Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > Mouseover and print and screen shot

Mouseover and print and screen shot

bdy120602@gmail.com

Is it possible, when a user or viewer of your Web page, prints or
takes a screen shot of a Web page with mousover (roll-over) text in
it, to have that text printed or captures as part of the screen shot?
If so, how?

Thanks,

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

> Is it possible, when a user or viewer of your Web page, prints or
> takes a screen shot of a Web page with mousover (roll-over) text in
> it, to have that text printed or captures as part of the screen shot?
> If so, how?

Using the pointing device for the rollover and the keyboard for the screen
shot (Windows: Print oder Alt+Print). I'm not sure about printing, but
there is a shortcut for this as well (usually Ctrl+P); or they could print
the screen shot.

For Firefox, ScreenGrab! provides advanced screen shot options. ScreenGrab!
is written in JavaScript[tm] and uses Gecko components which might give you
some idea how to accomplish this in a controlled environment.

Anything else is not possible with scripting, at least not cross-browser.

PointedEars
will want to steal it.)

bdy120602@gmail.com

On May 20, 5:08*pm, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > Is it possible, when a user or viewer of your Web page, prints or
> > takes a screen shot of a Web page with mousover (roll-over) text in
> > it, to have that text printed or captures as part of the screen shot?
> > If so, how?

> Using the pointing device for the rollover and the keyboard for the screen
> shot (Windows: Print oder Alt+Print). *I'm not sure about printing, but
> there is a shortcut for this as well (usually Ctrl+P); or they could print
> the screen shot.
>
> For Firefox, ScreenGrab! provides advanced screen shot options. *ScreenGrab!
> is written in JavaScript[tm] and uses Gecko components which might give you
> some idea how to accomplish this in a controlled environment.
>
> Anything else is not possible with scripting, at least not cross-browser.
>
> PointedEars
> --
> Use any version of Microsoft Frontpage to create your site.
> (This won't prevent people from viewing your source, but no one
> will want to steal it.)
> * -- from <http://www.vortex-webdesign.com/help/hidesource.htm>

OK, yes, I should have made it clear that I wanted to do it through
scripting. So, my question is, can I do the aforementioned via script?
When you say cross-browser, do you mean, for IE but not for Firefox,
or for Firefox but not for IE, or do you mean not at the script-level?
Can you set a control for the page to perform an action, which in this
case would be to make visible the rollover text, when a combination of
keys are pressed, or when one key is pressed. Say, when someone
presses "print screen" or ctrl+ p? Thanks

Thanks,

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>> Is it possible, when a user or viewer of your Web page, prints or
>>> takes a screen shot of a Web page with mousover (roll-over) text in
>>> it, to have that text printed or captures as part of the screen shot?
>>> If so, how?

>> Using the pointing device for the rollover and the keyboard for the screen
>> shot (Windows: Print oder Alt+Print). I'm not sure about printing, but
>> there is a shortcut for this as well (usually Ctrl+P); or they could print
>> the screen shot.
>>
>> For Firefox, ScreenGrab! provides advanced screen shot options. ScreenGrab!
>> is written in JavaScript[tm] and uses Gecko components which might give you
>> some idea how to accomplish this in a controlled environment.
>>
>> Anything else is not possible with scripting, at least not cross-browser.
>> [...]

> OK, yes, I should have made it clear that I wanted to do it through
> scripting. So, my question is, can I do the aforementioned via script?

Depends. See above.

> When you say cross-browser, do you mean, for IE but not for Firefox,
> or for Firefox but not for IE,

Yes.

> or do you mean not at the script-level?

Scripting alone cannot do it, you can only use it to use an API that can
do it. Like the Gecko (XPCOM) components I mentioned before. However, they
are not available from within the sandbox without requesting further privileges.

> Can you set a control for the page to perform an action, which in this
> case would be to make visible the rollover text, when a combination of
> keys are pressed, or when one key is pressed. Say, when someone
> presses "print screen" or ctrl+ p? Thanks

It is possible to recognize if PrintScr or Ctrl+P were used in Firefox, and
Ctrl+P in IE. Then, in the keyboard event listener, you can make the text
visible. However, for Ctrl+P I suggest you use a print stylesheet instead.

See e.g. http://www.brain4.de/programmierecke/js/tastatur.php for the test
case and the source code.

Please trim your quotes.

PointedEars

bdy120602@gmail.com

> Please trim your quotes.

When you say trim quotes, do you mean do what I did in this message:
only using the quote relevant to my post rather than the entire
previous discussion? I haven't been using discussion groups as a
resource for a long time and as frequently as one might think, so this
question is not sarcastic in any way.

Thanks again for all the info. you've provided

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Please trim your quotes.

> When you say trim quotes, do you mean do what I did in this message:
> only using the quote relevant to my post rather than the entire
> previous discussion?

Exactly, but while trimming please keep the attribution line. It is
important for assigning a quoted text to its author, thus making it
possible even for the casual reader to follow the discussion easily.

> I haven't been using discussion groups as a resource for a long time
> and as frequently as one might think, so this question is not sarcastic
> in any way.

The FAQ and FAQ Notes of this newsgroup, among other Usenet manuals, provide
further information regarding this subject:

http://jibbering.com/faq/#FAQ2_3
http://www.jibbering.com/faq/faq_notes/clj_posts.html

I would also like to suggest you either "Subscribe" to this newsgroup in
Google Groups, allowing you to post under your real name, or to use a
locally installed newsreader application instead to facilitate this, which
would provide even more benefits to you and your readers (GG's Web interface
has a number of nasty bugs and is frequently used by spammers, therefore
subject to user's filter rules). For the latter, I can recommend Mozilla
Thunderbird (which I am using now) or KNode (which I have used before).

http://getthunderbird.com/
http://kontact.kde.org/knode/

> Thanks again for all the info. you've provided

You are welcome.

Regards,

PointedEars