Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > How to edit a Microsoft SQL database online?

How to edit a Microsoft SQL database online?

Miguel Dias Moura

Hello,

On a web site I manage I have a Microsoft SQL database.

As administrator I would like to easily edit, access, delete, add any
record in the database tables while the database is on the server where
I host my web site.

Is there any software to do this?

Something like Enterprise Manager that allows me to access the Microsoft
SQL database online.

Sure I could create an administration section on my web site but it
would be a lost of time since I am the only one which has access to the
database.

Thanks,
Miguel

Mark Fitzpatrick

Miguel,
There's a great project over at SourceForge that can be used to
manage a db and create ad-hoc queries as well. It's a darned good attempt to
port the SQL Enterprise Manager to ASP.Net. Check out:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/asp-ent-man/

Hope this helps,
Mark Fitzpatrick
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

"Miguel Dias Moura" <md*REMOVE*moura@*NOSPAM*gmail.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> On a web site I manage I have a Microsoft SQL database.
>
> As administrator I would like to easily edit, access, delete, add any
> record in the database tables while the database is on the server where I
> host my web site.
>
> Is there any software to do this?
>
> Something like Enterprise Manager that allows me to access the Microsoft
> SQL database online.
>
> Sure I could create an administration section on my web site but it would
> be a lost of time since I am the only one which has access to the
> database.
>
> Thanks,
> Miguel

Karl Seguin

Google is your friend..

Karl

--
MY ASP.Net tutorials
http://www.openmymind.net/

"Miguel Dias Moura" <md*REMOVE*moura@*NOSPAM*gmail.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> On a web site I manage I have a Microsoft SQL database.
>
> As administrator I would like to easily edit, access, delete, add any
> record in the database tables while the database is on the server where
> I host my web site.
>
> Is there any software to do this?
>
> Something like Enterprise Manager that allows me to access the Microsoft
> SQL database online.
>
> Sure I could create an administration section on my web site but it
> would be a lost of time since I am the only one which has access to the
> database.
>
> Thanks,
> Miguel

Steven Licciardi

I must be missing something here, but why can't you use Enterprise Manager?
Does your firewall block port 1433 (or whatever it's set to)? Or do you
specifically want a web based management facility?

Just curious.

> Google is your friend..
>
> Karl
>
> --
> MY ASP.Net tutorials
> http://www.openmymind.net/
>

> "Miguel Dias Moura" <md*REMOVE*moura@*NOSPAM*gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hello,
>>
>> On a web site I manage I have a Microsoft SQL database.
>>
>> As administrator I would like to easily edit, access, delete, add any
>> record in the database tables while the database is on the server where
>> I host my web site.
>>
>> Is there any software to do this?
>>
>> Something like Enterprise Manager that allows me to access the Microsoft
>> SQL database online.
>>
>> Sure I could create an administration section on my web site but it
>> would be a lost of time since I am the only one which has access to the
>> database.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Miguel

Andy

miguel,

asp.net enterprise manager will do just fine for that purpose (even though i
never use it because it can't recognize my logon info).
you can also use MS SQL server's Query Analyzer or create a new server
instance in Enterprise Manager.
just supply your SQL server's IP and username/password and you're on.

HTH,
andy