Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Which Firefox (GTK or GTK2+XFT)?

Which Firefox (GTK or GTK2+XFT)?

Dennis J. Tuchler

I would like to download and install the current Firefox but don't know
which one to get. How do I know whether I have GTK or GTK2 + XFT?

Thanks

dj tuchler

First Last

Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:
> I would like to download and install the current Firefox but don't know
> which one to get. How do I know whether I have GTK or GTK2 + XFT?
>
> Thanks
>
> dj tuchler

GTK is for Linux. GTK2 + XFT is the Linux installer.

--
Comedy, philosophy, my wish list, and alternative applications:
http://home.earthlink.net/~e-group/homepage.html

.brian.

(On 09/17/04 18:16) First Last wrote:
> Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:
>
>> I would like to download and install the current Firefox but don't know
>> which one to get. How do I know whether I have GTK or GTK2 + XFT?
>>

> GTK is for Linux. GTK2 + XFT is the Linux installer.

There are two *different* versions of GTK. The OP wants to know which
version of Firefox they need to download. So your response really did
not help answer their question.

Also, you do realize their is a GTK version for Windows right?

--
Brian

version 0.8 (20040916)
2.6.8-gentoo-r3 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+ GNU/Linux
Gentoo: http://www.gentoo.org

First Last

..brian. wrote:
> (On 09/17/04 18:16) First Last wrote:
>
>> Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:
>>
>>> I would like to download and install the current Firefox but don't know
>>> which one to get. How do I know whether I have GTK or GTK2 + XFT?
>>>

>> GTK is for Linux. GTK2 + XFT is the Linux installer.
>>

> There are two *different* versions of GTK. The OP wants to know which
> version of Firefox they need to download. So your response really did
> not help answer their question.
>
> Also, you do realize their is a GTK version for Windows right?

no, thanks.

--

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 19:31:21 -0400, .brian. wrote:

> (On 09/17/04 18:16) First Last wrote:
>> Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:
>>
>>> I would like to download and install the current Firefox but don't know
>>> which one to get. How do I know whether I have GTK or GTK2 + XFT?
>>>

>> GTK is for Linux. GTK2 + XFT is the Linux installer.
>>

> There are two *different* versions of GTK. The OP wants to know which
> version of Firefox they need to download. So your response really did not
> help answer their question.

Right. I use Linux (SuSE 9.0 on one machine and SuSe 9.1 on another) and
I suppose it would be a bad idea to install the GTK2 version if I only
have GTK operating in my system. Is there a way to find out which I have?

Thanks

dj tuchler

Keith Bowes

Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:
> I would like to download and install the current Firefox but don't know
> which one to get. How do I know whether I have GTK or GTK2 + XFT?

GTK2 is newer than GTK. GTK2 has better internationalization and more
modern widgets. GTK is older and looks like Motif (the scroll bars look
like they're carved in stone). Xft is available for GTK2 and allows for
true-type fonts (smooth, like on Mac and 'doze).

Try typing the following in a console (like xterm):
rpm -qa | grep -i gtk

If you see something beginning with gtk2, then you have it.