Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Extension that saves source URL inside saved html pg??

Extension that saves source URL inside saved html pg??

S.Rodgers

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 03:52:56 GMT, Moz Champion
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>S.Rodgers wrote:
>> On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 17:31:30 +0100, David Harrison
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>What I *think* the OP means is that, when you save a whole page to your
>>>hard drive, there would be some sort of note embedded about that page's
>>>original URL. I see what you mean, though -- it was a rather ambiguous
>>>request!

>> Yes, that is it exactly.
>>
>> Is there an extension that does this pls?
>>
>> If you didn't know what I meant, and it was pretty straightforward if
>> you ever saved webpages in IE, it's because you've not used this
>> feature before. Granted, IE is not everyone's favourite and it isn't
>> mine either, but all issues of security aside, IE has a couple of
>> built-in features like saving the source URL within the HTML code in
>> any page saved onto an HDD, etc. I'm looking for an extension that
>> gives me that functionality in FF.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

>Hmm, okay, I see what you mean.
>Workarounds include renaming the page when saved to reflect the url, but
>that may be the solution you find as cumbersome
>
>Some extensions that you may find useful in your quest
>http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=522 Copy URL Plus 1.3
>http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=28 Create Shortcut 0.3
>http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=1214 File Title 0.1
> "Save as" title as default like in IE
>
>I didnt go thru the complete list of extensions, but those three
>(especially the last one) may be of assistance

These extensions are great, thank you. I see, though, that none do
what is needed <sigh>. Ah well, it's worth a try. My searches and
scrolling through descriptions of probably about a hundred extensions
didn't reveal anything. I have the "View this page in IE" extension
so when I need to save a page, I just re-open in IE and save. What
can one do? I am dependent on IE when I need to save a page that I
will keep (which is often) and when I need to retrieve components from
a webpage, though I do find that my newly acquired "Download Embedded"
extension works sometimes with some of the elements of a webpage I
need to save.

I'll keep using IE for now when saving pages. I save too many when
I'm doing research to fiddle. I'll save quite a few pages during a
research session then go back immediately, or days or weeks (and once
or twice months) later and only keep what I need. I extract the
source URL and have an AutoIt script to put it at the top of the saved
pages I do keep so that when the saved page is opened, I can go to to
source URL easily and quickly.

p.s., I just though it might have been better had I included an
example of what IE does. From one of the extensions pages saved above
using IE, here is what the first 3 lines or so look like when opened
in Notepad:

"http://www.w3c.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/loose.dtd">
<!-- saved from
url=(0053)http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=28 -->
<HTML lang=en xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"
xml:lang="en"><HEAD><TITLE>Create Shortcut 0.3 - The Extensions Mirror

That "saved from" line is where I extract the URL from. I'll just
copy that address to the clipboard, invoke an AutoIt script I wrote up
and dump the path into the box I scripted up to appear and it will
dump the same line above into the saved webpage opened in Notepad, but
will also give me a clickable link:

"... <!--HTML doc's URL:-->
<b><font color=#00FFFF><A HREF="<OCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML
4.01 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3c.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/loose.dtd">">
<OCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3c.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/loose.dtd">
</A></b></font>

When I next open that saved HTML page, I just click on the link at the
top of the page and get to the original webpage I saved this from.

Hope that's not too, too confusing. If you save as many webpages as I
do, you find the quickest and easiest way to do this. I found apps
that were written to do this (i.e., InjectURL) fail often. This works
every time with no fuss, no muss for me.

Well, I'll keep looking. Someone, somewhere needs this, too.

In an emergency when I don't want to be bothered by opening IE, the
other extensions above wouldn't really be as I just use the "SendTo"
extension which saves the URL for any text snippet I highlight, not
unlike the "CopyURL+" extension above except I only get a URL.

Thanks much. I'm testing the rest of the extensions. Appreciate it.

S.Rodgers

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 10:34:56 -0400, S.Rodgers
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 03:52:56 GMT, Moz Champion
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>S.Rodgers wrote:

[snip]

>>Some extensions that you may find useful in your quest
>>http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=522 Copy URL Plus 1.3
>>http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=28 Create Shortcut 0.3
>>http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=1214 File Title 0.1
>> "Save as" title as default like in IE

Just thought I'd give a quick review of what I found. CopyURL+, good,
but I can do the same and better with "SendTo" simply because I'm
going to copy info I need anyway and what CopyURL+ saves I don't need.
Also, SendTo saves URL at top of page with date/time of text capture
which is definitely something I _do_ need. But cool extension,
nonetheless.

Create Shortcut is awesome. Much better, for me, than DeskCut so I
uninstalled it and am keeping Shortcut. I took off the prompt so that
it just saves the shortcut like in IE with no fuss, no muss. Also,
the name of the extension much better than create "deskcut" (?). <g>

File Title, this one I didn't see any benefit to. But would be good
for many.

Thanks for these. I always have fun fine-tuning my FF and trying
these out. If I can just get an extension to automatically save the
source URL within the HTML page saved on the HDD, that would make FF
practically perfect <g>.

Cheers! D

David Harrison

On 4/6/2005 3:34 PM, S.Rodgers said:

> p.s., I just though it might have been better had I included an
> example of what IE does. From one of the extensions pages saved above
> using IE, here is what the first 3 lines or so look like when opened
> in Notepad:

> "http://www.w3c.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/loose.dtd">
> <!-- saved from
> url=(0053)http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=28 -->

[Scuse the snippage, Moz Champion et al, but it's getting kind of long!]

Actually, that's not a bad idea. It might be nice to see that as a check
box in the 'Save Page As' dialog box: "Embed HTML comment on page's
original URL" or something...

cheers,

David H

S.Rodgers

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 16:07:57 +0100, David Harrison
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 4/6/2005 3:34 PM, S.Rodgers said:
>
>> p.s., I just though it might have been better had I included an
>> example of what IE does. From one of the extensions pages saved above
>> using IE, here is what the first 3 lines or so look like when opened
>> in Notepad:
>>
>> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
>> "http://www.w3c.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/loose.dtd">
>> <!-- saved from
>> url=(0053)http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=28 -->

>[Scuse the snippage, Moz Champion et al, but it's getting kind of long!]
>

>Actually, that's not a bad idea. It might be nice to see that as a check
>box in the 'Save Page As' dialog box: "Embed HTML comment on page's
>original URL" or something...
>
>cheers,

Yes, I feell it would make a good extension. I'm still opening up
pages I want in IE whenever I need source URL. Because the source is
copied, I can save tons of pages onto my desktop for later review.
Sometimes I'm coming back to these days or weeks later, so it's a neat
thing that IE does without one doing anything. ('course, I'm really
so getting used to the power of FF with all these extensions! <g>)