Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > new window, tabs and forms

new window, tabs and forms

Andrew Poulos

If I call this:

myWin = window.open("test.htm", "", "");

I get a new separate window in Firefox but if I try it from a form

<form action='test.htm' method='post' target='myWin'
onsubmit="window.open('',this.target,'');return true;">

I get a new tab. How can I get a new separate window from a form?

Andrew Poulos

Peter Michaux

On Jan 13, 8:22 pm, Andrew Poulos <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> If I call this:
>
> myWin = window.open("test.htm", "", "");
>
> I get a new separate window in Firefox but if I try it from a form
>
> <form action='test.htm' method='post' target='myWin'
> onsubmit="window.open('',this.target,'');return true;">
>
> I get a new tab. How can I get a new separate window from a form?

The user's browser preferences should control whether new windows open
in an actual window or a tab. It seems that Firefox is buggy and that
certain combinations of attributes in the third argument of
window.open can trigger an actual new window to open even when the
user has set their preferences to opening new windows in a tab. Try
various combinations for the third attribute like the following

'toolbar=yes,location=yes,status=yes,menubar=yes,s crollbars=yes,resizable=yes