that uses and demosntrates
this "css-event"
<http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menus/index.html>
fun : <http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menu/streaker>
panoramic scroller :
<http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menu/scroller>

--
sm

Erwin Moller

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn schreef:
> You appear to have acquired a number of misconceptions and false
> terminology, which hinder understanding.
>
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> I have seen sites using css attribute like "hover" to make dynamic
>> websites.

> Those are pseudo-classes, not attributes:
>
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/selector.html#dynamic-pseudo-classes>
>
>> In some sites most elements don't have direct event handlers like
>> 'mouseover', 'mouseout' etc attached to html elements. Instead they
>> use CSS. Could any one you give me some idea about invoking
>> JavaScript event handlers via css for CSS attributes like "hover"?

> `mouseover', `mouseout' etc. are _not_ "event handlers", those are event
> types. There is also no such thing as "JavaScript event handlers". And
> even if there were, you could not "invoke" them "via css"; CSS is merely
> a formatting language.

Hi Thomas,

The part 'There is also no such thing as "JavaScript event handlers".'
was a surprise to me.
I always thought of this matter in oversimplified terms, like: "the
browser can generate an event of a certain type that can invoke a
certainJavaScript event handler."
Oversimplified view I see now.
Clear posting.

<snipped good explanation to spare bandwidth>

Regards,
Erwin Moller

-- C.A.R. Hoare

c.janardhanreddy@gmail.com

On Apr 21, 12:25*am, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> [...]

> | Sorry! We found the following errors (6)
>
> and ends with their using jQuery from which you should stay far away at
> least at this point of its development. *(Search the archives. *JFTR:
> I have very fast Internet access here, and a reasonably fast CPU, OS, and
> browser[1]; yet switching from one section to the other through mouseover
> takes about half a second! *Talk about code efficiency ...)
>
> > Could any body of you please give me some guidance regarding this ?

> [x] done
>
> HTH
>
> PointedEars
> ___________
> [1] Cable Internet access, 15000 kbps downstream top;
> * * Pentium M 740, 1 GB RAM;
> * * Debian GNU/Linux lenny/testing/unstable/experimental,
> * * * Linux 2.6.28.8-20090322.180402, 1 GB Swap;
> * * KDE 3.5.9.dfsg.1-6, Firefox/Iceweasel 3.0.6

Thanks for sharing valuable information, I need to get the pseudo-
classes(.hover .active etc) attached to elements via CSS. I got the
DOM nodelist using
var nodelist = document.getElementsByTagName('*'). Is there any way
that i could get pseudo-class for each element(nodelist[0]).

I found one way in getting hover as below:
var rule = window.document.styleSheets[0].cssRules[0];
rule.selectorText;but this eats up the process Speed if website have
multiple CSS files.

Could you please help in getting pseudo-class using the nodelist.

Thanks in Advance.
Janardhan

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
> Now, DOM implementations also provide properties that implement interfaces
> of CSS-related APIs:
>
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-2-Style/css.html>
>
> You can use these properties to manipulate style sheets, e.g.
>
> element.style.display = "none";
>
> to prevent an the element that is represented by the object `element' refers
> to from being rendered.
>
> However, you only need to do this for user agents that do not support the
> corresponding CSS property, or pseudo-class for the element in question, or
> CSS at all.

In the last case, it does not work no matter how you do it, of course. If
CSS is not supported, you cannot trigger it with scripting as well. So you
can ignore this particular case. (However, previous UAs that do not support
CSS really, may support CSS-like properties. For example, Netscape 4.x does
support a `visibility' property for certain elements: element.visibility =
"hide".)

PointedEars

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> [snipped full quote]
> Thanks for sharing valuable information,

Thank you for trimming quotes to the relevant minimum next time. I (and
everybody else) know what a wrote.

<http://jibbering.com/faq/#posting>

> I need to get the pseudo-classes(.hover .active etc)

The pseudo-classes are `:hover' and `:active', respectively. The colon
distinguishes them against "normal" classes which start with a dot in the
stylesheet (`.foobar').

