Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > Browser behaviour in javascript redirect!

Browser behaviour in javascript redirect!

umaildaksh@gmail.com

Hi,
Firstly i hope am postin in the right group.If not my sincere
apologies.I need some help with the behaviour of browsers when the
back button is pressed incase of javascript redirection.

when i fetch the url" www.orange.fr" in IE7 and click on "messagerie"
anchor link request for URL : http://r.orange.fr/r/Owebmail_inbox_v2
is sent. I get the response as HTTP/1.1 302 D.plac. Temporairement and
am
redirected to location http://webmail16.orange.fr/webmail/f...URI=inbox.html.
IE then sends the request for the redirected URL and the response got
is :

<head>

<title>mail Orange</title>

<script language="JavaScript">

var url = "http://id.orange.fr/auth_user/bin/auth_user.cgi?
service=communiquer&url=http://webmail16.orange.fr/webmail/fr_FR/
inbox.html";

function loadPage()

{ .self.location = url; }

</script>

</HEAD>

<BODY onLoad="loadPage();">

Due to this Javascript, immediately a request for the URL--http://
id.orange.fr/auth_user/bin/auth_user.cgi?
service=communiquer&url=http://webmail16.orange.fr/webmail/fr_FR/
inbox.html is made.Response is got for the same and the page is
loaded.

However,now there is a problem on pressing the back button in IE.Due
to the Javascript the same URL
http://id.orange.fr/auth_user/bin/au..._FR/inbox.html
is loaded again.This process keeps on repeating.

In Firefox however--on pressing the back button we return to the main
page i.e www.orange.fr

In Safari for windows--On pressing back the first time, the same page
(http://id.orange.fr/auth_user/bin/auth_user.cgi?
service=communiquer&url=http://webmail16.orange.fr/webmail/fr_FR/
inbox.html) is loaded.
On pressing 2nd time a blank page is shown for the URL
http://webmail16.orange.fr/webmail/f...URI=inbox.html
For the 3rd time, the homepage(orange.fr) is shown.

In case of such a javascript what is the correct and expected
behaviour of a browser as all 3 of these browsers show different
behaviours.Also, could anyone lead me to http or maybe even html
specifications stating the correct behaviour, as i cudnt come across
any.

Thanks and Regards,
Daksh.