Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Sequence of events

Sequence of events

John Spiegel

Hi all,

I've got an aspx page with a Web user control and (among other things) a
submit button. When the form is submitted, the same page is to be served
back up, but with some items changed, mainly a panel visible that had not
been and a setting in the user control. The problem I'm having is figuring
out how to manipulate the flagging values as the submit's handler doesn't
fire until the page and controls' load methods. I'm a bit fuzzy on the
firing order of methods between objects, but am I better off moving such
code to the PreRender methods?

TIA,

John

Marina

Your button click event handler should contain the code to flip the
visibility of the panel. The Page_Load code should only contain code that
should execute no matter what.

"John Spiegel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> I've got an aspx page with a Web user control and (among other things) a
> submit button. When the form is submitted, the same page is to be served
> back up, but with some items changed, mainly a panel visible that had not
> been and a setting in the user control. The problem I'm having is

figuring
> out how to manipulate the flagging values as the submit's handler doesn't
> fire until the page and controls' load methods. I'm a bit fuzzy on the
> firing order of methods between objects, but am I better off moving such
> code to the PreRender methods?
>
> TIA,
>
> John

Eliyahu Goldin

Yes, moving the code to PreRender is a good idea. It is not always possible,
especially if what has been clicked affects databinding, but, if it is not a
case, go for it. You can't change event sequence.

Eliyahu

"John Spiegel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> I've got an aspx page with a Web user control and (among other things) a
> submit button. When the form is submitted, the same page is to be served
> back up, but with some items changed, mainly a panel visible that had not
> been and a setting in the user control. The problem I'm having is

figuring
> out how to manipulate the flagging values as the submit's handler doesn't
> fire until the page and controls' load methods. I'm a bit fuzzy on the
> firing order of methods between objects, but am I better off moving such
> code to the PreRender methods?
>
> TIA,
>
> John

Kevin Spencer

Hi John,

I keep the following bookmark handy, when I need to work more closely with
the execution lifecycle:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...nLifecycle.asp

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
Neither a follower nor a lender be.

"John Spiegel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> I've got an aspx page with a Web user control and (among other things) a
> submit button. When the form is submitted, the same page is to be served
> back up, but with some items changed, mainly a panel visible that had not
> been and a setting in the user control. The problem I'm having is
> figuring
> out how to manipulate the flagging values as the submit's handler doesn't
> fire until the page and controls' load methods. I'm a bit fuzzy on the
> firing order of methods between objects, but am I better off moving such
> code to the PreRender methods?
>
> TIA,
>
> John

John Spiegel

Thanks, all! One problem down, 3.2 million to go <g>.