Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > using EXCEL SHEET with ASP.NET

using EXCEL SHEET with ASP.NET

=?Utf-8?B?cG11ZA==?=

Hi,

I need to use an Excel Sheet in ASP.NET application so that the users can
enter (copy, paste ) large number of rows in this Excel Sheet. Also, Whatever
the USER ENETRS needs to go to the SQL DATABASE, probably by the click of a
button.

Is this possible? & what is the BEST APPROACH for doing this? & also if any
links are there do tell those to me too coz I have no idea how to go about
doing it.

Thanks
--
pmud

Fabio

pmud wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to use an Excel Sheet in ASP.NET application so that the users can
> enter (copy, paste ) large number of rows in this Excel Sheet. Also, Whatever
> the USER ENETRS needs to go to the SQL DATABASE, probably by the click of a
> button.

Hey pmud,
Have a look at this (watch for wrapping)
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...hiteRabbit.asp

You may need Office Tools for Visual Studio - don't know if you can download it.

--
Software is like sex: it's better when it's free -- [Linus Torvalds]

Fabio Marini - A+, RHCT, MCDBA, MCAD.NET
To reply: news [at] mamakin1976 [dot] plus [dot] com

=?Utf-8?B?cG11ZA==?=

Hi Fabio,

I already have the Visual Studio.Net Enterprise Edition. Thses office tools
come with it. But i dont think these were installed coz the server already
had MS Excel installed on it. Are thses tools something different?

"Fabio" wrote:

> pmud wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I need to use an Excel Sheet in ASP.NET application so that the users can
> > enter (copy, paste ) large number of rows in this Excel Sheet. Also, Whatever
> > the USER ENETRS needs to go to the SQL DATABASE, probably by the click of a
> > button.

> Hey pmud,
> Have a look at this (watch for wrapping)
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...hiteRabbit.asp
>
> You may need Office Tools for Visual Studio - don't know if you can download it.
>
> --
> Software is like sex: it's better when it's free -- [Linus Torvalds]
>
> Fabio Marini - A+, RHCT, MCDBA, MCAD.NET
> To reply: news [at] mamakin1976 [dot] plus [dot] com

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Your best bet would be to create a Web service with ASP.NET and have users
access it using Excel on their desktop.

How To Use an XML Web Service by Using ASP.NET from an Office VBA Macro in
Word or Excel

"This article demonstrates how to use an XML Web service using ASP.NET from
a Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) macro in Word or Excel. "

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...l/odc_xlws.asp

http://www.codeproject.com/vb/net/Webservices.asp

Ken
Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]

"pmud" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I need to use an Excel Sheet in ASP.NET application so that the users can
> enter (copy, paste ) large number of rows in this Excel Sheet. Also,
> Whatever
> the USER ENETRS needs to go to the SQL DATABASE, probably by the click of
> button.
>
> Is this possible? & what is the BEST APPROACH for doing this? & also if
> any
> links are there do tell those to me too coz I have no idea how to go about
> doing it.
>
> Thanks
> --
> pmud

=?Utf-8?B?cG11ZA==?=

I need to code in C#. Could you please tell me some site for C# & not VB?

Thanks

"Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]" wrote:

> Your best bet would be to create a Web service with ASP.NET and have users
> access it using Excel on their desktop.
>
> How To Use an XML Web Service by Using ASP.NET from an Office VBA Macro in
> Word or Excel
>
> "This article demonstrates how to use an XML Web service using ASP.NET from
> a Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) macro in Word or Excel. "

> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...l/odc_xlws.asp
>
> http://www.codeproject.com/vb/net/Webservices.asp
>
> Ken
> Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]
>

> "pmud" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I need to use an Excel Sheet in ASP.NET application so that the users can
> > enter (copy, paste ) large number of rows in this Excel Sheet. Also,
> > Whatever
> > the USER ENETRS needs to go to the SQL DATABASE, probably by the click of
> > button.
> >
> > Is this possible? & what is the BEST APPROACH for doing this? & also if
> > any
> > links are there do tell those to me too coz I have no idea how to go about
> > doing it.
> >
> > Thanks
> > --
> > pmud

