Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > Google Toolbar autofill doesn't fire change events

Google Toolbar autofill doesn't fire change events

Nik Coughlin

I'm doing some ajax validation on form fields, using the form change event.
If I click Autofill in the Google Toolbar, fields are filled out but the
change event is never fired, so the validation doesn't update. I could user
a timer but that just smells wrong to me.

Any other way to reliably tell if a form has changed or even if I could
detect that autofill has been used somehow

Nik Coughlin

"Nik Coughlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gfdlh8$me5$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm doing some ajax validation on form fields, using the form change
> event. If I click Autofill in the Google Toolbar, fields are filled out
> but the change event is never fired, so the validation doesn't update. I
> could user a timer but that just smells wrong to me.
>
> Any other way to reliably tell if a form has changed or even if I could
> detect that autofill has been used somehow

Did a lot of searching and couldn't find an answer. So for now I'm going
with the nasty timer method, store all the form values that I'm interested
in, and every couple of seconds check if they've changed, if so call the
validation and updated the stored values. Works well but still feels a bit
yucky...