Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > difference between 'for (var i=0; i < x.length; i++)' and 'for (var iin x)'

Reply
Thread Tools

difference between 'for (var i=0; i < x.length; i++)' and 'for (var iin x)'

 
 
erdibalint
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-20-2008
Hi,

I've come across the problem and I spent a remarkable amount of time
debugging at the end of which I found the cause of the bug to be the
following:

var arr = ['a', 'b', 'c', 'd'];
var arr2 = [];
for (var i=0; i < arr.length; i++) {
var elt = arr[i];
arr2.push(elt);
}
// arr2 equals ["a", "b", "c", "d"]

var arr = ['a', 'b', 'c', 'd'];
var arr2 = [];
for (var i in arr) {
var elt = arr[i];
arr2.push(elt);
}
// arr2 equals ["a", "b", "c", "d", function()]

I thought that the second type of for loop is identical to the first
one and just adds syntetic sugar. I guess I was wrong, can anyone shed
some light on how the two loops are different?

Thank you,
Bálint
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
RobG
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-20-2008
erdibalint wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've come across the problem and I spent a remarkable amount of time
> debugging at the end of which I found the cause of the bug to be the
> following:
>
> var arr = ['a', 'b', 'c', 'd'];
> var arr2 = [];
> for (var i=0; i < arr.length; i++) {
> var elt = arr[i];
> arr2.push(elt);
> }
> // arr2 equals ["a", "b", "c", "d"]
>
> var arr = ['a', 'b', 'c', 'd'];
> var arr2 = [];
> for (var i in arr) {
> var elt = arr[i];
> arr2.push(elt);
> }
> // arr2 equals ["a", "b", "c", "d", function()]
>
> I thought that the second type of for loop is identical to the first
> one and just adds syntetic sugar. I guess I was wrong, can anyone shed
> some light on how the two loops are different?


"syntactic sugar"?

The first loops over the indexes of arr, from 0 to (arr.length - 1).

The second loops over the enumerable properties of arr, which, for an
unmodified Array and where Array.prototype remains unmodified, will be
those index[1] properties that have been assigned a value.

However, if either the array object itself (arr) or Array.prototype have
been modified with additional properties that aren't indexes, the second
will also loop over those also whereas the first will not.

A for..in loop is typically only used for sparse arrays, i.e. where the
length is large but only a few values have been assigned to some
indexes, where it is significantly faster than iterating over all the
indexes from 0 to length-1.

Some libraries extend Array.prototype and some script authors treat
array objects as "hashes". Both of which may cause for..in loops to do
unexpected things that otherwise they may not.


1. An array index is just a property that has an integer as its property
name, although the index is still a string.


--
Rob
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our
exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the
place for the first time." -- T. S. Eliot
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
erdibalint
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-20-2008
Thank you for your clear explanation. Synthetic sugar means a simpler
(more concise or easier to retain) form of an expression that does the
same (has the same semantics) as the more complex one.

On Feb 20, 12:49 pm, RobG <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "syntactic sugar"?
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Lasse Reichstein Nielsen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-20-2008
Randy Webb <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Is there any assurance that for-in will give them back to you in any
> predictable order?


The specification of the for-in statement says:
"The order of enumeration is defined by the object."
A quick scan doesn't show any specification for Array objects.

/L
--
Lasse Reichstein Nielsen - http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
DHTML Death Colors: <URL:http://www.infimum.dk/HTML/rasterTriangleDOM.html>
'Faith without judgement merely degrades the spirit divine.'
 
Reply With Quote
 
RobG
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-21-2008
On Feb 21, 5:43 am, Randy Webb <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> RobG said the following on 2/20/2008 6:49 AM:
>
>
>
> > erdibalint wrote:
> >> Hi,

>
> >> I've come across the problem and I spent a remarkable amount of time
> >> debugging at the end of which I found the cause of the bug to be the
> >> following:

>
> >> var arr = ['a', 'b', 'c', 'd'];
> >> var arr2 = [];
> >> for (var i=0; i < arr.length; i++) {
> >> var elt = arr[i];
> >> arr2.push(elt);
> >> }
> >> // arr2 equals ["a", "b", "c", "d"]

>
> >> var arr = ['a', 'b', 'c', 'd'];
> >> var arr2 = [];
> >> for (var i in arr) {
> >> var elt = arr[i];
> >> arr2.push(elt);
> >> }
> >> // arr2 equals ["a", "b", "c", "d", function()]

>
> >> I thought that the second type of for loop is identical to the first
> >> one and just adds syntetic sugar. I guess I was wrong, can anyone shed
> >> some light on how the two loops are different?

>
> > "syntactic sugar"?

>
> > The first loops over the indexes of arr, from 0 to (arr.length - 1).

>
> > The second loops over the enumerable properties of arr, which, for an
> > unmodified Array and where Array.prototype remains unmodified, will be
> > those index[1] properties that have been assigned a value.

>
> Is there any assurance that for-in will give them back to you in any
> predictable order?


No, well spotted.

