Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Firefox 1.0

Firefox 1.0

siDetRaked

I downloaded and installed Firefox 1.0. It worked fine for 2 days but
now it's not worth all the trouble. Whenever I close a link or screen
the program crashes. I can go online, check out a page and everything
is fine but when I close Firefox with the "x" it crashes and the
report a bug stuff comes up and then I have to deal with that. I
don't want too but it's back to IE.
--
siDetRaked
since 1938

First Last

siDetRaked wrote:
> I downloaded and installed Firefox 1.0. It worked fine for 2 days but
> now it's not worth all the trouble. Whenever I close a link or screen
> the program crashes. I can go online, check out a page and everything
> is fine but when I close Firefox with the "x" it crashes and the
> report a bug stuff comes up and then I have to deal with that. I
> don't want too but it's back to IE.

try a new profile, first.

--
Comedy, philosophy, my wish list, and alternative applications:
http://home.earthlink.net/~e-group/homepage.html

.brian.

On 9/18/2004 2:43 PM siDetRaked wrote:
> I downloaded and installed Firefox 1.0. It worked fine for 2 days but
> now it's not worth all the trouble. Whenever I close a link or screen
> the program crashes. I can go online, check out a page and everything
> is fine but when I close Firefox with the "x" it crashes and the
> report a bug stuff comes up and then I have to deal with that. I
> don't want too but it's back to IE.

Wow. You quit quickly! If IE is what you want to use, then by all
means go for it. If you like the security flaws routinely found in IE,
go for it! If you like using a non-compliant browser... go for it!

Did you ever use old versions of Windows? What did you do when your
computer locked up from a BSOD?

There is obviously a reason for your *isolated* problem. It's not a
wide-spread problem with Firefox (you don't see anyone else complaining
about this do you?) So why don't you try and figure out the problem?

--
Brian

Email Info -
http://68.1.17.8/p0nykiller/email.htm

siDetRaked

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 18:21:13 -0400, ".brian." <user@127.0.0.1> wrote:

>about this do you?) So why don't you try and figure out the problem?

Because I don't know how to do that stuff in computers. Unlike you I
wasn't born with a keyboard in my hand. I wanted to run this by the
group in case someone else had the problem and knew the fix. Why did
you even bother to post your non helpful reply. Jerk.
--
siDetRaked
since 1938
sidetraked(at)bluebottle(dot)com

siDetRaked

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 19:59:32 GMT, First Last <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>try a new profile, first.

Thanks First Last. I checked the help files but didn't see how to do
this.
--

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 08:54:00 GMT, siDetRaked <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 19:59:32 GMT, First Last <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>try a new profile, first.

>Thanks First Last. I checked the help files but didn't see how to do
>this.

I found the answer in one of your other posts. However, I don't have
the "create profile button" in that folder. Thanks,

--
siDetRaked
since 1938
sidetraked(at)bluebottle(dot)com

NoMoreMrNiceGuy

"siDetRaked" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I downloaded and installed Firefox 1.0. It worked fine for 2 days but
> now it's not worth all the trouble. Whenever I close a link or screen
> the program crashes. I can go online, check out a page and everything
> is fine but when I close Firefox with the "x" it crashes and the
> report a bug stuff comes up and then I have to deal with that. I
> don't want too but it's back to IE.
> --
> siDetRaked
> since 1938
> sidetraked(at)bluebottle(dot)com

I can't solve your problem. I learned long ago that with any free
open-source software there is a debt owed to help debug it. It comes with
the territory. Too many folks think they can just fire it up and voila, off
they go. Everyone needs to understand that most if not all open-source
stuff is beta all the time. But then again, so is all MS stuff

--
Norm

First Last

siDetRaked wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 08:54:00 GMT, siDetRaked <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 19:59:32 GMT, First Last <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>wrote:
>>

>>>try a new profile, first.

>>Thanks First Last. I checked the help files but didn't see how to do
>>this.

> I found the answer in one of your other posts. However, I don't have
> the "create profile button" in that folder. Thanks,

okay, it's easy. just quit firefox, click start if you're using
windows, and click run.
enter "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -p
it should be easy to see how to create a new profile from there. use
that new profile with firefox to see if it solves your problem. if it
does, you can keep all of your old settings by closing firefox and
moving these files
http://kb.mozillazine.org/index.phtm..._Tips_:_Backup from
your old profile to your new profile. also, if you made a
userChrome.css and userContent.css in your profile's chrome folder, then
you'll want to move those, too. also, if you have the quicknote
extension, and your quicknote1.txt files are in your profile/profile's
chrome folder, then you'll want to move those and update your quicknote
extension options.

--
Alternative applications, philosophy, comedy, and my wish list:

(On 9/19/2004 4:36 AM) siDetRaked wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 18:21:13 -0400, ".brian." <user@127.0.0.1> wrote:
>

>>about this do you?) So why don't you try and figure out the problem?

> Because I don't know how to do that stuff in computers. Unlike you I
> wasn't born with a keyboard in my hand. I wanted to run this by the
> group in case someone else had the problem and knew the fix. Why did
> you even bother to post your non helpful reply. Jerk.

Likewise. Why did you bother to reply nothing useful to my non-helpful
reply? Amazing how hypocritical people are huh?

But anyway... FYI I wasn't born with a keyboard in my hand, and I
haven't always had a computer. But I'm not stupid, and I know how to
actively look for solutions to my computer problems. I don't randomly
find somewhere to complain about my problem and say I'm finished.

You didn't come here and ask for help. What kind of reply did you
expect? You posted your problem, said Firefox is "not worth all the
trouble", and then stated it was off to IE for you. The end.

If that's what you want to do, then by all means happy browsing. I hope
you enjoy using IE... but if that were true, then why did you download
Firefox in the first place?

--
Brian

Email Info -
http://68.1.17.8/p0nykiller/email.htm

WolfGang

I, for one, want to read posts like siDetRacked's because my problem is
similar to his in some ways and I HAVE stuck it out and have been trying to
fix it for months. The amount of time and effort I give it is irrelevant.
Also I have it alongside of IE and you know what, I like IE and will
probably keep it too. As to why I do this, as with why sidetracked does what
he (or she) does, it's nobody's business to judge--either provide
assistance, or ignore me, but don't disparage my character, as has been done
with sidetracked, over it.
Firefox is excellent when you first download and run it. It seems not
unusual that at some point it will become corrupted to some extent. Yes it
is beta. But beta or not there are a massive amount of "official" Mozilla
help pages and forums that just never seem to have the answers even to the
error/alerts messages that they themselves designed into the programming and
it is frustrating to sort through it. I am still wondering if it is worth
the trouble.
Ideally there would be a comprehensive troubleshooting bible that would say
"If this happens, it is because of this and you need to fix it this way" in
a logical chain of yes or no (yes, like MS, IE). When there is not, a few
experts surface who like being experts, who would rather mete out help in
dribbles rather than direct you to such a bible.

This forum is as valuable as a place to lurk as anything, because I have
come closer to solving my firefox problem through lurking and reading the
questions more often than the answers. I do not like to see an OP put down
for any reason. If I, or sidetracked, decide Mozilla sucks and is not worth
it, so be it. Right now it sucks because it is not stable and is all over
the place.
Wolfgang

"siDetRaked" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I downloaded and installed Firefox 1.0. It worked fine for 2 days but
> now it's not worth all the trouble. Whenever I close a and everything
> is fine but when I close Firefox with the "x" it crashes and thelink or

screen
> the program crashes. I can go online, check out a page
> report a bug stuff comes up and then I have to deal with that. I
> don't want too but it's back to IE.
> --
> siDetRaked
> since 1938