Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > random number generation

random number generation

Fan924

How do I add random number generation to this background image slide
show? Everything I try kills if. TIA
_____________________________________
<head>
charset=windows-1252">
<title>New Page 2</title>
</head>
<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript1.2">
var pic=new Array()
pic[0]="pic/./000.bmp"
pic[1]="pic/./001.jpg"
pic[2]="pic/./002.jpg"
pic[3]="pic/./003.jpg"
pic[4]="pic/./004.jpg"
pic[5]="pic/./005.jpg"
pic[6]="pic/./006.jpg"
pic[7]="pic/./007.jpg"
pic[8]="pic/./008.jpg"
pic[9]="pic/./009.jpg"
var img=new Array()
for (i=0;i<pic.length;i++){
img[i]=new Image()
img[i].src=pic[i]
}
var enf=-1
function Slide(){
if (enf<pic.length-1)
enf++
else
enf=0
document.body.background=img[enf].src
}
if (document.all||document.getElementById)
window.onload=new Function('setInterval("Slide()",1000)')
</SCRIPT></BODY></HTML>

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Fan924 wrote:
> How do I add random number generation to this background image slide
> show? Everything I try kills if. TIA
> [...]
> var enf=-1
> function Slide(){
> if (enf<pic.length-1)
> enf++
> else
> enf=0
> document.body.background=img[enf].src
> }

You should try to learn how to write legible code first. After that it
should become much easier for you to see the issue.

However, as you are using FrontPage 4.0 and all other kinds of obsolete,
error-prone, inefficient nonsense, and all of this could already be
copy-and-pray in the first place, you may already be beyond help.

<http://jibbering.com/faq/>

PointedEars
will want to steal it.)

Gregor Kofler

Fan924 meinte:
> How do I add random number generation to this background image slide
> show? Everything I try kills if. TIA

would be something like

i = parseInt(Math.random() * pic.length, 10);

Perhaps you should show what you'e tried so far. However, given the
Frontpage crap you've posted, I can't think of anything meaningful.

["JS" atrocities snipped]

Gregor

http://web.gregorkofler.com ::: meine JS-Spielwiese

RobG

Fan924 wrote:
> How do I add random number generation to this background image slide
> show? Everything I try kills if. TIA
> _____________________________________
> <head>
> charset=windows-1252">
> <title>New Page 2</title>
> </head>
> <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript1.2">

The language attribute was deprecated many years ago, type is reqired, use:

<script type="text/javascript">

Indented code is easier to read for most of us.

> var pic=new Array()
> pic[0]="pic/./000.bmp"
> pic[1]="pic/./001.jpg"
> pic[2]="pic/./002.jpg"
> pic[3]="pic/./003.jpg"
> pic[4]="pic/./004.jpg"
> pic[5]="pic/./005.jpg"
> pic[6]="pic/./006.jpg"
> pic[7]="pic/./007.jpg"
> pic[8]="pic/./008.jpg"
> pic[9]="pic/./009.jpg"

That can be written more concisely as an Array literal:

var pic = ["pic/./000.bmp", "pic/./001.jpg",
"pic/./002.jpg", "pic/./003.jpg",
];

> var img=new Array()

var img = [];

> for (i=0;i<pic.length;i++){

Don't forget to declare variables. It doesn't really matter here but is
a good habbit:

for (var i=0; i<pic.length; i++){

> img[i]=new Image()
> img[i].src=pic[i]
> }
> var enf=-1

I understand why you've used -1 here, but consider using 0 and setting
your background image to pic/./000.bmp otherwise your visitors will have
to wait for the entire page and all images to load, then another second
before any background image is shown. So use:

> function Slide(){

By convention, function names that start with capital letters are
reserved for constructors.

> if (enf<pic.length-1)
> enf++
> else
> enf=0

That can be written as:

var enf = 0;
function Slide() {
enf = ++enf % pic.length;

> document.body.background=img[enf].src

document.body.style.backgroundImage = 'url("'+img[enf].src+'")';

> }
> if (document.all||document.getElementById)

The intention of feature detection is that you test for the feature that
you want to use. It is a bad strategy to test for some other feature to
infer support for the one you actually want to use.

> window.onload=new Function('setInterval("Slide()",1000)')

The Function constructor is unnecessary here and equivalent to the use
of eval, use:

window.onload = function(){
window.setInterval(slide, 1000);
}

--
Rob

Dr J R Stockton

In comp.lang.javascript message <sjQxk.30$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Wed, 10 Sep 2008 15:44:47, Gregor Kofler <(E-Mail Removed)>
posted:
>Fan924 meinte:
>> How do I add random number generation to this background image slide
>> show? Everything I try kills if. TIA

>would be something like
>
>i = parseInt(Math.random() * pic.length, 10);

Please read the standard about what parseInt is *for*, and the FAQ for
Random(). Granted the best answer is not unlike that, but why post
*that*.

(c) John Stockton, nr London UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk IE7 FF2 Op9 Sf3

Gregor Kofler

Dr J R Stockton meinte:
> In comp.lang.javascript message <sjQxk.30$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Wed, 10 Sep 2008 15:44:47, Gregor Kofler <(E-Mail Removed)>
> posted:

>> i = parseInt(Math.random() * pic.length, 10);

> Please read the standard about what parseInt is *for*, and the FAQ for
> Random(). Granted the best answer is not unlike that, but why post
> *that*.

Right doc - that's bullshit. Should have been Math.round() or rather
Math.floor() - in fact, that's what I use in my own library. Sorry.

Gregor

http://web.gregorkofler.com ::: meine JS-Spielwiese

John G Harris

On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 at 23:54:15, in comp.lang.javascript, RobG wrote:
>Fan924 wrote:
>> How do I add random number generation to this background image slide
>> show? Everything I try kills if. TIA
>> _____________________________________
>> <head>
>> charset=windows-1252">
>> <title>New Page 2</title>
>> </head>
>> <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript1.2">

>The language attribute was deprecated many years ago, type is reqired, use:
>
> <script type="text/javascript">

Except that the draft for HTML 5 says the type attribute can be omitted
if the type is text/javascript, and the language attribute is no longer
deprecated (though its meaning has changed a little).

>Indented code is easier to read for most of us.

<snip>

Hear, hear!

John
--
John Harris

Random Number Generation dpi VHDL 4 03-26-2010 10:31 AM
Need Help With Random Number Generation Between Upper and Lower Bound ANM Java 2 03-07-2004 07:18 AM
random number generation and Monte Carlo simulation in C++ mescaline C++ 4 09-10-2003 09:01 PM

Advertisments