Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Firefox won't load?

Firefox won't load?

John Hinson

I first installed 0.9.3 and removed it when it wouldn't start.

I just installed 1.0pr and had the same problem.

After installation, I double-click on the shortcut and the mouse icon
indicates the program is starting, but it never does.

Anyone have any explanation for this?

Thanks.

First Last

John Hinson wrote:
> I first installed 0.9.3 and removed it when it wouldn't start.
>
> I just installed 1.0pr and had the same problem.
>
> After installation, I double-click on the shortcut and the mouse icon
> indicates the program is starting, but it never does.
>
> Anyone have any explanation for this?
>
> Thanks.

corrupted profile. try opening with a new profile.

--
Alternative applications, philosophy, comedy, and my wish list:
http://home.earthlink.net/~e-group/homepage.html

John Hinson

How do I change the profile?

John Hinson wrote:
> How do I change the profile?
>
> On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 23:18:37 GMT, First Last <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>John Hinson wrote:
>>
>>>I first installed 0.9.3 and removed it when it wouldn't start.
>>>
>>>I just installed 1.0pr and had the same problem.
>>>
>>>After installation, I double-click on the shortcut and the mouse icon
>>>indicates the program is starting, but it never does.
>>>
>>>Anyone have any explanation for this?
>>>
>>>Thanks.

>>corrupted profile. try opening with a new profile.

if you're on windows, quit firefox and enter "C:\Program Files\Mozilla
Firefox\firefox.exe" -p in your run prompt. then, just click the create
new profile button. if that works, then there are several files you'll
want to move from your old profile to your new profile in order to save
most of your settings.

--
Alternative applications, philosophy, comedy, and my wish list:
http://home.earthlink.net/~e-group/homepage.html

John Hinson

Okay, there's the rub I don't have an old profile because I have never
been able to get the program to open.

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 23:38:09 GMT, First Last <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>John Hinson wrote:
>> How do I change the profile?
>>
>> On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 23:18:37 GMT, First Last <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>>>corrupted profile. try opening with a new profile.

>if you're on windows, quit firefox and enter "C:\Program Files\Mozilla
>Firefox\firefox.exe" -p in your run prompt. then, just click the create
>new profile button. if that works, then there are several files you'll
>want to move from your old profile to your new profile in order to save
>most of your settings.

Pun Krocker

On this day, 19/09/2004 00:41, John Hinson said the following:
> Okay, there's the rub I don't have an old profile because I have never
> been able to get the program to open.

Have you looked here?

C:\DocumentsAndSettings\USERNAME\ApplicationData\M ozilla\Firefox\Profiles
--
d[_]b PK

interviewing people who can't talk
for people who can't read."

First Last

Pun Krocker wrote:
> On this day, 19/09/2004 00:41, John Hinson said the following:
>
>> Okay, there's the rub I don't have an old profile because I have never
>> been able to get the program to open.

> Have you looked here?
>

> C:\DocumentsAndSettings\USERNAME\ApplicationData\M ozilla\Firefox\Profiles

it won't be there if he never opened firefox. firefox doesn't create
the profile until the first opening.

--
Alternative applications, philosophy, comedy, and my wish list:
http://home.earthlink.net/~e-group/homepage.html

Reg Mouatt

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 23:06:06 GMT, John Hinson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I first installed 0.9.3 and removed it when it wouldn't start.
>
>I just installed 1.0pr and had the same problem.
>
>After installation, I double-click on the shortcut and the mouse icon
>indicates the program is starting, but it never does.
>
>Anyone have any explanation for this?
>
>Thanks.

Hi John,
When I had a problem similar, I made use of jv16PowerTools from
www.macecraft.com It comes with a thirty day free trial and by
clicking on the third icon from the left of 'Registry Tools' and
entering Firefox (and Mozilla if you only have Firefox). You are then
able to remove every instance from the registry. A backup is
automatically created should you wish to restore. I used this method a
small number of times with difficult to reinstall programmes including
NAV2004.
Good luck,
Reg

Reg Mouatt

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 23:31:36 +0000 (UTC), Reg Mouatt
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 23:06:06 GMT, John Hinson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I first installed 0.9.3 and removed it when it wouldn't start.
>>
>>I just installed 1.0pr and had the same problem.
>>
>>After installation, I double-click on the shortcut and the mouse icon
>>indicates the program is starting, but it never does.
>>
>>Anyone have any explanation for this?
>>
>>Thanks.

>Hi John,
> When I had a problem similar, I made use of jv16PowerTools from
>www.macecraft.com It comes with a thirty day free trial and by
>clicking on the third icon from the left of 'Registry Tools' and
>entering Firefox (and Mozilla if you only have Firefox). You are then
>able to remove every instance from the registry. A backup is
>automatically created should you wish to restore. I used this method a
>small number of times with difficult to reinstall programmes including
>NAV2004.
>Good luck,
>Reg

PS: Remove Firefox via Control Panel/Add/Remove in the usual way
first.
Reg

John Hinson

Thanks Reg,

I just used GoBack to get rid of it.

My only concern is that I want to try out the program and it won't
even run the first time. Maybe I'm the only person who ever had this
problem.