Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > setting window size and php

setting window size and php

Annette Block

I'm rather new in JavaScript, but I have some experience in php.
I learned it's rather easy to open a window of a specified size with
JavaScript, that you need to specify the opened file, but I don't see
how to do that in php.
The file I want to open is "detail.php?item=$item". This generates a
query, which results in a table of at most 5x3 items. I want a window
size that is of an appropriate size. I tried:
<HEAD>
<SCRIPT TYPE="text/javascript" LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
<!--
function NewWindow() {
window.open("detail.php?item=$item", "new", "width=500, height=300");
}
//-->
</SCRIPT>
- - - -
</HEAD>
and as hyperlink
<A HREF="detail.php?item=$item" TARGET="new" onClick="NewWindow();
return false;">details</A>

As a matter of fact I tried in the header more than just the example
shown, but no result. With this I came closest, getting a message that
my SQL syntax was wrong. Which isn't.

I also tried setting the window size within the details.php. But then
all windows became of the same size.

I know that php is server-side and JavaScript is client-side.

Any help or hint will be appreciated.
Annette

Erwin Moller

Annette Block schreef:

Hi Annette,

> I'm rather new in JavaScript, but I have some experience in php.
> I learned it's rather easy to open a window of a specified size with
> JavaScript, that you need to specify the opened file, but I don't see
> how to do that in php.

Well, you let PHP just put in the right values for JavaScript to use.

> The file I want to open is "detail.php?item=$item". This generates a
> query, which results in a table of at most 5x3 items. I want a window
> size that is of an appropriate size. I tried:
> <HEAD>
> <SCRIPT TYPE="text/javascript" LANGUAGE="JavaScript">

Leave out LANGUAGE="JavaScript".

> <!--

Stop using the <!-- also.

> function NewWindow() {
> window.open("detail.php?item=$item", "new", "width=500, height=300");
> }
> //-->
> </SCRIPT>
> - - - -
> </HEAD>
> and as hyperlink
> <A HREF="detail.php?item=$item" TARGET="new" onClick="NewWindow();
> return false;">details</A>

Excactly.
And you don't want $item of course, you want its value.

So why don't you put it there? Like this:
<A HREF="detail.php?item=<?php echo $item; ?>" TARGET="new"
onClick="NewWindow(); return false;">details</A>

> As a matter of fact I tried in the header more than just the example
> shown, but no result. With this I came closest, getting a message that
> my SQL syntax was wrong. Which isn't.

That means more is wrong.
I bet your SQL is vunurable to SQL injection.
If you from PHP take a value from the user, theat it like dangerous
stuff that will try to corrupt your database. Never trust it.

SO, do this:
$itemPassed = (int)$_GET["item"];
when you expect an integer.

If you expect a string, make sure you escape it well before feeding to
your database.
It is VERY EASY to pass a value that will delete everything in your
database.

Google for SQL injection for more info.

> I also tried setting the window size within the details.php. But then
> all windows became of the same size.

SInce you didn't show us code that should do that, we cannot possibly
comment on it.

> I know that php is server-side and JavaScript is client-side.

Yes.

> Any help or hint will be appreciated.
> Annette

Regards,
Erwin Moller
--
============================
Erwin Moller

Annette Block

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 13:22:57 +0200 wrote Erwin Moller
<Since_humans_read_this_I_am_spammed_too_much@spam yourself.com>:

>Annette Block schreef:
>
>Hi Annette,
>
>> I'm rather new in JavaScript, but I have some experience in php.
>> I learned it's rather easy to open a window of a specified size with
>> JavaScript, that you need to specify the opened file, but I don't see
>> how to do that in php.

>Well, you let PHP just put in the right values for JavaScript to use.
>
>> The file I want to open is "detail.php?item=$item". This generates a
>> query, which results in a table of at most 5x3 items. I want a window
>> size that is of an appropriate size. I tried:
>> <HEAD>
>> <SCRIPT TYPE="text/javascript" LANGUAGE="JavaScript">

>Leave out LANGUAGE="JavaScript".
>

>> <!--

>Stop using the <!-- also.
>

>> function NewWindow() {
>> window.open("detail.php?item=$item", "new", "width=500, height=300");
>> }
>> //-->
>> </SCRIPT>
>> - - - -
>> </HEAD>
>> and as hyperlink
>> <A HREF="detail.php?item=$item" TARGET="new" onClick="NewWindow();
>> return false;">details</A>

>Excactly.
>And you don't want $item of course, you want its value.
>
>So why don't you put it there? Like this:
><A HREF="detail.php?item=<?php echo $item; ?>" TARGET="new"
>onClick="NewWindow(); return false;">details</A>
>

>> As a matter of fact I tried in the header more than just the example
>> shown, but no result. With this I came closest, getting a message that
>> my SQL syntax was wrong. Which isn't.

>That means more is wrong.
>I bet your SQL is vunurable to SQL injection.
>If you from PHP take a value from the user, theat it like dangerous
>stuff that will try to corrupt your database. Never trust it.
>
>SO, do this:
>$itemPassed = (int)$_GET["item"];
>when you expect an integer.
>
>If you expect a string, make sure you escape it well before feeding to
>your database.
>It is VERY EASY to pass a value that will delete everything in your
>database.
>
>Google for SQL injection for more info.
>

>> I also tried setting the window size within the details.php. But then
>> all windows became of the same size.

>SInce you didn't show us code that should do that, we cannot possibly
>comment on it.
>

>> I know that php is server-side and JavaScript is client-side.

>Yes.
>

>> Any help or hint will be appreciated.
>> Annette

>Regards,
>Erwin Moller

Thank you, Erwin.
Your tips were very helpful. Now I get a window of the right size,
that is in IE. In Firefox it is still a whole page, but I prefer to
count my blessings.
I'm aware of the danger of getting wrong input. In this case the user
can only click on a number and, if he /she wishes so, more details and
backgrounds are given.
However a strange thing happened. I got an error message saying that
there is an unknown column '$item' in 'where clause'. Of course there
is a column called 'item'. Somehow the value is not transferred. This
is also strange as I get no signal about when moving the mouse over
the hyperlink. I guess this is PHP, so I trust I'll manage sooner or
later. But thanks for your help.
Regards,
Annette

Erwin Moller

Annette Block schreef:
> [...]

>>> Annette

>> Regards,
>> Erwin Moller

> Thank you, Erwin.
> Your tips were very helpful. Now I get a window of the right size,
> that is in IE. In Firefox it is still a whole page, but I prefer to
> count my blessings.
> I'm aware of the danger of getting wrong input. In this case the user
> can only click on a number and, if he /she wishes so, more details and
> backgrounds are given.
> However a strange thing happened. I got an error message saying that
> there is an unknown column '$item' in 'where clause'. Of course there
> is a column called 'item'. Somehow the value is not transferred. This
> is also strange as I get no signal about when moving the mouse over
> the hyperlink. I guess this is PHP, so I trust I'll manage sooner or

Hi Annette,

A few tips about debugging that helped me a lot:
1) When debugging HTML, always FIRST do a 'view source' of the results
PHP sent you. Simply check if all the things you want in the page are
put there with their right values.
2) When debugging postings/requests from a browser to PHP, simply do this:

echo "<pre>";
print_r($_POST);
echo "</pre>";
exit;

Or $_GET, or whatever you want to see.
That way you can easily see WHAT the browser is sending you.

Best of luck.
If you need more help with PHP: comp.lang.php

Regards,
Erwin Moller

--