Velocity Reviews > General Discussion > The Lounge > Scape goat of the month for November - Jan 1st

Scape goat of the month for November - Jan 1st

Ludnix Ludnix is offline
Senior Member
Location: Eureka California

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Modfather
Then how come you weren't aware of the problems and of the contest? Now I'm getting concerned again. Heres what doesn't add up.

1. You paid that much money for a website which obviously had very little activity, had serious problems and also had a contest which if you'd actually checked the site you'd have seen people were questioning already.

2. You further paid for a licence for vB, which is kind of silly since vB is a derivative of phpBB in the first place and phpBB is free, why anyone pays for this I will never comprehend, espescially since it's uncustomizable while phpBB is fully customizable. But your choice.

3. The whole idea that there was a contest and the point to it was that at 100 users the prize would be awarded yet, magically the forums were screwed up by some code written by the sites owner that banned everyone who tried to sign up.

4. At the point where 97 users had registered, the owner now finds someone willing to pay $400 for the site?

These things just do not add up I'm afraid. I can't tell you how you can prove anything or what to do to make things right, all I can say is that it's really fishy and if you did buy this site from someone, sue them. That's my advice, sue the bastard, because I don't think you're going to get anything out of your investment here. Because of the way this was handled, the users you've got now are a bit turned off. Maybe that's an understatement, actually I think the users here are leaving. I'd suggest that if you want to make a step in the right direction you get the guy you bought the site from to get on here and explain himself, quickly.
I think modfather pretty much summed up everyone thoughts there. I don't know how to express how much I agree with everything he just said.

Ian Ian is offline
Administrator
Ian's Avatar

Modfather, I don't know how I can prove anything further to you so I'm not going to try to - you will just have to believe me from my actions. I've listened to people's suggestions and I'm working hard to make positive changes here.

vB isn't a derivative of phpBB at all - its far older and much, much more secure. phpBB is fine, but I've had so many problems with hacked phpBB boards and none with vBulletin - so I made the switch. I've lost a whole phpBB forum before, and don't want to see that happening again. Also, the article system is based on a vBulletin mod, so it makes that much easier.

I'm not denying that the banning code was a bit fishy to say the least, but that was one of the first things I fixed.

I can only assume the owner wanted a quick sale because of these problems, as that still seems like a reasonable price to me. Velocity Reviews has a good name, lots of reviews/articles and active forums - all the required ingredients.

The Modfather The Modfather is offline
Senior Member
The Modfather's Avatar

Hmmm, if you say so Ian... I can only wish you the best of luck then. Hopefully things will turn out for the best.

Ian Ian is offline
Administrator
Ian's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Modfather
Hmmm, if you say so Ian... I can only wish you the best of luck then. Hopefully things will turn out for the best.
Thanks, I hope so too