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

"pmud" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I need to code in C#. Could you please tell me some site for C# & not VB?
>
> Thanks
>
> "Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Your best bet would be to create a Web service with ASP.NET and have
>> users
>> access it using Excel on their desktop.
>>
>> How To Use an XML Web Service by Using ASP.NET from an Office VBA Macro
>> in
>> Word or Excel
>>
>> "This article demonstrates how to use an XML Web service using ASP.NET
>> from
>> a Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) macro in Word or Excel. "

>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...l/odc_xlws.asp
>>
>> http://www.codeproject.com/vb/net/Webservices.asp
>>
>> Ken
>> Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]
>>

>> "pmud" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I need to use an Excel Sheet in ASP.NET application so that the users
>> > can
>> > enter (copy, paste ) large number of rows in this Excel Sheet. Also,
>> > Whatever
>> > the USER ENETRS needs to go to the SQL DATABASE, probably by the click
>> > of
>> > button.
>> >
>> > Is this possible? & what is the BEST APPROACH for doing this? & also if
>> > any
>> > links are there do tell those to me too coz I have no idea how to go
>> > about
>> > doing it.
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> > --
>> > pmud

Fabio

pmud wrote:
> I already have the Visual Studio.Net Enterprise Edition. Thses office tools
> come with it. But i dont think these were installed coz the server already
> had MS Excel installed on it. Are thses tools something different?

No, I don't think so. Didn't know they come with the Enterprise version of VS -
good to know...

Have fun!

--
Software is like sex: it's better when it's free -- [Linus Torvalds]

Fabio Marini - A+, RHCT, MCDBA, MCAD.NET
To reply: news [at] mamakin1976 [dot] plus [dot] com

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

This 3rd party product provides the functionality you need:
http://www.aspose.com/Products/Aspose.excel/

--
I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

"pmud" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I need to use an Excel Sheet in ASP.NET application so that the users can
> enter (copy, paste ) large number of rows in this Excel Sheet. Also,
> Whatever
> the USER ENETRS needs to go to the SQL DATABASE, probably by the click of
> button.
>
> Is this possible? & what is the BEST APPROACH for doing this? & also if
> any
> links are there do tell those to me too coz I have no idea how to go about
> doing it.
>
> Thanks
> --
> pmud

=?Utf-8?B?cG11ZA==?=

Hi Ken ,
I saw the link u gave me for WEb services & C#. But can you please explain a
little in detail. I basically need the user to see an Excel sheet in an
application. In this excel sheet the user can copy & paste rows of data &
when he clicks a buttton, this data FROM Excel SHEET should go to SQL
DATABASE.

I searched a lot on net also but only found ways to export data TO excel
sheet & not how to do it the other way round. I am new to ASP.NET & C# & have
never used WebService before too. I would be grateful if you could help.

Thanks

"Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]" wrote:

> This 3rd party product provides the functionality you need:
> http://www.aspose.com/Products/Aspose.excel/
>
> --
> I hope this helps,
> Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP
> http://Steve.Orr.net
>

> "pmud" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I need to use an Excel Sheet in ASP.NET application so that the users can
> > enter (copy, paste ) large number of rows in this Excel Sheet. Also,
> > Whatever
> > the USER ENETRS needs to go to the SQL DATABASE, probably by the click of
> > button.
> >
> > Is this possible? & what is the BEST APPROACH for doing this? & also if
> > any
> > links are there do tell those to me too coz I have no idea how to go about
> > doing it.
> >
> > Thanks
> > --
> > pmud

=?Utf-8?B?cG11ZA==?=

Hi Steve,

I dont want to purchase Aspose. I have MSDN Universal SUbscription. Earlier,
in a hurry I wrote that i have the Enterprise edition.But I have MSDN
Universal.I dont think I want to buy anythg else now. But if you could please
suggest in what way can I give the users the functionality of copying &
pasting rows of data so that they can go to the database. By using text boxes
, the user can enter only one record at a time which can be very time
consuming. I would be glad if you could help.