As Lasse says, the spec doesn't define any particular order so none
should be expected.

There is useful thread here:

<URL:
http://groups.google.com.au/group/co...c3348ba41b2742
>



--
Rob
 
Reply With Quote
 
Evertjan.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-21-2008
RobG wrote on 21 feb 2008 in comp.lang.javascript:

>> Is there any assurance that for-in will give them back to you in any
>> predictable order?

>
> No, well spotted.
>
> As Lasse says, the spec doesn't define any particular order so none
> should be expected.
>


There are many applications where the order is not important,
just the manipulation on each object member is:

var a = [1,2,3];
a['large'] = 999;
for (var n in a)
a[n]++;
document.write(a.join('-'));
document.write('<br>');
document.write(a['large']);

shows:

2-3-4
1000

========================

To get some idea of the undocumented predictability of the order:

var a = [];
a.push(1,2,3);
a['large'] = 999;
a.push(4,5,6);
for (var n in a)
document.write(a[n] + ' [' + n + ']<br>');

both IE7 and FF2 show:

1 [0]
2 [1]
3 [2]
999 [large]
4 [3]
5 [4]
6 [5]


--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.
(Please change the x'es to dots in my emailaddress)
 
Reply With Quote
 
RobG
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-21-2008
Evertjan. wrote:
> RobG wrote on 21 feb 2008 in comp.lang.javascript:
>
>>> Is there any assurance that for-in will give them back to you in any
>>> predictable order?

>> No, well spotted.
>>
>> As Lasse says, the spec doesn't define any particular order so none
>> should be expected.
>>

>
> There are many applications where the order is not important,
> just the manipulation on each object member is:

[...]

> To get some idea of the undocumented predictability of the order:


To get some idea of the undocumented *un*predictability of the order,
try the following in Firefox:

<div id="xx"></div>
<script type="text/javascript">
function foo(obj) {
var props = {alpha:'alpha', gamma:'gamma',
delta:'delta', beta:'beta'};
for (var p in props) obj[p] = props[p];
var x = [];
for (p in obj){
if (p in props){
x.push(p);
}
}
return x;
}
window.onload = function(){
document.getElementById('xx').innerHTML =
foo(this).join('<br>');
}
</script>

--
Rob
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our
exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the
place for the first time." -- T. S. Eliot
 
Reply With Quote
 
Evertjan.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-21-2008
RobG wrote on 21 feb 2008 in comp.lang.javascript:

> Evertjan. wrote:
>> RobG wrote on 21 feb 2008 in comp.lang.javascript:
>>
>>>> Is there any assurance that for-in will give them back to you in any
>>>> predictable order?
>>> No, well spotted.
>>>
>>> As Lasse says, the spec doesn't define any particular order so none
>>> should be expected.
>>>

>>
>> There are many applications where the order is not important,
>> just the manipulation on each object member is:

> [...]
>
>> To get some idea of the undocumented predictability of the order:

>
> To get some idea of the undocumented *un*predictability of the order,
> try the following in Firefox:
>
> <div id="xx"></div>
> <script type="text/javascript">
> function foo(obj) {
> var props = {alpha:'alpha', gamma:'gamma',
> delta:'delta', beta:'beta'};
> for (var p in props) obj[p] = props[p];
> var x = [];
> for (p in obj){
> if (p in props){
> x.push(p);
> }
> }
> return x;
> }
> window.onload = function(){
> document.getElementById('xx').innerHTML =
> foo(this).join('<br>');
> }
> </script>


Using the global object inpractical to say the least!

This is only because the global object acts differently in FF by
searching the global object from the end [end = last addded member],
possibly to get a speed bonus. If you change the last code part to:

window.onload = function(){
var q = {};
document.getElementById('xx').innerHTML =
foo(q).join('<br>');
}

.... there is no output difference between IE and FF.

=================================================

btw, please try this in IE and FF to see the real working:

<div id="xx"></div>
<script type="text/javascript">
function foo(obj) {
var props = {alpha:'alpha', beta:'beta',
gamma:'gamma', delta:'delta'};
for (var p in props) obj[p] = props[p];
var x = [];
for (p in obj){
//if (p in props){
x.push(p);
//}
}
return x;
}
window.onload = function(){
document.getElementById('xx').innerHTML =
foo(this).join('<br>');
}
</script>

To see what I mean.


--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.
(Please change the x'es to dots in my emailaddress)
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
difference between 'for (var i=0; i < x.length; i++)' and 'for (var iin x)' erdibalint Javascript 0 02-20-2008 11:05 AM
Printing "" and $iIN vedpsingh@gmail.com Perl Misc 5 08-07-2006 10:48 AM
Difference between bin and obj directories and difference between project references and dll references jakk ASP .Net 4 03-22-2005 09:23 PM
How to use Reponse.Redirect in ASP.NET Iin-line Code ? Simon Prince ASP .Net 1 07-14-2004 04:21 PM
Windows setup tab iin add/remove properties ron Computer Support 2 02-17-2004 02:28 AM



Advertisments