Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > What tools do you use to help design your asp.net apps?

What tools do you use to help design your asp.net apps?

=?Utf-8?B?Y21heQ==?=

I am looking for something to help me with documenting / planning / designing
my asp.net applications.

Once in a while I try doing some UML in Visio, but it really feels like
overkill, espically when the application I am going ot be creating is only a
handfull of pages with limited number of new classes.

It seems most of the tools out there that do design and code generation
would be best suited for large win32 application development, with large
class libraries and numerous dependencies. When creating a simple asp.net
app there are usually not much need for these kinds of things, and usually
the classes are simply the codebehinds.

Any suggestions?

Patrice

You could have a look at VS 2005 (still in beta). AFAIK it includes a visual
desginer for classes...

Try :
http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/is...e/default.aspx

Patrice

--

"cmay" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am looking for something to help me with documenting / planning /

designing
> my asp.net applications.
>
> Once in a while I try doing some UML in Visio, but it really feels like
> overkill, espically when the application I am going ot be creating is only

> handfull of pages with limited number of new classes.
>
> It seems most of the tools out there that do design and code generation
> would be best suited for large win32 application development, with large
> class libraries and numerous dependencies. When creating a simple asp.net
> app there are usually not much need for these kinds of things, and usually
> the classes are simply the codebehinds.
>
> Any suggestions?

Kevin Spencer

I use paper and pen more often than not, for my initial designs. I don't use
Visio unless I want to show it to a client or something of that nature.
Believe it or not, a scratch pad is a great design tool.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
Neither a follower nor a lender be.

"cmay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am looking for something to help me with documenting / planning /
>designing
> my asp.net applications.
>
> Once in a while I try doing some UML in Visio, but it really feels like
> overkill, espically when the application I am going ot be creating is only
> handfull of pages with limited number of new classes.
>
> It seems most of the tools out there that do design and code generation
> would be best suited for large win32 application development, with large
> class libraries and numerous dependencies. When creating a simple asp.net
> app there are usually not much need for these kinds of things, and usually
> the classes are simply the codebehinds.
>
> Any suggestions?

Eliyahu Goldin

Note, that Kevin doesn't use an eraser

Eliyahu

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I use paper and pen more often than not, for my initial designs. I don't

use
> Visio unless I want to show it to a client or something of that nature.
> Believe it or not, a scratch pad is a great design tool.
>
> --
> HTH,
>
> Kevin Spencer
> Microsoft MVP
> .Net Developer
> Neither a follower nor a lender be.
>
> "cmay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I am looking for something to help me with documenting / planning /
> >designing
> > my asp.net applications.
> >
> > Once in a while I try doing some UML in Visio, but it really feels like
> > overkill, espically when the application I am going ot be creating is

only
> > handfull of pages with limited number of new classes.
> >
> > It seems most of the tools out there that do design and code generation
> > would be best suited for large win32 application development, with large
> > class libraries and numerous dependencies. When creating a simple

asp.net
> > app there are usually not much need for these kinds of things, and

usually
> > the classes are simply the codebehinds.
> >
> > Any suggestions?

Kevin Spencer

Nah, scribbling is much more fun!

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
Neither a follower nor a lender be.

news:%23bDR1%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Note, that Kevin doesn't use an eraser
>
> Eliyahu

> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I use paper and pen more often than not, for my initial designs. I don't

> use
>> Visio unless I want to show it to a client or something of that nature.
>> Believe it or not, a scratch pad is a great design tool.
>>
>> --
>> HTH,
>>
>> Kevin Spencer
>> Microsoft MVP
>> .Net Developer
>> Neither a follower nor a lender be.
>>
>> "cmay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I am looking for something to help me with documenting / planning /
>> >designing
>> > my asp.net applications.
>> >
>> > Once in a while I try doing some UML in Visio, but it really feels like
>> > overkill, espically when the application I am going ot be creating is

> only
>> > handfull of pages with limited number of new classes.
>> >
>> > It seems most of the tools out there that do design and code generation
>> > would be best suited for large win32 application development, with
>> > large
>> > class libraries and numerous dependencies. When creating a simple

> asp.net
>> > app there are usually not much need for these kinds of things, and

> usually
>> > the classes are simply the codebehinds.
>> >
>> > Any suggestions?

=?Utf-8?B?WWF0ZW5kcmEgS2hhbmRlbHdhbA==?=

true guys .... unless I have a couple of pages with diagrams and code lets
scribbled here and there I dont feel like I am wolking on something serious
but yeah if it gets more then a cpl of pages I think one should start using
tools like visio.

"Kevin Spencer" wrote:

> Nah, scribbling is much more fun!
>
> --
> HTH,
>
> Kevin Spencer
> Microsoft MVP
> ..Net Developer
> Neither a follower nor a lender be.
>
> "Eliyahu Goldin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%23bDR1%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Note, that Kevin doesn't use an eraser
> >
> > Eliyahu
> >
> > "Kevin Spencer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> I use paper and pen more often than not, for my initial designs. I don't

> > use
> >> Visio unless I want to show it to a client or something of that nature.
> >> Believe it or not, a scratch pad is a great design tool.
> >>
> >> --
> >> HTH,
> >>
> >> Kevin Spencer
> >> Microsoft MVP
> >> .Net Developer
> >> Neither a follower nor a lender be.
> >>
> >> "cmay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > only

> > asp.net

> > usually

No one

cmay wrote:
> I am looking for something to help me with documenting / planning / designing
> my asp.net applications.
>
> Once in a while I try doing some UML in Visio, but it really feels like
> overkill, espically when the application I am going ot be creating is only a
> handfull of pages with limited number of new classes.
>
> It seems most of the tools out there that do design and code generation
> would be best suited for large win32 application development, with large
> class libraries and numerous dependencies. When creating a simple asp.net
> app there are usually not much need for these kinds of things, and usually
> the classes are simply the codebehinds.
>
> Any suggestions?

Visio is a terrible design tool for anything. I only use it to create
documentation. Usually I do design on whiteboard and paper with at
least one other person so there is a difference of opinion.

Kevin Spencer

> documentation. Usually I do design on whiteboard and paper with at least
> one other person so there is a difference of opinion.

But what if he/she agrees with you?

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
Neither a follower nor a lender be.

"No one" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-net.com...
> cmay wrote:
>> I am looking for something to help me with documenting / planning /
>> designing my asp.net applications.
>>
>> Once in a while I try doing some UML in Visio, but it really feels like
>> overkill, espically when the application I am going ot be creating is
>> only a handfull of pages with limited number of new classes. It seems
>> most of the tools out there that do design and code generation would be
>> best suited for large win32 application development, with large class
>> libraries and numerous dependencies. When creating a simple asp.net app
>> there are usually not much need for these kinds of things, and usually
>> the classes are simply the codebehinds.
>>
>> Any suggestions?

> Visio is a terrible design tool for anything. I only use it to create
> documentation. Usually I do design on whiteboard and paper with at least
> one other person so there is a difference of opinion.

Bob Moore

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 08:54:24 -0500, Kevin Spencer wrote:

>But what if he/she agrees with you?

five developers == at least six opinions

--
Bob Moore
http://bobmoore.mvps.org/