> attached to elements via CSS.

To format `a' elements in the document so that their text color turns red
when the pointer is placed on it:

a:hover {
color: red;
}

(Selectors with greater specificity not considered, of course. See also
<http://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/color>.)

Plain CSS is off-topic here, though.

> I got the DOM nodelist using
> var nodelist = document.getElementsByTagName('*'). Is there any way
> that i could get pseudo-class for each element(nodelist[0]).

Yes, theoretically you could use the document.styleSheets collection and
find out if a selector in a stylesheet using a dynamic pseudo-class applies
to the element in question.

However, you are still going about this the wrong way; CSS has nothing to do
with DOM events. What are you trying to do anyway, and why?

PointedEars

Roger

On Apr 20, 3:25*pm, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> [...]

> > I believe they are done via CSS.

> The content is styled with CSS, but I presume the content is exchanged with
> *the IXMLHTTPRequest API (XHR, also known as AJAX -- Asynchronous JavaScript
> and XML).
>
> <https://developer.mozilla.org/en/AJAX>
>
> Of course, this doesn't work where XHR support is unavailable, and it can
> cause considerable delays if XHR support is available but there is small
> bandwidth or the display device is a mobile one.
>
> In fact, the whole HP website is not exactly a showcase of good Web
> authoring. *Starts with
>
> <http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hp.com%2...>
> | 105 Errors, 15 warnings
>
> <http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?profile=css3&warning=2&u...>
> | Sorry! We found the following errors (6)
>
> and ends with their usingjQueryfrom which you should stay farawayat

Or ever as they will never learn. I actually posted a message (under
a pseudonym of course) to their forum once:

http://groups.google.com/group/jquer...3e3de5293e34f8

Banned immediately for stating that jQuery uses browser sniffing.
Probably fired their moderator too.

More evidence that they are terminally stuck in the year 2000 and
there is no hope for their plug-in system:

http://groups.google.com/group/jquer...6ad397997595d9

Development group is nuts too:

http://groups.google.com/group/jquer...2a0e11ce86fdad

Sure, use jQuery with XHTML. It blows up real good.

Damn, banned again. Two messages, two groups, two bans. Has to make
you wonder why they are so scared of criticism and why they would try
to shield their users from relevant issues. Doesn't really bode well
for the future and past and present versions are obviously out of the
question.

Speaking of the future, I think most of the "supported browsers" have
QSA now.

This is Sizzle:

if ( document.querySelectorAll ) (function(){
var oldSizzle = Sizzle, div = document.createElement("div");
div.innerHTML = "<p class='TEST'></p>";

// Safari can't handle uppercase or unicode characters when
// in quirks mode.
if ( div.querySelectorAll && div.querySelectorAll(".TEST").length ===
0 ) {
return;
}

Sizzle = function(query, context, extra, seed){
context = context || document;

// Only use querySelectorAll on non-XML documents
// (ID selectors don't work in non-HTML documents)
if ( !seed && context.nodeType === 9 && !isXML(context) ) {
try {
return makeArray( context.querySelectorAll(query), extra );

Note. No steak.

} catch(e){}
}

return oldSizzle(query, context, extra, seed);
};

Sizzle.find = oldSizzle.find;
Sizzle.filter = oldSizzle.filter;
Sizzle.selectors = oldSizzle.selectors;
Sizzle.matches = oldSizzle.matches;
})();

I recognize *that* pattern. Now if people can figure out that
"chaining" is just:

return this;

....nobody will feel compelled to rely on jQuery's Script of the Month
Club again.

David Mark

On Apr 21, 10:54*am, Roger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[snip]

> Or ever as they will never learn. *I actually posted a message (under
> a pseudonym of course) to their forum once:

Oops, posted this under the same alias. Dear moderator, please don't
ban "Roger"; he's a good guy!