Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > Is there a method to send gmail through a xmlhttprequest?

Is there a method to send gmail through a xmlhttprequest?

ithinc

Is there a method to send gmail through a xmlhttprequest?

Evertjan.

ithinc wrote on 15 apr 2008 in comp.lang.javascript:

> Is there a method to send gmail through a xmlhttprequest?

Gmail is an interactive website with email/webmile facilities.

No, you cannot sent the whole interactive website with xmlhttprequest,
as you cannot send a cow as an email attachment.

But probably you knew all that and need only to refrase your Q
to what you really want to do?

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

ithinc wrote:
> Is there a method to send gmail through a xmlhttprequest?

Probably yes. You can log the request-response chain and corresponding
headers required to send e-mail through GMail (including the authentication
process), and program those requests with XHR. Since Cross-Site Scripting
is not possible with XHR, you need an additional (server-side) application
to serve as a HTTP proxy for your requests.

PointedEars
--
realism: HTML 4.01 Strict
evangelism: XHTML 1.0 Strict

ithinc

On Apr 16, 1:50 am, "Evertjan." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Is there a method to send gmail through a xmlhttprequest?

> Gmail is an interactive website with email/webmile facilities.
>
> No, you cannot sent the whole interactive website with xmlhttprequest,
> as you cannot send a cow as an email attachment.

Hi Evertjan, havn't you seen my gmail is different with yours, but in
lower case?

On Apr 16, 8:47 am, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> > Is there a method to send gmail through a xmlhttprequest?

> Probably yes. You can log the request-response chain and corresponding
> headers required to send e-mail through GMail (including the authentication
> process), and program those requests with XHR. Since Cross-Site Scripting
> is not possible with XHR, you need an additional (server-side) application
> to serve as a HTTP proxy for your requests.

Thank you, PointedEars. I've got it, using the Gmail basic HTML pages.
In total I use two http requests, one to get the compose form, and the
other to send the compose form, perfectly. It's not as complicated as
you described.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

ithinc wrote:
> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn [...] wrote:
>>> Is there a method to send gmail through a xmlhttprequest?

>> Probably yes. You can log the request-response chain and corresponding
>> headers required to send e-mail through GMail (including the authentication
>> process), and program those requests with XHR. Since Cross-Site Scripting
>> is not possible with XHR, you need an additional (server-side) application
>> to serve as a HTTP proxy for your requests.

> Thank you, PointedEars. I've got it, using the Gmail basic HTML pages.
> In total I use two http requests, one to get the compose form, and the
> other to send the compose form, perfectly. It's not as complicated as
> you described.

Since I don't use GMail (I prefer to use Web interfaces to other Internet
services only when I have to), I did not know how they submit their data, so
I provided you with the general approach for remote-controlling any Web
application. Good for you if you found an easier solution with this one

BTW: NetNews is a thread-based communications medium, unlike Web forums that
you might already know. The optimal way of replying in Usenet is to refer
only to the posting's precursor. At least you should not quote postings in
a different subthread as you did here.

PointedEars